• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ame & Yuki Film Teaser by Summer Wars' Hosoda Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
I AM EXCITE.
IkariGendo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
Kinda late? It was posted by the official twitter account a month ago. :/
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Sounds dangerously furry, count me in! Laughing
Sarukah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
That looks awful, oof. I really liked The Girl who Leapt Through Time, didn't care much for Summer Wars, and I'll just be passing completely on this one.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Haha, reminds us of The Amazing World of Gumball mixing animation with live-action backgrounds. Laughing
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
That looks awful, oof. I really liked The Girl who Leapt Through Time, didn't care much for Summer Wars, and I'll just be passing completely on this one.

I liked Summer Wars a bit better than The Girl who Leapt... but I have to say Hosoda is probably my least favourite anime film director right now. This teaser doesn't exactly set my blood pumping either but I have to think one of these days I'll really like something of his. I was a late convert to Oshii as well, so anything's possible.

I'm happy that many people seem to like Hosoda though. It will help grow the medium. But generally his sensibility and style isn't to my tastes right now.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Have to say, the concept for this movie is pretty awful. It sounds like a teenage girl's fantasy more than a good story. I mean, 19, marrying a (presumably) handsome "wolf-man", and having kids? Didn't know Hosoda was a dumb, Twilight-obsessed mom.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Gamescook wrote:
Have to say, the concept for this movie is pretty awful. It sounds like a teenage girl's fantasy more than a good story. I mean, 19, marrying a (presumably) handsome "wolf-man", and having kids? Didn't know Hosoda was a dumb, Twilight-obsessed mom.

Because of it involves were wolves now, it's obviously a ripoff of Twilight. Rolling Eyes

Also, we can no longer make stuff involving were wolves, because clearly, Twilight just set the bar of quality too high...

Last edited by Shenl742 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hosoda is in my opinion the best director of those "heartwarming family film" anime that have been so popular lately, and I'll basically watch anything with Yoshiyuki Sadamoto characters. This movie looks like it'll be cute as a button and I'm looking forward to seeing it...

...but are those really live-action backgrounds!? Hosoda, no! Did "We're Back: A Dinosaur Story" not teach us anything? D:
shukero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
This looks pretty amazing, however the CGI looks like it's Japanese grade; which is to say it doesn't look that great.

Otherwise I'm excited to see what the director from Summer wars has next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Gamescook wrote:

Because of it involves were wolves now, it's obviously a ripoff of Twilight. Rolling Eyes

Also, we can no longer make stuff involving were wolves, because clearly, Twilight just set the bar of quality too high...

Nah, but when Harry Potter-mania exploded, anime developed more magicians in the midst. Laughing
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
As much as I really enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and to quite a bit lesser degree, Summer Wars, based on the storyline and character designs I've seen of this film, I'm not really into Ame & Yuki. It just doesn't seem to have much to it that appeals to me.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm certainly looking forward to this feature. Too bad the it may not get an early screening here. One can hope though. The NYAFF is coming up so I'm hoping the Japan Society can pull some strings but I doubt it. I know that this feature may not appeal to many but give it a chance. Sure TGWLTT was good but it was taken from an actual source to which he did a good enough job directing his interpretation. I enjoyed Summer Wars but I think that feature may have had quite a bit of issues due to it's complexity. But again whoever said doing a original project is going to win with everyone. Visually it's a great piece. It's been awhile since we started seeing films (aimed at various audiences) like these being made? Thing is films are being made but we're not seeing them. We only get a few. It seemed like Katsuhiro Otomo was pushing stuff but what happened to the rest of his 'Steamboy' project? Satoshi Kon was the new shining star and he was putting out a film practically ever 1 or 2 years. So we got Hosoda, and so far we got 3 films. I'm just glad to be seeing these films being made and maybe having a chance to come over based on name recognition. Good or bad. But quite a bit of family oriented films. But we need some cerebral stuff too.

As for all this talk on werewolf influence and stuff, well I think folks need to research a little more into Japanese culture. The werewolf concept that Hosoda is using has nothing to do with todays or yesterdays movie influences. Many are forgetting that every culture has their own mythos about shapeshifting creatures. Japan has their lores as well as Europe, the US, etc... Fox, cats, and wolf beings marrying humans is found in much of Japanese folklore. The thing is that this story has to figure out how it's going to present it in a present day setting. The only werewolf story that had closer influences from today's changed werewolf folklore is Ookami by 7th Expansion. Oh and let's not forget every darn fanboy show that comes out where the protagonist is hanging out with some sort of animal spirit. The influences are all over the place but still very much Japan's take on it. Sure maybe HP influenced some of the magician shows that came about in the last few years but as far as werewolf stories...heh, they're not that popular. Haven't been for the past few decades. Only vampire movies good and bad. Sorry Taylor Lautner can't even make studios consider werewolf movies.

I'm a big fan of werewolf movies and in a way this movie if right up my alley as I had a concept similar to this aeons ago. So definitely looking forward to it however and when it's released.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1