• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prefecture's Youth Council Discusses 'Harmful' Books & Homosexuality

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
streexanime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, I think I remember reading something similar to that here in America.... Heaven forbid a woman actually want to initiate sex or want to take the lead.... Or even worse that women like sex....

(major landslide ahead, mind you done in sarcasm) So do these people believe a woman's place is to resist sex and forced into it then? I guess the only correct form of sex in these council members mind is rape?

Overall this is complete bullshit. Very old idea that domineering, forceful women create a rise in homosexuality.

Last edited by streexanime on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Member: If there are more depictions where women lead, it will encourage homosexual tendencies

.....what. *tableflip* I completely fail to see how a woman being the more active/forward one in a relationship is going to lead to a rise in homosexuality, I'm pretty sure that's not how sexuality works (also, is there a problem with having more homosexual people come out?). Grrrrr, this is just so dumb. >.<
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
I don't even have the energy to discuss exactly what is wrong with this so I'm just going to say;

This is just plain stupid.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
What the genuine f***? Mad
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I completely fail to see how a woman being the more active/forward one in a relationship is going to lead to a rise in homosexuality, I'm pretty sure that's not how sexuality works

It seems the Japanese have this idea, that the guy has to be the active one and the woman just needs to lie there. Activity is simply equated with masculinity, which is dumb, but not entirely incorrect if we look at the animal kingdom. That debate however is facepalm-inducing.
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, if there are more depictions where women lead, it will encourage the tendency toward homosexuality and make it difficult psychologically to have a sexual intercourse normally.

Huh, I assumed male readers enjoy a more forceful woman in manga with het relationships Confused
It seemed more like a shoujo thing that the girls are always submissive to the love interest
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I completely fail to see how a woman being the more active/forward one in a relationship is going to lead to a rise in homosexuality, I'm pretty sure that's not how sexuality works

It seems the Japanese have this idea, that the guy has to be the active one and the woman just needs to lie there. Activity is simply equated with masculinity, which is dumb, but not entirely incorrect if we look at the animal kingdom. That debate however is facepalm-inducing.

This is exactly why Japan needs a feminist movement. Why didn't they ever have one? This paternalistic society bullshit needs to die in a fire!

And how the hell could they believe such a retarded slippery slope argument? Whoever claimed that women taking the lead would lead to being gay should go look up "logical fallacy" in the dictionary.

Also, why the hell did this "harmful books" bill ever get passed? Who are they to decide what others can and can't read? Those kinds of people should be shot!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
I think I'll hold off on condemning Japan for the activites of the "Youth Healthy Development Council," which I suspect is not fully representative of all viewpoints in Japan.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Really Japan, REALLY!? What about all the misogynistic anime & manga out there that treat women as objects that only exsist for the male viewers oogling pleasure? I mean seriously.... this argument...is assinine! If anything Strong well written females would encourage men, I mean maybe its just me, but I find strong well written female characters alot sexier then most of the genaric ecchi gals out there... But I digress.

Anywho, yeah this argument is pretty darn stupid. And I agree, Japan needs a feminist movement.

I vote for one Lead by Miyazaki!
Laughing
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
LOL @ this. I wouldn't get too upset. I doubt it will actually result in much, if anything.
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
here in my **** country they don't sell such stuff at all, which made the youth want it even more, Japanese should just teach their children how to be normal not pervert and everything will be fine.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
Japanese should just teach their children how to be normal not pervert and everything will be fine.

They do. Because pressure to conform always helps Rolling Eyes
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
This "youth council" sounds like some of the insanity you find in Ultra Conservative America--Oh, so it's strong, active women who are to blame for homosexuality! Duh, how could I not see the writing on the wall?! A woman's place is in the kitchen or on her back, thanks for clearing that up. Oh, and that massive earthquake we just had was because god was angry at all you godless heathens for empowering women (/sarcasm)

This hurts my brain on so many levels, that people can be this willfully ignorant is... It's just painful.

I'd love to hear the Council's thoughts about all the sexual violence and rape-y goodness in manga--that can't be bad for youth, after all, it's violence directed at girls and women by strong boys or men. Yup, rape is A-OK, but strong independent women will doom us all.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Several prefectures regularly force publishers to relabel their non-adult books as 18+ and correspondingly force bookstores to restrict them based on content.

Another reason why government involvement is just plain BAD in general. It doesn't matter if it's for good intentions or even if there are benefits.

Clyde_Cash wrote:
This is exactly why Japan needs a feminist movement. Why didn't they ever have one? This paternalistic society bullshit needs to die in a fire!

They already do, although it's different from the west's. The popularity of the women's mags and the female characterizations the council members complain about here, and the homosexuality etc, and the fact that host clubs outnumber hostess clubs is evidence of that.

Personally I would not want a "feminist" movement. Or kind of movement other than a freedom movement. The same feminist movement here loves the same types of regulations and mandates.

Quote:
Also, why the hell did this "harmful books" bill ever get passed? Who are they to decide what others can and can't read? Those kinds of people should be shot!

Obviously people who think they're doing you (or teh yutes) a favor. Basically a statist.

CareyGrant wrote:
I'd love to hear the Council's thoughts about all the sexual violence and rape-y goodness in manga--that can't be bad for youth, after all, it's violence directed at girls and women by strong boys or men. Yup, rape is A-OK, but strong independent women will doom us all.

Like I mentioned above, those are also targeted and make the list of "harmful publications" in various prefectures. Probably more so than women's mags. And even more so now in Tokyo with Bill 156 (already has)

The solution is to not target any at all and let individuals decide for themselves.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
"But, the reason I can't get a girlfriend is because some random guy makes a comic book I don't read!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6