• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Stirs Controversy in China

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Meh, I agree with the newspaper, it's just kids being kids.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bulghod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
This is just like people dropping pennies off the empire state building, saying "Bloody Mary" in a mirror, and pop rocks and coke.
just curiosity to see if something seemingly so powerful is actually true. morbid curiosity.
banning it will just make more kids think it's true. even though the note is pointless and all, banning it doesn't do crap to help stop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
HAHAHAHA

funniest thing i've heard today
nerei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:44 am Reply with quote
I understand the schools and parents' concern and fear that the kids would be influenced by the manga, and that they may actually resort to real killings. However, almost all shows these days have at least a slight element of violence and stuff in them. Why not ban them all in this case?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:56 am Reply with quote
nerei wrote:
I understand the schools and parents' concern and fear that the kids would be influenced by the manga, and that they may actually resort to real killings. However, almost all shows these days have at least a slight element of violence and stuff in them. Why not ban them all in this case?

Then explain why if you gave a kid the Battle Royale Manga, that they would be hopped up on the sex rather than the violence?
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:19 am Reply with quote
Here's a thought: just don't bring the manga to school. You still can't stop kids from reading it and having morbid curiousity about the death note thing anyway. Unless you're a very active parent, I suppose. Ah well, I am amused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
First kids take up Go, now they take up Death Notes.

Like others said, I can think of worse series out there for kids to imitate.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
nerei wrote:

Death note has absolutely no violence whatsoever. Unless these kids suddenly have the ability to stare at a person and kill them, these kids will remain harmless.

Like people have said, it's just kids being kids. I bet they're all buying tons of apples too. It must be funny to watch.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
If Death Notes are outlawed, then only outlaws will use Death Notes.

Let the school authorities do what they want. It's just going to add to the romanticism of the manga by having the kids try to sneak it behind their backs.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
"What happened to you, China? You used to be cool."

That's a pretty stupid ban if I've ever heard one. Until these kids start using real acts of violence in turn with the death notes, then it isn't harming anyone. Kids have been wishing death upon a teacher at one point or another for as long as there have been schools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
Yeah you use to just have this little red book that everybody had better had on their person, or they would have been taken away and never seen again. Cool! They would never have had such problems in those days. Rolling Eyes
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Way ahead of y'all...

DN LJ community's had a field day with this one.

Please note that 1) It's a school district, not the government that is banning these. It's like banning chewing gum or sex bracelets or gang paraphenelia in class or something. 2) They're banning fake Death Notes, not the manga. If you never read the manga and picked up a DN, which says soemthing like "Write someone's name here and he'll die!" you prolly would be freaked out.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Death Note. I personally think it is THE best manga series ever written. But I do believe that making fake Death Notes was in BAD taste. I mean, kids are joking about killing teachers...you say that in post-Columbine America, and you could get suspended. For 99% of kids, this is all just a game, but for that 1% or more it could result in Death. Read the Death Note pilot and you'll see what I mean.

We as a people either underestimate or overestimate kids today. I think schools handle everything wrong: if they want to avoid youth violence, making more rules isn't going to help anything. On the other hand, some kids and anime fans take things too lightly; Death Note is not a violence-and-sex series. It's a deep psychological and philosophical series, and some kids might not get it or will misinterpret it. The fact that kids are using Death Notes playfully is not good; the main THEME of Death Note is that the DN, a symbol of ultimate power, corrupts everyone it touches. The idea of killing criminals may seem either 100% right or 100% wrong, but there's tons of moral ambiguity. However, it is VERY easy to misinterpret this, as the main character, who is seemingly perfect in every way and has a strong sense of justice, is doing completely morally-ambigious things.

All in all, don't overestimate or underestimate kids. I don't think DNs should have been manufactured as they are, but if so, they should be treated as merchandise--like action figures or stationery.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
cubs2084 wrote:
Yeah you use to just have this little red book that everybody had better had on their person, or they would have been taken away and never seen again. Cool! They would never have had such problems in those days. Rolling Eyes

Clearly you aren't a Simpsons fan.

minakichan, how is kids pretending to use death notes to kill teachers any different then kids playing cops and robbers and pretending to kill each other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bulghod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I don't think DNs should have been manufactured as they are, but if so, they should be treated as merchandise--like action figures or stationery.

yea, go on the website, and you can buy your own death note, written by Shinigami Ryuku, saying how you'll die. that potentially could be a real high seller. could sell right along with copies of Chuck Pahlunuik's Lullaby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I really want to read Death Note now. Hopefully Viz will release it in the near future.

And yeah, the ban is pretty funny but not as bad as the whole "Spongebob is Gay" thing, thats just hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3