• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Merges with Namco

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Expect animes with characters from Tekken hitting Japanese airwaves withing a couple of years... I wouldn't mind seeing a "Soul Calibur" anime as well.
Dark Morford

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping for anime based on Namco's "Tales" RPG series.

EDIT: Looking down a list of Namco's games, I see a possibility of Pac-Man anime.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Expect animes with characters from Tekken hitting Japanese airwaves withing a couple of years... I wouldn't mind seeing a "Soul Calibur" anime as well.

there's already been a Tekken anime, and it sucked ass.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Damn I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Bandai pretty much always makes average games while Namco has made several great games. Hopefully Namco's talented teams when they merge with Bandai they will improve on Bandai's games.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Dark Morford wrote:

There's actually already two, a 13 episode series based off of Eternia (AKA Destiny 2) and a four episode OAV based on Phantasia.

Could be that we'll see more Tales anime though, now would be the perfect time for anime based on Symphonia or Legendia.

Though persoanlly, I'm looking more forward to better Bandai games.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Remember the Bandai Sega deal?

Never went though.

Maybe Bandai can force Namco to make all their games Multiplatform AS WELL THEY SHOULD BE.

and is Tekken Anime that doesn't suck too much to ask for?
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

Oh, I need to call my boyfriend and tell him this! He was staring at a wall of anime at Hastings the other day saying "Are you sure Tekken isn't an anime?"

Oh, there already was one? Hmmm... well, if they used some of the back stories that are in the Tekken moves books, then I can understand why it sucked so much.
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
hey, maybe there'll be better gundam games now!!
CrimsonPh33r

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Better Gundam games? Oh please. That would be a blasphemy. The earth would implode. Its a physical imposibility
red stranger

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Dark Morford wrote:

EDIT: Looking down a list of Namco's games, I see a possibility of Pac-Man anime.

There was a US animated Pac Man show in the 80's, but I don't think Pac Man is popular enough to warrent a TV show today. They would have to revive the game franchise first...
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
Maybe Bandai can force Namco to make all their games Multiplatform AS WELL THEY SHOULD BE.

Seeing as how very few Bandai games are multiplatform I doubt they would ask that of Namco..

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
No, Pac-Man! Run away from the Bandai ghost!

Seriously, what is Bandai going to do, just let Namco have some of its licenses so they can make good games that Bandai claims ownership of?

Quote:
Bandai is has a strong stable of character rights, but is weak in technology, while Namco is a video game technology leader but has few stong character brands.

Few strong character brands? Try Soul Calibur, Tekken, Xenosaga, the Tales of... series, and one of the most popular characters ever, Pac-Man! They don't need anything more!

(Hopefully this doesn't interfere with the Donkey Konga series on Gamecube, since Bandai seems to be avoiding Nintendo's console.)
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Seriously, what is Bandai going to do, just let Namco have some of its licenses so they can make good games that Bandai claims ownership of?

Quote:
Bandai is has a strong stable of character rights, but is weak in technology, while Namco is a video game technology leader but has few stong character brands.

Few strong character brands? Try Soul Calibur, Tekken, Xenosaga, the Tales of... series, and one of the most popular characters ever, Pac-Man! They don't need anything more!

(Hopefully this doesn't interfere with the Donkey Konga series on Gamecube, since Bandai seems to be avoiding Nintendo's console.)

And that's considerably fewer character brands than Bandai, Geneon and the like carry - they really only have a handful of titles to rely on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Just 3 words:
Katamari Damacy Anime
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Quote:

And that's considerably fewer character brands than Bandai, Geneon and the like carry - they really only have a handful of titles to rely on.

But I'm not saying that Bandai doesn't have more brands, especially in terms of anime. What I'm saying is that Namco doesn't need more brands, it's current brands are so strong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2