• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mindgame Premiere in NYC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This is FANTASTIC news! I'm thrilled that Mindgame will be getting some exposure in the states. I wish I could go to the premier; alas, I'm stuck in the midwest. Everyone in the NYC area, for goodness' sake, don't miss out on this! Mindgame is an absolutely phenomenal film! (This is the closest y'all are going to see to me going completely giddy; I love this movie beyond words!)

Oh, and I'm having trouble looking at the press release; it's in a staff-only area right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'm sad that the Howl topic is already on its second page and this news piece is only on its second post. Mindgame shows a lot more promise and creativity than the dying gasps of an old master who keeps wanting to retire from anime but they just can't take him off the credits list because he's the name that makes people keep coming to see those movies.

Not everyone's gonna go for this, and even now I still don't feel that I "get" the whole thing, but M.G. is definitely something special.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
Definitely one of the most interesting animes I've seen: let's hope this exposure will get the success it deserves and will encourage a DVD edition in the near future Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wao

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
I heard that for the bits where they used the actor's faces they're replacing it with the faces of the English voice-overs. Is this true?

And yes, I highly recommend this over Howl's Moving Castle myself. I think if this got more publicised it would do anime and everyone a favour. I'm sure it'd be quite popular, it's just that it's not publicised (and it has no big names) Crazy isn't a factor, FLCL could get really popular even if it was totally whack. Though of course this is quite... progressive? (I dare not say that, TBH) in terms of visuals. Lots of various mediums and all.

Still, the story at it's core is easy to understand. It's not that much of a mind game in terms of figuring things out, but more of a mind game in terms of the experience of watching it. (Though people expecting smooth visuals ala GiTS might be disappointed)

I hear the Japanese producer (Eiko Tanaka) herself is coming for this event. Ironically she used to be a producer for Ghibli.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I want to see this but I'm in no mood to get on a train to NYC. Can I assume that it's going to get some kind of limited release, or is it straight to DVD?
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Can I assume that it's going to get some kind of limited release, or is it straight to DVD?

I wasn't aware that this was licensed... I haven't heard anything at least, and I imagine that an acquisition such as that would be notable news item. I would be ready and willing to buy an R1 DVD in a second, however, even though I already own this. Studio 4°C is amazing and I will support them in any way I can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wao

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the R2s have subs.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:
Apparently the R2s have subs.

Yes, my copy does. Wink The interview segments with the creators in the extras don't have any, though, so you have to know Japanese to get the most out of those.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
If only I could get a ride. From the above comments, I'd like to check it out when it comes on DVD. whatever its about
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1