• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Ranks as #2 February Graphic Novel in U.S. Bookstores

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marek1712

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad that some classic titles still have some power to draw people. Let's hope more of the classic will be available again or (maybe) for the first time in English Smile
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
It's cool to see that Naruto has been the best selling English manga for 5 straight years.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Sailor Moon doing so well in the US. It's good to see that, almost 15 years after it went off the air in Japan, that there are still so many fans of this series.

Maybe that bodes well for finally getting someone like Ikuko Ito to show up at a US convention. Ah, well...one can hope.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if ICv2 may have made a typo on their site for the Bleach volume. They are listing Volume 28 as being in this list, which is a volume that was released back in 2009. While it's theoretically possible that on older volume could have spiked in sales, I did some research and discovered that Volume 38 was released in February 2012.

Which begs the question: did Bleach Volume 28 really have a resurgence in sales, or did ICv2 publish a typo?

Just to reassure ANN's news department: You did not make an error, you're just reporting what ICv2 has published on their site.

I'm going to send an email to ICv2 to see what I can find out, because inquiring minds want to know. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's absolutely thrilling that Sailor Moon's performing seriously well in the manga department, particularly on the year in which it would be the show's 20th anniversary since it aired in Japan in 1992. Smile Now to hope for an English re-airing of the anime in the United States...
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I got an response back from ICv2, and it turns out it should be Bleach Volume 38 on the list, not Bleach Volume 28.

I made sure to forward a copy of the email to ANN's newsroom, so hopefully we'll see a correction to this article. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Not a huge surprise that Negima is still on the list...as it is finishing up in Japan.

Sailor moon is also not a surprise, since fans have been demanding it for years. Now, for a re-release of the anime...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
WIN. SM is doing so well.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Not a huge surprise that Negima is still on the list...as it is finishing up in Japan.

Sailor moon is also not a surprise, since fans have been demanding it for years. Now, for a re-release of the anime...

It's been re-licensed pretty much everywhere but America. Which means it's either the US companies don't want it (unlikely, since I think Funi expressed interest) or Toei has something against the US and won't give it up. The only reasons I can think of is either the way the dub was handled in the past not being satisfactory for them (also unlikely, since Toei is the kind of company that doesn't care as long as money is to be made) or, more than likely, because of the very restricting polices America has when it comes to cartoons starring females/aimed at females. It's almost impossible to get them on TV, especially for foreign products networks do not own and get full share of profits for. Toei might not sell a license if it can't get a daytime TV slot like Italy, Hong Kong, and other countries gave it.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Sad no One Piece on the list but glad to see Sailor Moon. I'm happy to see something so old still selling so well. Now Funi get to work on getting the anime lol.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mune wrote:

It's been re-licensed pretty much everywhere but America. Which means it's either the US companies don't want it (unlikely, since I think Funi expressed interest) or Toei has something against the US and won't give it up. The only reasons I can think of is either the way the dub was handled in the past not being satisfactory for them (also unlikely, since Toei is the kind of company that doesn't care as long as money is to be made) or, more than likely, because of the very restricting polices America has when it comes to cartoons starring females/aimed at females. It's almost impossible to get them on TV, especially for foreign products networks do not own and get full share of profits for. Toei might not sell a license if it can't get a daytime TV slot like Italy, Hong Kong, and other countries gave it.

If that was the case then both Mexico & Brazil wouldn't have the license because the anime has not aired on TV over there yet they're still getting DVDs.

Speaking of Mexico, there was a recent podcast related to those sets and the rep explained that everything had to be approved by Naoko Takeuchi as she is apprently very picky now about how she wants the anime treated.

Podcast link (in Spanish):

http://www.anmtvla.com/2012/02/podcast-plan-b-004-la-caja-parlante-de.html

Forum links (with translated details):

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17318&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18262&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30 (The details were translated by Vilhem on pages 2 & 4 so if you can ignore the nonsense that went on in this thread then be my guest and look for yourself.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
As popular as classic Sailor Moon is, seems Avatar the Last Airbender retains much of its popularity too.

TitanXL wrote:
Mune wrote:

It's been re-licensed pretty much everywhere but America. Which means it's either the US companies don't want it (unlikely, since I think Funi expressed interest) or Toei has something against the US and won't give it up. The only reasons I can think of is either the way the dub was handled in the past not being satisfactory for them (also unlikely, since Toei is the kind of company that doesn't care as long as money is to be made)

Or that Toei's own North American branch Cloverway dubbed the last two NA seasons, so they did it themselves. Laughing

TitanXL wrote:

or, more than likely, because of the very restricting polices America has when it comes to cartoons starring females/aimed at females. It's almost impossible to get them on TV, especially for foreign products networks do not own and get full share of profits for.

Ratings and profits. If networks can't get a cut of the merchandise profits, then they at least want to receive good ratings for their trouble. Unfortunately, the only networks nowadays that would probably touch old animation are premiere-tiered channels like Boomerang or nascent channels that don't care yet as much about ratings like The Hub. Toei may think those channels to be too small a fish, or that there may not be enough of a merchandise profit to be made that they're not pushing as hard for it.

NJ_ wrote:

Speaking of Mexico, there was a recent podcast related to those sets and the rep explained that everything had to be approved by Naoko Takeuchi as she is apprently very picky now about how she wants the anime treated.

Oh, so now she cares, is that it! (When in the past, she's happy to drive off her Ferrari.) She may find that her anime doesn't afford as much leverage as it used to though. Laughing
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
It's cool to see that Naruto has been the best selling English manga for 5 straight years.

It deserves it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1