• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Puella Magi Madoka Magica Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Just for the record: Madoka's on Crackle as well.

I was on there this morning to watch some Kenshin when I saw the first episode, so I'm assuming Crackle'll be doing the same thing as Crunchyroll.

Which is AWESOME, because Crunchyroll isn't on Xbox.

R.O.D. TV's been added on there, too.
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also a show that was a ton of fun to watch on a weekly basis because of all the speculah and discussion. CR won't be able to recreate that same atmosphere a year after the fact (except maybe for those few people who have managed to avoid knowledge of the show), but I definitely applaud the choice to space the episodes out like this.

Of course, if you want the authentic PMMM episode-per-week experience, you have to hold off watching the last two episodes for about 2 months.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
Of course, if you want the authentic PMMM episode-per-week experience, you have to hold off watching the last two episodes for about 2 months.
Heh, I wouldn't go so far as to suggest anyone do that.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
...Aniplex could plausibly reason that demand was sufficiently intense to insure that a high-priced release would nevertheless still sell well in R1.

I believe PMMM was released for streaming because pre-orders made quota.

Without it, this thread wouldn't exist.
Mirri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
errinundra wrote:
Just a warning to Oz and UK enthusiasts: Crunchyroll is streaming it in North America only.

I expect Madman will most likely offer it, or at least some of it, on their website closer to the AU release date for the first DVD/BD (which is in April I believe). Still, makes no diff to me, I pre-ordered all the R1 LE's the moment they become available, gotta have that soundtrack.

The 3 week wait for oversea's shipping is soooo loooong. Rightstuf better have packed it well.

My copy came wrapped in a single piece of cardboard. Like their Media Mail single manga volume packaging.

I know people who got theirs in a real box.

Rightstuf!! ::fistshake::
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
And so North America and Japan remain the only places where you can legally watch this show... I hope someone decides to pick it up over here, although I don't really see that happening.

I wouldn't give up hope ~ if Madman is successful with it in Oz, then MangaUK would be faced with a series with an English dub already done and PAL video already mastered.

And I don't know if Madman has the BD licenses as well, but if they are pressing a region B BD, MangaUK could just go for the BD rights and just act as distributor.

Ryu Shoji wrote:
May I ask why? Couldn't they have done this, I don't know, when the series was airing?
No, they couldn't, because the original rights owner did not give them the streaming license. Now Aniplex, who has the R1 rights across the board, has decided to stream it at Crunchyroll to support their next release. That's the reason for this:
errinundra wrote:
Just a warning to Oz and UK enthusiasts: Crunchyroll is streaming it in North America only.
... because the R1 distributor only has North American rights, Crunchyroll can only sublicense it for North America. They are not yet at the numbers of subscribing members outside of North America to cover the contracting costs of licensing additional countries direct from the original rights holder, and MadMan wouldn't sublicense to Crunchyroll, because if they decided to stream in support of their Australian release, they'll be using Screening Room, per Ringking's comment.

scineram wrote:
So Crunchyroll gave in and made a contract after all.
We know they bid for it when it was broadcast, because they bid for everything. So they weren't offered the contract. Now the R1 distributor has apparently decided that streaming on Crunchyroll is good advertising ~ and maybe also a little extra cash ~ so they've offered a contract. The timing is all decided by whomever holds the streaming rights that Crunchyroll is licensing or sublicensing.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
...Aniplex could plausibly reason that demand was sufficiently intense to insure that a high-priced release would nevertheless still sell well in R1.
I believe PMMM was released for streaming because pre-orders made quota. ...

It's Aniplex's call, so they can make it for whatever reason, sensible or insane, that they want to. Since the timing would be identical either way, the only way to test the proposition is to (a) ask an AniplexUSA rep and (b)) get a straight answer.

yuna49 wrote:
I've never believed industry claims that they don't pay attention to viewing figures for fansubbed releases. Given the reaction to Madoka in the fansub community, Aniplex could plausibly reason that demand was sufficiently intense to insure that a high-priced release would nevertheless still sell well in R1.
... but looking at bootleg distribution numbers would be a lot less direct than looking at fan reaction directly and looking at result of marketing surveys. For one thing, there's no demographics available from the bootleg distribution numbers, so plugging them into a distribution market model would be almost entirely guesswork with nothing to base the guesses on. For another, there's no direct indication of "I would buy" from the bootleg distribution numbers. A marketing survey would provide demographics as well expressed willingness to buy, and after all is designed to plug into your distribution market model. Even better reaction to drop in cards in your current releases, because they all come from fans who are clearly in the market. When you get a lot of "please license X" from people who shelled out $130+ for a three "doubles" release like DRRRR, you know that they are not saying "I will buy, but only if its $20".

Whether fan interest is excited by bootleg distribution and whether the companies directly look at bootleg distribution numbers are two quite different questions. There's no real reason to doubt them if they say they don't look at the bootleg distribution numbers when deciding on their release strategy.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
It's Aniplex's call, so they can make it for whatever reason, sensible or insane, that they want to.

[Be respectful please]
. Perhaps you've forgotten who you're posting against. I'm not stupid enough to take anything you say as a matter of fact.

Better yet: why don't you practice what you preach rather than pretend you know everything, teacher.

Right.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Gien how my mental state is not in the besy condition, I was plannig on not watching this series after all (I feared that it might drive me to kill myself), but I think I will after all. I have this fanfic idea I'd like to write one day.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Even back when the market was mostly singles I can't remember having to pay this much for a series.

Well I do remember paying this much. I can do the maths, can you do the maths? Volume One + Artbox of any series was usually NZ$40, then Volumes Two, Three and Four were NZ$30 each. That's NZ$130 for a one-cour series. Back then the exchange rate was roughly seventy cents to the dollar, which means it would have cost about US$91. And low and behold, the DVD releases with the automatic RightStuf discount are US$30 each. There's still shipping on top of that, but then I also had to pay for petrol and parking when I got my DVDs from a brick and mortar store, so it probably would work out cheaper and more convenient for you.

Man, talk about the feelings of entitlement from fans these days. This is the best Anime series in years, and people are refusing to pay such reasonable prices. It's ridiculous.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
[Well I do remember paying this much. I can do the maths, can you do the maths? Volume One + Artbox of any series was usually NZ$40, then Volumes Two, Three and Four were NZ$30 each. That's NZ$130 for a one-cour series. Back then the exchange rate was roughly seventy cents to the dollar, which means it would have cost about US$91. And low and behold, the DVD releases with the automatic RightStuf discount are US$30 each. There's still shipping on top of that, but then I also had to pay for petrol and parking when I got my DVDs from a brick and mortar store, so it probably would work out cheaper and more convenient for you.

Man, talk about the feelings of entitlement from fans these days. This is the best Anime series in years, and people are refusing to pay such reasonable prices. It's ridiculous.

No you are absolutely incorrect. Because guess what unlike Madoka Magica I had choices of where I wanted to buy my anime DVDs. Maybe you bought your anime DVDs in brick and mortar stores but I could buy from Amazon, Deep Discount DVD, DVD Pacific, etc and usually the price was marked down signifigantly. I can't remember ever paying more than $20 for a single (maybe $24).

Not to mention on most of those DVDs I would often get more than 4 episodes. And if there was an art box (which there wasn't in this case) then at the most I would spend $30 for just the first DVD (not all of them).

And maybe to you Madoka Magica is the best series in years, it's certainly not to me. It wasn't even the best of last year.

And these prices are completely irresonable. I am not saying I am "refusing to buy" (because I probably will eventually buy it) but I am going to state my displeasure at Aniplex USA's pricing. I buy anime all the time. I just bought House of Five Leaves which is the same number of episodes of Madoka with a beautiful box and an artbook for half the cost, the only thing it's missing is a dub. And yes I think it is just as good as Madoka, maybe better.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The prices are not that bad. It's not Fate/Zero bad, for god's sake. Ig it doesn't make my parents faint, it's not overpriced in my eyes.

(Granted, I never told them that this was 3 seperate discs that each cost 40 bucks, either).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
No I saw the series, a good show but not worth the money Aniplex USA is over charging for it and not giving you choices of where to buy it.

There are choices on where to buy it. TRSI is the official retailer, but Anime Nation, and RACS are also selling it (at MSRP, or above like RACS is doing with the v1 LE). No, it's not on Amazon and other heavy-discount sites. Maybe they want too much off the MSRP to carry it?

I found it to be worth the money, though. I imported the Japanese Blu-rays, and have at least double-dipped with the first US LE release. Other new series that I enjoyed enough to import last year were Hourou Musuko, Hanasaku Iroha, Tiger&Bunny, Usagi Drop, and then a few boxed sets for older series (Baccano!, Clannad:After Story, Planetes, the four Patlabor OVA/TV boxes, and a few movies and OVAs)...

Quote:
Even back when the market was mostly singles I can't remember having to pay this much for a series.

Yeah, $30 for four episodes was the usual MSRP back in the days of DVD singles, so these DVDs are about a third more expensive (getting up toward 60-70% more after factoring retailer discounting).

Quote:
Edit: I might still eventually get it. Will at least wait till I can buy enough to get free shipping at TRSI.

You live outside the US, then? What is their minimum for free international shipping?

Quote:
But I'm not happy about the pricing at all.

You're not alone, but I'm sufficiently content since they're significantly cheaper what I paid to Amazon Japan for the series..

Quote:
Will probably re-watch the series on CR to decide how much I really want it at that cost.

That's probably your best option. ^_^
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah, $30 for four episodes was the usual MSRP back in the days of DVD singles, so these DVDs are about a third more expensive (getting up toward 60-70% more after factoring retailer discounting).

Yeah, but this is a DVD and a Blu-Ray. So I think paying 10 extra bucks is fine because we get two discs.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but this is a DVD and a Blu-Ray. So I think paying 10 extra bucks is fine because we get two discs.

That is only with the Limited Edition

As for Madoka's MSRP being the same as older single MSRP's, that I agree might be true. But in the past you weren't forced to buy at the MSRP which we are for Madoka.

And I am certainly not telling anyone if the price should be worth it for them because that is a personal matter. If Madoka was an absolute favorite for me then I might not care about the price either. I was arguing against the idea that Madoka is somehow legitimately worth more than other anime series, & that I disagree with.

Edit: And no I don't live outside the US, but shipping at TRSI is $3 unless you spend a certain amount, so if I buy each DVD individually that's an extra 9 dollars. It might only be a small amount but every bit counts.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That is only with the Limited Edition

No.

Go to TRSI. They have the normal edition Blu-Ray/DVD for 40 bucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10