• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Neo Toyko

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Younger and teetotal-ling readers are invited to picture the taste of store-brand generic macaroni and cheese.

Lol, thank you, now your analogy makes sense. Anime hyper And I really envy the shelf space this week's person has, I'd love to have enough room to really show off my fancier boxes like that.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I've still yet to see anybody sufficiently defend the last 1/3 of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It wouldn't be a big exaggeration to say that it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, and the fact that the movie gets universal praise in spite of this nonsensical last minute plot twist is baffling to me to say the least. The average Key plot twist made more sense than that; and Key series' are at least upfront about what they are in the first place, so the transition to emotional nonsense is a lot less jarring.
Macron One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The second problem is digital paint. The original was cel-based animation, and I think hand painted cels give a real, gritty feeling to Akira-era anime. 2040 wants to give an '80s feel, but just looks too new to do so.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 is a cel-animated series, actually.
In fact, i have a cel from it somewhere that i got as a freebie when i purchased a Pretty Sammy OP cel a while back.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I liked BGC: Tokyo 2040 just fine. Maybe it's different if you haven't seen the first OVAs. I also checked out that "Konya Wa Hurricane" song. So '80s! Smile

Nice shelves, Stephen. You have a nice BD collection there. How do you watch them though? Do you have a Japanese/NAmerican region BD player, or do you use your computer?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Younger and teetotal-ling readers are invited to picture the taste of store-brand generic macaroni and cheese.

But I LIKE store brand generic mac and cheese Sad I don't like watered down whiskey sours though, so the first analogy sits better with me.

I was, and still am, pretty big on Nami's arc. Prior to that, I was really on the fence about her. She was kind of a jerk. But, after that arc, all was forgiven, and she gets a pass from now on. Yeah, I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

So, a question for anyone that double dipped. Is it worth double dipping on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time if I already have the limited edition of the DVD? Am I missing out on anything other than a little better picture quality? Or is the difference so great that it would be worth picking up the BD?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I have the Japanese laserdisc's of Bubblegum Crisis. Really liked the OVA's. Always heard bad things about Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040.

A recent review here said I should like 2040 better than the OVA's because of the story. But if you watched the original OVA's and loved them, then it sounds like you won't like 2040.

Also sounds like that those that watched the TV series first, won't like the OVA's because of the 80's look and sound.

Yes, there will be those who like both, more power to them. But I really don't like seeing my favorite characters getting mangled.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Quote:

But I LIKE store brand generic mac and cheese Sad I don't like watered down whiskey sours though, so the first analogy sits better with me.

I was, and still am, pretty big on Nami's arc. Prior to that, I was really on the fence about her. She was kind of a jerk. But, after that arc, all was forgiven, and she gets a pass from now on. Yeah, I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

So, a question for anyone that double dipped. Is it worth double dipping on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time if I already have the limited edition of the DVD? Am I missing out on anything other than a little better picture quality? Or is the difference so great that it would be worth picking up the BD?

I re bought it on BR and while it is better I don't truly think it is worth re-buying at full price.
Karisu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little confused on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time BD release...

Did it just get a re-release or something, because I bought it last April.

Just odd to see something from a year ago get reviewed now...
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I watched BGC Tokyo 2040 well before I knew that much about the original [I might have had an old VHS tape with two random episodes at the time] and even then I wasn't really that big on it. It's an okay series, but it just never gets all the way up to "good."
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Awesome collection!
I see some stuff that's worth a good amount of money to buy now.

Shakugan no Shana
Nanoha
Fate/Stay Night
Zero no Tsukaima
Kara no Kyoukai

I'm jealous on some of your collection.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
I'm a little confused on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time BD release...

Did it just get a re-release or something, because I bought it last April.

Just odd to see something from a year ago get reviewed now...
Well, reading the review:
Quote:
I'm little late to the party on this next review, but I got the blu-ray for Christmas and needed something short to round out the two 26 episode sets above.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Quote:
The second problem is digital paint. The original was cel-based animation, and I think hand painted cels give a real, gritty feeling to Akira-era anime. 2040 wants to give an '80s feel, but just looks too new to do so.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 is a cel-animated series, actually.
In fact, i have a cel from it somewhere that i got as a freebie when i purchased a Pretty Sammy OP cel a while back.

Maybe it was cell animated but digitally painted? It didn't look like cell painting to me.

Monster in a box wrote:
I've still yet to see anybody sufficiently defend the last 1/3 of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It wouldn't be a big exaggeration to say that it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, and the fact that the movie gets universal praise in spite of this nonsensical last minute plot twist is baffling to me to say the least.

I thought the last third of the film was a big tone shift, but especially re-watching it, it made more sense to me. The very end, the romantic conclusion, I now recognize as a common Japanese cliche. It's the one where spoiler[it's super-romantic to wait for for someone for an indefinite amount of time]. Tons of shows have an ending like that, including everything from the Drops of God dama seres spoiler["I'll wait for you while you study in France"] to Alison and Lillia part 1 spoiler["I'll wait for you while you work as a spy on the other side.]. I don't think that ending is romantic at all, and I've said so in a lot of other columns and the forum comments after. In the Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I think it's a little better set up than in other series because the girl's aunt is revealed to spoiler[already be waiting for her time travel lover]. I think when it comes to time travel, that sort of ending is a lot more appropriate than in other shows without time travel.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
I've still yet to see anybody sufficiently defend the last 1/3 of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It wouldn't be a big exaggeration to say that it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, and the fact that the movie gets universal praise in spite of this nonsensical last minute plot twist is baffling to me to say the least.

Whenever Makoto time leaps, she alters the mental and physical states of everyone else around her, so the so-called "twist" logically follows from that. spoiler[Chiaki time leaps to when Makoto never used that last time leap because she never had that conversation with Chiaki (and, IIRC, this is also why Chiaki is able to travel back to his time after he and Makoto have their last conversation). If you still have hang-ups with it, well, that's how you feel. Can't do anything about that. For myself, I feel getting caught up in the logistics of time travel in fiction can be besides the point for films like these.]

Sailor S wrote:

I think the difference is noticeable enough for me, although it does depend on your set-up and what a person is looking for (as the resolution the film was animated at was not at 1080p). The difference became more apparent when I watched the extras, and the interview with Hosoda explaining his techniques shows footage from the movie from a SD-source.

If you're not one for upgrades, then I'd recommend waiting until you can get it heavily discounted.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I did say in my own review of BGC 2040 that fans of the franchise were split big-time over whether the TV series or the OVAs were better. Seems that Erin represents the other side of the fence.

Oh, and Erin: those who cross over between Doctor Who and anime fandom aren't as uncommon as you might think. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, and Erin: those who cross over between Doctor Who and anime fandom aren't as uncommon as you might think. Wink

They certainly aren't rare any more, but it was a different story in 1999 before the new series came out, and in America, and for fans about the same age as me. Since Doctor Who aired at kind of random PBS stations in the U.S., and for the most part wasn't airing anymore in the late 1990's, a lot of the other fans of the show I met at the time were a lot older than me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3