• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Steins;Gate Episodes 1-24 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
awesome show and i look forward to funimation's dub.
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

Listening to the dub will likely result in missing a lot of the great characterization and Japanese voice work. Watch the sub on Crunchyroll.
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
But there was a Delorean, the D-mail and D-movie were named for the car. As per usual source material > adaptions however not to the extent that Chaos;Head was. Explanations were all and all skimped on but what else were you expecting, it's either a whole episode of technobable and diagrams or trust me I happen to be an expert in this. All in all though it was a good adaption though nothing can be said against that, White Fox is really distinguishing itself as a new company. El Psy Congroo
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
Metanomaly wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Listening to the dub will likely result in missing a lot of the great characterization and Japanese voice work. Watch the sub on Crunchyroll.

That is assuming that the dub is not a better Characterization and voice work them the Japanese, Which Oh! Edo Rocket so obviously was better in every aspect.
So, please wait for the dub so then you can chose for yourself.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Metanomaly wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

That is assuming that the dub is not a better Characterization and voice work them the Japanese like Oh! Edo Rocket so obviously was.

Why wait? Go watch it on Crunchyroll immediately.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Metanomaly wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

That is assuming that the dub is not a better Characterization and voice work them the Japanese like Oh! Edo Rocket so obviously was.

I think everydaygamer's original post made it pretty clear he is excited for the dub *because* he enjoyed the sub. Its not unusual to watch things more than once, especially when multiple formats are available (stream/DVD, dub/sub).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

For the BD Surround release! Laughing
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
Excellent review!

As for "waiting for the dub", I suggest enjoying the subtitled version AND purchasing the dub on BluRay so you can enjoy both in 1080p over and over again! I expect that when I re-watch this show, I will find all kinds of stuff that I missed the first time through that will re-blow my mind!

Awesome show! One of my favorites, for sure! (But I have always been a sucker for time travel stories...)
Beized

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Why the shift from reviewing several small groups of episodes for shows that are streaming to the entire show at once? Not that I'm complaining, its nice to know you're in for from start to finish.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:
Why the shift from reviewing several small groups of episodes for shows that are streaming to the entire show at once? Not that I'm complaining, its nice to know you're in for from start to finish.

It's not a shift. Unless one of us reviewers has a particular keen interest in a title, streaming stuff typically gets reviewed whenever we have down time in reviewing hard copies. If that happens at the four episode or midseason point, then that's when the reviews get done. Otherwise we do them at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
All of the mind-twisting stuff was great---so was the suspense. But I think a big reason why this show worked was the characters. Their personalities were wildly different and it was fun watching them play off each other. The last series I remember doing that this well for the whole cast was Rozen Maiden.

Excellent job by all the actors. As far as the dub, I think FUNI will be able to match most of the roles to my liking. The tough one will be Okabe. Mamoru Miyano really nailed it.
ThumperZ1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this show. Loved the "mad scientist" and his relationship with Mayuri. doot de doo! This was an A all across the board for me.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked it well enough to rate it "good" but that first half really took too long to get going (I think it was episode seven before a planned d-mail was sent), IMO Okabe was really getting annoying, and until the second half all of the characterizations of the supporting cast was quite flat.
So I can't second the very high rating.
Yet I do recommend sticking with it, although the second half gets as overtly heavy as the first half was frivolous (admittedly with a couple light breaks) the story itself is quite good and makes up for some faults in story-telling. And yes, it has a very satisfying ending- a rare beast in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
After the trainwreck that was the other semicolon anime, I wasn't expecting very much of S;G as it comes from the same source. So you can imagine my surprise when it actually turns out to be very good. One of the top shows of the year and on my to-buy list.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
After the trainwreck that was the other semicolon anime, I wasn't expecting very much of S;G as it comes from the same source. So you can imagine my surprise when it actually turns out to be very good. One of the top shows of the year and on my to-buy list.

Chaos;HEAd was one of the worst adaptations in anime history. But you're right, the anime was pretty terrible. However, Nitro+ has some amazing stories/games. This adaptation was just handled by different people, and kept much truer to the source. I recommend reading it too, as the english translation of the VN is almost complete.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2