• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty fair review of the series. I did not care for it when I watched it the first time, but the second time around I loved it.

I agree with just about everything this review says. I also found the dub to be much funnier than the Japanese and probably one of Funimation's better comedy dubs. One of the things that I enjoyed in the show (the same with the manga and I mention in this in the most recent ANNCast thread) that there is importance of using protection during sex. At least Yamada spoiler[wants to use condoms instead of just bare backing].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yep, good review - very much jibes with my memory of the show and makes me look forward to checking out the dub when my set arrives.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Being a guy, I got it because I can't resist sex comedies. Love 'em. I went into it expecting your standard guy's sex comedy and then call it a day, but by around episode 8 or so, it really struck me that this was a sex comedy that could be enjoyed equally, if not MORE, by women!

The amount of sensitivity it devotes to Yamada's insecurity and conflicting desires make it almost like a raunchy version of a shoujo manga, although Kosuda of course is far from the ideal shoujo male object of desire. Also, all the lasses are very well-endowed (with the exception of the Lara Woodhull character of course. She's a newbie Funi is very high on, and with good reason. What a super-cute voice.) The boobs are the male appeal factor.

It's too bad that it seemed to end just when their relationship started to hit high gear. I enjoyed Kosuda and Yamada's antics greatly in the final two episodes. It's sort of endearing watching these two people thinking up various kinky scenarios to get each other off, and then of course having their plans go awry in ridiculous and hilarious ways.

Last edited by bravetailor on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
H IS FOR HUMPING!

I'm curious as to why you have "dub takes liberties" as a negative even though you make it pretty clear (at least to me) that you prefer the show dubbed. I just don't see why something you liked (the rewrites, I assume) would be considered a negative, especially when you have the dub graded higher and mention the dub as being a positive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The reception of this series has surprised me. It got one Hell of a lashing in the preview guide, but more recently, in the thread for the ANNCast about sexism of all places, I've seen considerable fondness for it. I could do without the overt laddish appeal of how breasts are sometimes portrayed, but if they don't override or stand in for more interesting or engaging things, then no foul.

I did like some of what I saw in the first two episodes on Hulu and after reading this, which ably serves the purpose of reviews, I begin to think that I might just damn my uncertainty buy this series.

I would speak well of the English dub even if I were holding my nose about the content, which I'm not. Cherami Leigh and Britney Karbowski did play a solidly contrasting pair.

The King of Harts wrote:
I'm curious as to why you have "dub takes liberties" as a negative even though you make it pretty clear (at least to me) that you prefer the show dubbed. I just don't see why something you liked (the rewrites, I assume) would be considered a negative, especially when you have the dub graded higher and mention the dub as being a positive.

I noted the possible contradiction too, but I think it might have been listed as something that those who value fidelity to the original more highly might regard as a bad thing or just to note that quality, in this case, had to be gained at some cost to accuracy.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
H IS FOR HUMPING!

I was curious about this as well. The dub takes a lot of liberties but the second commentary pretty states the English version is more or less an adaption for English audiences than a regular translation. Not that is a bad thing. Just because some liberties are taken with a translation does not always make it a bad thing.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to put this on my must-miss list. Do I want to see this? Nooooooo!!!!! This one isn't for me. I think I'm going to pass on "Yamada's First Time" just for my own sake.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

I was curious about this as well. The dub takes a lot of liberties but the second commentary pretty states the English version is more or less an adaption for English audiences than a regular translation. Not that is a bad thing. Just because some liberties are taken with a translation does not always make it a bad thing.

It's easy to appreciate the dub adaptation as a well-written example of dub scripting, but you never want to get carried away and think you're better than your material. B Gata walks the line very precariously but doesn't quite fall over. For the most part, many of the expressions (Like Kosuda exclaiming "WINNING!" in a Yamada dream sequence) do put forth the same general idea as the original Japanese dialogue.

The only parts where they most seriously flubbed, IMO, is when the animation doesn't quite match the dialogue. In the last vignette in the last episode, for instance, dub Kosuda is freaking out over Yamada in a bathrobe, but casually asks how Yamada got into his house. In the Japanese version, Kosuda is more freaked out about how Yamada got into his house rather than her appearing half naked in the bathroom. This makes more sense because he's already seen her naked twice already, so he shouldn't freak out as much by now seeing her in a bathrobe.

Last edited by bravetailor on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This review is pretty much spot on how I feel about the show! I really enjoyed it and lol-ed quite often.

The only complaint I have about this release is the second commentary with the writers ... They seemed to try to "protest too much" regarding the content of the series. I think they said something along the lines of "thank goodness we weren't responsible for coming up with this raunchy stuff ... Ewww!". And they kept talking about (or at least implying) how gross and inappropriate it is, like they didn't like it. Obviously they "got it" enough to write the English script, so I didn't understand this. Also, it's kind of insulting to fans who have obviously bought your product to keep talking about how gross and dumb it is...

Otherwise, I loved everything about funi's release!
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

The only complaint I have about this release is the second commentary with the writers ... They seemed to try to "protest too much" regarding the content of the series. I think they said something along the lines of "thank goodness we weren't responsible for coming up with this rain by stuff ... Ewww!". And they kept talking about (or at least implying) how gross and inappropriate it is, like they didn't like it. Obviously they "got it" enough to write the English script, so I didn't understand this. Also, it's kind of insulting to fans who have obviously bought your product to keep talking about how gross and dumb it is...

They were actually being grossed out by the incestual desire thing mostly.

I like how in the first commentary Karbowski shows absolutely no hesitation about expressing her love for all the perverted aspects of the show, though. The gal's a trooper!
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been intrigued by this now given all the talk about it in the Sexism thread. Perhaps eventually.

Snomaster1 wrote:
I think I'm going to put this on my must-miss list. Do I want to see this? Nooooooo!!!!! This one isn't for me. I think I'm going to pass on "Yamada's First Time" just for my own sake.

A train! A train!
Could you, would you
on a train?

Not on a train! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! Let me be!
I would not, could not, in a box.
I could not, would not, with a fox.
I will not watch it with a mouse
I will not watch it in a house.
I will not watch it here or there.
I will not watch it anywhere.
I do not like Yam-- HOT DAMN.
I do not like it, Sno-I-am.

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

The only complaint I have about this release is the second commentary with the writers ... They seemed to try to "protest too much" regarding the content of the series. I think they said something along the lines of "thank goodness we weren't responsible for coming up with this rain by stuff ... Ewww!". And they kept talking about (or at least implying) how gross and inappropriate it is, like they didn't like it. Obviously they "got it" enough to write the English script, so I didn't understand this. Also, it's kind of insulting to fans who have obviously bought your product to keep talking about how gross and dumb it is...

They were actually being grossed out by the incestual desire thing mostly.

I like how in the first commentary Karbowski shows absolutely no hesitation about expressing her love for all the perverted aspects of the show, though. The gal's a trooper!

Definitely! I guess I was just confused as to why they were so grossed out when everything like that is actually done for laughs and hilarious. It isn't like kisxsis or whatever where it's supposed to be sexy.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Neat. I must admit that although the English ast and crew commentaries on anime are not, and perhaps cannot be, very substantive, I've often found them relatively entertaining and relaxing, even if I wouldn't want to put up with the more than once or twice, far apart.

willag wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

A train! A train!
Could you, would you
on a train?

Not in a car! Let me be!

By the power vested in me by the fact that I own a suit and am good at pretending to speak authoritatively, I bestow upon you one internet in recognition for you contributions to making me laugh.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I noted the possible contradiction too, but I think it might have been listed as something that those who value fidelity to the original more highly might regard as a bad thing or just to note that quality, in this case, had to be gained at some cost to accuracy.

But if those who value fidelity read the review then they'd see in the second sentence of the paragraph where it talks about the dub that Rebecca says:
Quote:
The dub script is considerably funnier to an English speaking audience and scriptwriters Jamie Marchi and Leah Clark have done a bit of rewriting to make the text cruder and more appealing to an American audience.

I don't want to put words in Rebecca's mouth or sound like a dub-dick, because that's definitely not my intention, but it comes off as she's afraid to say she thinks the dub bested the Japanese, which is usually an unpopular opinion. Reading that part of the review over a few times, it sounds like she really wants to say that, but makes sure to walk around it, mostly by constantly saying "For an English/American audience". If she thinks the rewrites in the dub makes the show funnier i.e. better since this is a comedy, then that's her opinion and she should own it. Making that little note in the negatives makes it seem like she's covering her tracks so the fans of the Japanese or sub purists in general don't start talking about how rewriting anything is bad and that it shouldn't be encouraged with positive feedback and then we get a mini flamewar.

Again, though, I don't want to put words in Rebecca's mouth; this is simply my [over]interpretation. It's just that as a huge dub fan and one that doesn't mind rewrites (sometimes even encourages them), I'm a little annoyed at how she says she likes the rewrites and the dub in general, but notes that the rewrites are a negative.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I've actually been intrigued by this now given all the talk about it in the Sexism thread. Perhaps eventually.

Snomaster1 wrote:

A train! A train!
Could you, would you
on a train?

Not in a car! Let me be!

You Win the GAME
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5