• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III's Supporting Voice Cast Changed for 1st Time in 16 Years

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Bah! We knew it had to come at some point, but this really sucks.

Goro Naya /is/ Zenigata... and has been since 1971.

Naya and Masuyama definitely have definitely sounded oooold in the last few specials, but I wasn't expecting Inoue (Goemon) to be thrown out too. He and Kobayashi (Jigen) still sound perfect to me.

Kurita obviously isn't going anywhere. He's still has a lot more time to kick. Hopefully the new cast can bring in something similar to what he did when Yasuo Yamada died :\

(Also, this is definitely Lupin's MAIN cast, not supporting....)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. I loved the old voice cast, but it's time to move on, and start fresh with new voices. Eiko was starting to sound pretty old as Fujiko anyway. I'm exited to hear what this new actress is going to do with the character (Eiko's been the voice of Fujiko on and off from the very beginning)!

But I wouldn't mind it if they gave the original voice actors supporting roles. They're a part of the history of the franchise, even though they're no longer the voices of their original characters.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I think Masayama sounds pretty Shocked and I'm half-surprised at Naya. I hope he's alright. Yama-chan should be alright! I hope...

I'm glad Jigen and Lupin are still the same. Jigen still sounds pretty good.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Just as I cosplayed as Lupin to AWA 2011, oddly enough... *sighs*

Well, as much as it really irritates me, it was inevitable. They've kept the same voice cast for a long while, and while they're still very talented individuals, it's time to inject some fresh blood into the franchise. On the same token, it really blows that they're letting Zenigata's voice go, because being an older man was kind of his forte. It's a relief, though, that they're keeping Lupin. I suppose it was because Yasuo Yamada specifically requested the current voice to be his replacement in his will, and replacing him while he was still able to do the job would be kind of disrespectful.

As a longtime fan, it's disappointing, but logical.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

We wrote "supporting" cast so that people won't read the headline "Lupin III's Voice Cast Changed" and come to the mistaken but understandable assumption that the voice of Lupin III himself was changed.
xScar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
xScar wrote:

We wrote "supporting" cast so that people won't read the headline "Lupin III's Voice Cast Changed" and come to the mistaken but understandable assumption that the voice of Lupin III himself was changed.

Yeah, I realized it was probably something like that after I posted ><

Interesting to see that the new Goemon is also Hisoka in the new Hunter x Hunter, while the new Fujiko is the new Kurapika...

There's some more information about the new special on the official website. Seems they are billing this as, "In celebration on its 40th anniversary, we're giving you a new cast to freshen it up!"

Last edited by xScar on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
it's really not that all surprising though
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Kind of disappointing, but this was expected to happen sooner or later. Not sure I like the choice of voice actress for Fujiko though.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
I saw that coming for some time after numberous discussions on how long will most of the Lupin actors perform their own characters. I too was surprised that Kobayashi is still casted as Jigen. Since he's been doing the voice of a single character of Lupin since the pilot film, I'm sure he does deserve to stay as longer as could.

I was glad they didn't consider recasting Kurita, cause he's still got plenty of life in him to do Lupin for atleast three more decades. The choices for Fujiko, Zenigata, & Goemon are interesting choices besides the fact they are younger than there predessors. Kouichi Yamadera is the only one who's done voice work in two Lupin TV specials and one OAV. You might know him best as Michael Suzuki the main antagnogist of Tokyo Crisis. I'll be curious to see if he can hold the torch as the new voice of Zennigata.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
My only gripe is the actress needed to be older, dammit. Fujiko needs to sound like a MILF, or they miss her whole character.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Apollo: It's not that they're letting him go. It's that he allegedly had throat cancer, and just couldn't continue anymore. They did him a favor.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
Agreeing that Zenigata being replaced is kinda surprising!

I love me some Miyuki Sawashiro though. Her job as Celty in Durarara makes me think she can pull Fujiko off well. <3

Apollo-kun wrote:
I suppose it was because Yasuo Yamada specifically requested the current voice to be his replacement in his will, and replacing him while he was still able to do the job would be kind of disrespectful.

I did not know this! Very neat to read about, thank you. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
xScar wrote:

The headline says "Supporting Voice Cast changed for 1st time in 16 years," However, this is not true. The supporting voice cast for Lupin hasn't had a permanent change since the Second TV Series started in 1977. There was an instance where all the voices were changed at once: for the OAV "Plot of the Fuma Clan"/"The Fuma Conspiracy," originally released in 1987. However, the "originals" (The Second Series cast, that is) were quickly reinstated for the first TV Special, which aired in 1989.

The only reason the "16 year" number is being thrown around in all the articles is because the original "Lupin" voice actor, Yasuo Yamada, passed away in 1995 and had to be replaced. He was not, however, a supporting cast member by any definition.

EDIT: Also really surprised how many people are shocked and disappointed by this change. Guys, if what I heard was true, Zenigata (Goro Naya) had throat cancer. He can't voice-act forever. Heck, it's amazing Jigen's voice has been kept. He still sounds good, but he's in his 70s! Lupin's 50-something, so I guess he's fine for now. He doesn't sound too rough, but it's probably only a matter of time before he and Jigen have to call it quits too. As for three more decades? The guy'll be 80-something. Not gonna happen (I hope!).

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't recast everyone so fans were a little more willing to transition into the new supporting cast before recasting the whole lineup.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

Naya and Masuyama definitely have definitely sounded oooold in the last few specials, but I wasn't expecting Inoue (Goemon) to be thrown out too.

He sounds as old as Zenigata, if not worse. I think they've purposely reduced Goemon's role in the specials for the last 10 years because of this. (He usually doesn't show up until 2/3 into the stories to save the gang.)

I suspect Makio Inoue also has some kind of throat problem; Leiji Matsumoto said that he recast the role of Harlock because of the change in Inoue's voice. Let's face it, many if not most Japanese men of their era were heavy smokers.

I'm somewhat of a purist, but I totally understand why this was done. At least they kept Lupin and Jigen. Those guys still sound as good as ever.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
I would have prefered Mami Koyama (Lunch, Vermouth, Fujiko in 1989...) for Fujiko Mine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3