• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chibi Maruko-chan's 1,000th Episode to Air in February

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Is this ever gonna end?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Like everything else It'll end in due time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this series has a great deal of episodes. Similar to Doraemon. 1000 episodes is no small feat, as seen with the author, having spent a quarter of his/her life with this series.

I've never heard of this series, but based on the ANN article, this series has been ongoing since 1995.

Makes me wonder, similar to Poke'mon how would this series end?
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I love watching that series. KXLA 44 channel aired Chibi Maruko-chan every Friday at 8am, but for some reason they took it off the air and I have no idea why. Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Maruko's voice creeps me out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wow, this series has a great deal of episodes. Similar to Doraemon. 1000 episodes is no small feat, as seen with the author, having spent a quarter of his/her life with this series.

I've never heard of this series, but based on the ANN article, this series has been ongoing since 1995.

Makes me wonder, similar to Poke'mon how would this series end?

That's not really comparable given Pocket Monsters already ended 3 series so far. Each series ends with a region. Wouldn't be that hard to end that show for good if they ever wanted since they're all stand-alone for the most part.

Maruko-chan, Shin-chan, and Doraemon would probably be harder given there's no real central storyline. Nothing you can really do aside from a huge sendoff with the cast and perhaps a look into the future on what they grow up to be (Shin-chan movie 18 already dealt with Shin and his friend and family's future, though)
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What would it take to kill Sazae-san? Who watches it, specifically? What demographics are its viewership weighted toward?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
What would it take to kill Sazae-san? Who watches it, specifically? What demographics are its viewership weighted toward?

Everyone.. it's the most watched anime in Japan. Kids, teenagers, adults, grandparents.

Though the manga ended already.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder how they last. Some different level of tolerance I guess.

As they say. The Simpsons is only at 500 episodes (the longest-running- measuring time, not episode- American primetime, scripted television series) and even I, who counts it as my favorite show ever, finally had to give up on it this year. It can still make a good joke, but it's just the same old jokes.
...although it's true that it still gets strong enough ratings, other people don't have trouble keeping up.

So how the heck can Japan stand to continue watching shows that rarely break at all over an entire year and feature characters that are as unchanging or even more static than The Simpsons?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So how the heck can Japan stand to continue watching shows that rarely break at all over an entire year and feature characters that are as unchanging or even more static than The Simpsons?

Different tolerance levels or maybe the show has remained good for this long or maybe age/duration has little to do with why others watch a TV show.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

It depends on the series. Shin-chan does change, for example. Even in the Funi dub they had the episodes where they moved into apartments for awhile, and the Japanese version is full of stuff like that. Like the year Shin's mom was pregnant and she eventually had her child as part of a huge event. The Simpsons is a lot more static and 'fillery'. Also, keep in mind the Simpsons is a lot more pop-culture-y than these shows, so it dates itself very easily and might be a factor why you grew out of it.

Though I don't see how it's exactly taxing to watch a 20 minute program each week myself. Especially a comedy series you can easily watch while eating dinner on TV.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
It will be the 1000th episode only if you count both the 1990 series (which ended in 1992) and the 1995 series (ongoing). When only counting the second one, Chibi Maruko-chan is around 850 episodes long.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
It isn't really an if at the moment. The producers are counting both series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1