• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animerica to Radically Change Distribution

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that ANN hasn't posted this yet (from ICV2).

Quote:
Animerica, the anime and manga monthly magazine that Viz has been publishing for over a dozen years, is ending its run as a newsstand, direct market and subscription publication with its June issue (Volume 13, No. 6).  But the publication of the June issue will not mark the end of this venerable source of key information about Japanese culture -- Viz plans to distribute a revamped Animerica at numerous anime conventions starting at Anime Expo in July.  The (presumably free) distribution at anime cons should allow Viz to make the publication available to a larger fan audience, while keeping the majority of its current readers, who are already attending at least one major anime convention anyway.

I'm also surprised that Animerica hasn't posted anything about it on their site.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
So they'll only be making it available at conventions? That can't be right, they must be keeping the subscriptions going too right? Otherwise people would only be able to recieve as many issues as there are cons that they attend and if you don't go to a con then you're out of luck. How is that supposed to make it easier for fans to get a hold of? It sounds to me like they're trying to go subscription only and making them available at conventions for publicity. I somehow doubt they'll be free unless they cut the page count down significantly and only do 4 issues a year or so. Viz isn't well off enough to just give out free magazines under the current format, I don't think ICv2 is being clear enough with their report.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
saishokushugisha wrote:
I'm surprised that ANN hasn't posted this yet (from ICV2).

We were still busy with the server issues, but I'm now catching up on the news.

I posted the article, and received a call from Viz only minutes later.

This is the result:
Quote:
Viz has contacted us to state that the information in this article is incorrect. No details are available at this moment regarding what aspect or aspects (or the entire story) are incorrect, however the originator of the article, ICv2, has removed it from their site.

As such, Anime News Network has removed this article from its front page, but we are leaving the article with this added information to provide the updated information for readers of sites that have linked directly to the article.

-t
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I read it essentially as a soft-pedal announcement that Animerica is being cancelled. They're saying that it'll be a "revamped" Animerica that's available at conventions--
I'm guessing probably a much shorter version given out for free to promote Viz's/Newco's properties.

If you're a subscriber, you should probably expect a subscription refund.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, viz did say that the info was incorrect, so I doubt that it's being canceled. You don't simply cancel the printing of a popular magazine you publish unless, since it's popular, it's most likely making a profit, and therefore is making up for it's cost by a decent margin.
Toboe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing:

Diamond recieved confirmed information that issue #6 for this year is the final issue being released.

What happens after that is "unconfirmed".

So yeah, the news is incomplete, but Animerica as we know it is shuttering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1