• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Age Rating

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:19 am Reply with quote
By default, only Encyclopedia Staff members can enter age ratings for anime and manga titles. However, you can help by either suggesting an age rating or reporting one that's incorrect. Simply submit an Error Report and, if possible, explain why the title should be given the specific rating.

Keep in mind that the age rating labels on the back of the video cover may not be 100% accurate. Many titles have been rated either lower or higher than their actual content.

Examples of Titles Rated Too Low
1. Cowboy Bebop (13-Up) - Many episodes contain too much violence and blood for its rating. One episode even has spoiler[a suggestive homosexual sex scene].
2. Grave of the Fireflies (3-Up) - This was never intended to be a children's anime film, as it contains many scenes of death.
3. Bubblegum Crisis (13+) - Way too low, especially with its bloody content and very strong language.
4. Gravion (13+) - Too much T&A should give it a least a 15+ rating instead of what ADV suggests.
5. Magic Knight Rayearth (Y+) - The violence level is beyond that age rating.

Examples of Titles Rated Too High
1. Sailor Moon (15+) - Yes, there are some suggestive themes to the series, but not enough for such a rating. Should be around 12+.

The best way to determine a title's proper rating is by viewing it yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I think that the age ratings in the Encyclopdia are somewhat suspect, since they're based purely on the presence of 'objectional content' - is Millennium Actress really for older children? That one's always bothered me.

And Grave of the Fireflies certainly seems like it could be for children, since it was originally double billed with Totoro and I remember reading somewhere (many months ago, don't have a link) that it was the one of those two movies that Japanese parents wanted their kids to see more, since it was historical and therefore 'educational'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I think that the age ratings in the Encyclopdia are somewhat suspect, since they're based purely on the presence of 'objectional content' - is Millennium Actress really for older children? That one's always bothered me.

Hmm. On the face of it, it's not that bad, in terms of "objectionable material" - but the storyline is waaay over the heads of anybody but a mature audience. Many of the dramatic moments would confuse children, at best.
jfrog wrote:
And Grave of the Fireflies certainly seems like it could be for children, since it was originally double billed with Totoro and I remember reading somewhere (many months ago, don't have a link) that it was the one of those two movies that Japanese parents wanted their kids to see more, since it was historical and therefore 'educational'

Fiddlesticks - I somehow doubt that this story is true, but even if it were, it would be a misjudgement (similar to Western parents who take their kids to see Fantasia because it's a Disney film and therefore must be "for kids"). In my opinion, Grave of the Fireflies is too much for most adults, let alone children. It fully merits a Mature rating. I can tell you that I have placed it among the films that my own three boys aren't allowed to watch, yet. Maybe when they're in their teens, I'll relent.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I read it on the Internet, so that story could very well be wrong.

And I guess I've never really had the strong emotional reaction to Grave of the Fireflies that everyone else seems to. It's one hell of a film, but for me it's more on the 'pretty sad' level of a Hoshi no Koe, not the 'my God this is the most depressing thing I've ever seen' level of an Irreversible. Maybe if I had children I'd understand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:

Examples of Titles Rated Too Low
1. Cowboy Bebop (13-Up) - Many episodes contain too much violence and blood for its rating. One episode even has spoiler[a suggestive homosexual sex scene].

Not to mention spoiler[Faye running into a guy with female Breasts.]

Quote:
3. Bubblegum Crisis (13+) - Way too low, especially with its bloody content and very strong language.

Not to mention spoiler[3 Instances of Nudity (Priss putting on her hardsuit in Episode 2, Nene taking a shower in Episode 8 (Scoop Chase), and Sylvie changing in Episode 5 (Moonlight Rambler), Mackie's obvious Pervertness (In Epsiode 2 where he catches Sylia undressign from Behind), and a Vampirism Sex Scence in Episode 5 (Moonlight Rambler).]
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Not to mention spoiler[3 Instances of Nudity (Priss putting on her hardsuit in Episode 2, Nene taking a shower in Episode 8 (Scoop Chase), and Sylvie changing in Episode 5 (Moonlight Rambler), Mackie's obvious Pervertness (In Epsiode 2 where he catches Sylia undressign from Behind), and a Vampirism Sex Scence in Episode 5 (Moonlight Rambler).]

Those scenes alone don't really merit a more mature rating. That's why I never mentioned them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Question: should the "Age Rating" be simply informational to let people know what the producers (NOT creators / screenwriters / directors), licensors, and/or third-party reviewers (e.g. MPAA) think who the 'suitable' audience is, or the more subjective opinion form us? Furthermore, Age Ratings varies in different countries -- thanks to lazy and ignorant third-party reviewers at GIO, we have had Mononoke Hime as 'G' in Taiwan.
So is NaruTaru manga. Shhhh.

abunai wrote:
jfrog wrote:

Fiddlesticks - I somehow doubt that this story is true, but even if it were, it would be a misjudgement (similar to Western parents who take their kids to see Fantasia because it's a Disney film and therefore must be "for kids").

Very likely to be the case. According to Nausicaa.net,

Nausicaa.net wrote:
Q: I heard that it was double-featured with "Totoro" in Japan. Is that true?

Yes. At that time, no one thought that people would want to see "a movie about a two little kids and a Monster in rural Japan", and "Totoro" was considered a big investment risk. Still, Miyazaki and the editors of "Animage" wanted to make this movie, which was Miyazaki's pet project for a long time. So they thought up the idea of risk-sharing. "Grave" was a well-known book, and because of its "educational" value, a certain level of audience could be expected. (Indeed, "Grave" was chosen by many school boards as a movie to show their students - and "Totoro" along with it, since it was in the package.)

Quoted from http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/grave/faq.html

Sadly, most people still think that Animated = Childish.

jfrog wrote:
And I guess I've never really had the strong emotional reaction to Grave of the Fireflies that everyone else seems to. It's one hell of a film, but for me it's more on the 'pretty sad' level of a Hoshi no Koe, not the 'my God this is the most depressing thing I've ever seen' level of an Irreversible.

Same here. Explained over and over. See also: abunai's post.

jfrog wrote:
Maybe if I had children I'd understand.

That's what in my mind as well. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Question: should the "Age Rating" be simply informational to let people know what the producers (NOT creators / screenwriters / directors), licensors, and/or third-party reviewers (e.g. MPAA) think who the 'suitable' audience is, or the more subjective opinion form us? Furthermore, Age Ratings varies in different countries -- thanks to lazy and ignorant third-party reviewers at GIO, we have had Mononoke Hime as 'G' in Taiwan.

Also, sometimes different sources have conflicts with each other. For example...Mind Game has sex, violence, and nudity...yet it got a General Audiences rating in Japan because it's such a joyful movie. What then? Do you go with the age rating the director was fully expecting to get, and what it would get strictly based on the content, or what the Japanese film rating board gave it? I'd go with the latter, personally.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
I am well aware that age ratings vary in different countries, but since Anime News Network is based in North America and majority of ANN's visitors are from North America, the age ratings should conform to the standards of the aforementioned continent. Besides, there are a lot of American parents out there who use the ANN Encyclopedia as a parental guide.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
It seems that ADV Films began using the TV ratings system just last month. The new ones I've seen in the stores seem to be right on the money (Gantz rated TV-MA(DSL), for example), but are there any of those to watch out for?

(Also, I just saw a copy of the "3-Up"-labeled Grave of the Fireflies in a local Circuit City over the weekend -- too easy for some poor parent to pick up and show to their children. Sad )
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
It seems that ADV Films began using the TV ratings system just last month. The new ones I've seen in the stores seem to be right on the money (Gantz rated TV-MA(DSL), for example), but are there any of those to watch out for?

As far as ADV using the TV ratings, they seem to be accurate at the moment:

Cromartie High School (TV-14)
Divergence Eve (TV-14)
E's Otherwise (TV-14)
Gantz (TV-MA)
Gravion Zwei (TV-MA)

Quote:
(Also, I just saw a copy of the "3-Up"-labeled Grave of the Fireflies in a local Circuit City over the weekend -- too easy for some poor parent to pick up and show to their children. Sad )

Apparently, that's not the only CPM title given a rather low age rating:

Harmagedon - Genma Taisen (3-Up)
Patlabor: The TV Series (3-Up)
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Time for a Judgment Call:

I haven't seen Princess Tutu, but I noticed that ADV posted a TV-14 rating on it. Is the rating spot-on with the show's content or too high?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:

I don't think the age ratings aren't really about intended audience, but rather, much like MPAA ratings, designed to warn you about who shouldn't be watching the series.

We'd have to ask Dan to be sure...

-t
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
Why do you want to ask me? I only *made* the damn thing. God only knows how it's supposed to work...

just kidding. Wink

The age rating is indeed intended as a "objectionable content" marker rather than "intended audience". We have:
All Ages (Nothing objectionable)
Older Children (May contain mild bad language, bloodless violence)
Teenagers (May contain bloody violence, bad language, nudity)
Mature (May contain sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence)
Adults only! (Contains explicit sexual content)

The way it worked originally was that reviewers would choose one of the 5 ratings based on which "worst" element was present in the anime. e.g. bad language (Teenager) wins over bloodless violence (Older children).

Of course, this has the problem that if the anime contains bloody violence but no nudity, the age rating still says "Teenagers (May contain bloody violence, bad language, nudity)", so eventually I'd like to implement something more like ESRB, with age rating + content descriptors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Time for a Judgment Call:

I haven't seen Princess Tutu, but I noticed that ADV posted a TV-14 rating on it. Is the rating spot-on with the show's content or too high?

Too high. 12 Maybe, at most. It's less than sailor moon by a good bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16