• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto GN 52

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
"Sasuke declares his resolve to destroy the world around him. The entire ninja world realizes there is serious business going on and takes urgent steps to stop the chaos."

Actually, this is the first time I hear it. Sasuke only wanted to kill his brother and the world was always calm until Madara popped out.

Kind of a exaggerated review.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
"Sasuke declares his resolve to destroy the world around him. The entire ninja world realizes there is serious business going on and takes urgent steps to stop the chaos."

Actually, this is the first time I hear it. Sasuke only wanted to kill his brother and the world was always calm until Madara popped out.

Kind of a exaggerated review.

I agree..the review is very exaggerated..I enjoyed this part of Naruto's story and it simply gets better from here on.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Well, a this point, the potentiality is there, but none of this is particularly well written.

It's a good hard criticism - because Kishi's writing slips until the chapters that will take place in the next volume. The Dark Naruto thing was incredibly tacky. The climax between Sasuke and Naruto ended...(I did like Naruto's speech here, where earlier in the arc he wasn't hitting the right notes.)...but doesn't really have and resolution - especially with Sakura.

ESPECIALLY WITH SAKURA. In fact, this was the point where I started loathing her. I think I was the last hold-out Razz
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
Three other things:

"Naruto declares his intent to redeem Sasuke and become friends again."

That's actually repeated and questioned by several characters, spoiler[even the Nine-tailed fox], and Naruto's response is spoiler[apparently some kind of suicide and murder if he fails]

Yet even that engrossing bit of background is wrapped up in a stale old story arc where (surprise, surprise) Naruto goes off to some distant location to train
Actually, spoiler[he doesn't train until next volume where we have one of the most important ones in the series ], he already knows that it's pointless fighting himself.

"Dramatic as the confrontation may be, the outcome is anticlimactic. "

Yep, lets make Naruto fight a blinded, wounded and tired Sasuke. How long it would last? Even the characters point it out.
blackmokona

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
Well yes, when stripped down to the barest essentials of plot there are differences, but the characters and their relationships remain unchanged. They have a confrontation - again, they meet a new character - again, they have a serious discussion on a bigger scale than the last- again, and Naruto trains - again. The conclusion they reach is only rephrasing of the last on a bigger scale.

It's like every time Goku powers up he gets bigger hair, or every time a Pokemon evolves he gets bigger. In fact, that Kishi is trying to put those little twists shows exactly how desperate he is. It's different - in the same way. The side characters also suffer the fate that every side characters are wont to, not doing anything other than react to whatever the main characters do.

In short, they do everything they always do for the last 20 volumes. The world doesn't expand, they don't gain or lose anything of actual importance, and they don't grow up. I think that's what this review says, even though it was kinda harsh and exaggerated, but that's only emotional reaction speaking. Well, given how I always hear Naruto being panned, it's nice that a reviewer can still have an honest emotional reaction to the series.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't as good as the 2 volumes before it, and there was a little bit of cliche, but i still think it deserved much more than a C-. The character interactions I thought were great in this volume.
blackseer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know there were still Naruto fans out there. I guess the world is big enough.

If Carlo thinks that the series is reusing it's themes and conflicts now, he will love the next battles to come.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:
I didn't know there were still Naruto fans out there. I guess the world is big enough.

If Carlo thinks that the series is reusing it's themes and conflicts now, he will love the next battles to come.

It's been awhile since I've read the Naruto manga or watched the anime. I hear it gets so bad later on, yet there are so many that still praise it. (And it's so freaken long!) I guess there still are people who like it. I'm just as surprised as you are.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
blackseer wrote:

It's been awhile since I've read the Naruto manga or watched the anime. I hear it gets so bad later on, yet there are so many that still praise it. (And it's so freaken long!) I guess there still are people who like it. I'm just as surprised as you are.

Most people do like it given the sales numbers, it's just a very vocal minority who like to bash it. The more popular something is, the more haters it will attract. Like the last two posts.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The more popular something is, the more haters it will attract.

Yeah, for example, Hollywood movies. Laughing
blackmokona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
If you liked it and now you hate it, you're still a fan. You're just part of the fandom which has evolved to a Broken Base. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBase

BTW, Naruto may be repetative, but it fullfills expectations, and that can't be said for many other series. And yes, even if you didn't know about the sales, the fact that Naruto is still in print means that it still sells, so no one should be surprised that Naruto has devoted fans. Manga is different from movies like that: It's a series, and if no one buys this volume, there won't be a next one. You see, it also takes different approaches to bash the best-selling manga and the next blockbuster.
blackseer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
blackmokona wrote:
If you liked it and now you hate it, you're still a fan. You're just part of the fandom which has evolved to a Broken Base. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBase

BTW, Naruto may be repetative, but it fullfills expectations, and that can't be said for many other series. And yes, even if you didn't know about the sales, the fact that Naruto is still in print means that it still sells, so no one should be surprised that Naruto has devoted fans. Manga is different from movies like that: It's a series, and if no one buys this volume, there won't be a next one. You see, it also takes different approaches to bash the best-selling manga and the next blockbuster.

I can't say for everybody else, but what happened to me, and not only with Naruto, is that I continued to buy it even after I started hating it. It was like inertia; I just did it without thinking how bad it made me feel. And there was also a little hope that it might become better someday. Also, One Piece has a lot of fans in my country, but it was still cancelled.

And am I still part of a broken base even if I don't want to go back and reread the part I loved because it reminds me of everything that went wrong after? And if I loved a show as a whole when I was a kid and now hate it as whole? I don't think the latter is true.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
It wasn't as good as the 2 volumes before it, and there was a little bit of cliche, but i still think it deserved much more than a C-. The character interactions I thought were great in this volume.

Especially with Naruto and Killer Bee, since for some reason, 8 tails and 9 tails seriously do not like each other.

Sure it leaves something to be desired , but it definitely is better than a C- . It's a B at best.

Maybe the reviewer would have a better time with Vol 53 when spoiler[ his mother Kushina decides to show up during his fight with the 9 tails. Not to mentioned Madara's battle with Konan and the revalation that Nagato & Yahiko are part of the Uzumaki clan.]

That there would seriously have people do a 180.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:

really? it's the most popular anime in the USA and it still occasionally reaches the the weekly top ten of televised anime in japan. most the of the weekly top ten in japan is stuff gears towards little kids like detective conan, toriko, and one piece. not that naruto is a grown up anime, but it is a little more mature and serious in nature.

Last edited by maxxjulie on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
blackseer wrote:

really? it's the most popular anime in the USA and it still occasionally reaches the the weekly top ten of televised anime in japan. most the of the weekly top ten in japan is stuff gears towards little kids like detective conan, toriko, and one piece. not that naruto is a grown up anime, but it is a little more mature and serious in nature.

The problem is that their marketing the anime series as a kids show.

One proof is the bad bad decision of giving the license to disney xd,which means 4kids style edits.

Would have been better if they kept it on CN cause at least the edits would not have been as severe. but what's done is done , and as a result, people are flocking to the manga or watching the uncut eng dubs from illegal streaming sites.

though Viz is doing right with the manga, it's not the same with the anime. and they better fix it soon, otherwise they could become as equally despised like with the horror that is 4kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2