• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bloody Sunday

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Wow I have say Erin hit the nail on both Fairy Tail's and Another's flaws. Another has a really weak start, while Fairy Tail just feels to be all over the place.

I still think it is terrible to keep praising Naruto when the whole series is just delaying the inevitable end like Bleach.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Interesting stuff there...love the School Rumble collection, FMA, Soul Eater manga, and some of the other stuff.

Also, lol'd @ the meme for Another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, I didn't know that You watched Naruto! Good for you! Naruto is awesome!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Another ended up being one the best unintentional comedy anime ever. Some deaths and events just make you bust a gut laughing at their ridiculousness, far better than anything Final Destination has ever put out. Blood-C was the same way; both anime share the same director, I hope he goes on to make more grotesque comedy in the future.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched either Another or Blood-C, but considering they're both from the director of Dokuro-chan, Punie-chan, Legend of Koizumi, and Azazel-san, it doesn't surprise me in the least that they're 'grotesque comedy'.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, I have that Soul Eater wall scroll in the pic.
youjik33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I love Fairy Tail and think that its weird inconsistencies are actually part of why I love it so much. Naruto, on the other hand, is just boring.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loved season 1 of Sengoku Basara, so I'm thrilled to hear season 2 is more of the same concentrated awesomeness.

Must. Own. Like. Yesterday.

In regards to Another: While I agree the first several episodes dragged like molasses down a hill, by episode 3 I felt proverbially knocked off my chair. From then on it's been a terrifying roller-coaster, even if it still gets irritatingly mysterious at times. If nothing else, I love the character designs and have a newfound adoration for P.A. Works's amazing animation quality.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
While Fairy Tail does have inconsistency but they are never done in a way that I felt ruined the story.

Also how are the Guilds having to follow regulations a bad thing? I mean would you want to live in a world where the dominant power was a bunch of magic guilds fighting each other?

I do agree with the fact that Natsu rarely "earns" his power, and the power levels are not exactly that great but I found it entertaining enough to buy.

It's a great review though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I agree that I like fairy tails humor better than anything else about it.

For me its like a plain piece of candy, you may or may not enjoy it for the momment, but it barely leaves an impression on you afterwards.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Added a couple of your panels to my schedule Erin. I don't believe I've ever been to one, despite having been to Anime Boston for many years, so I'm interested to see how they are. My schedule is packed this year as always. Gonna be a struggle to work meals in there!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
I still think it is terrible to keep praising Naruto when the whole series is just delaying the inevitable end like Bleach.

You "still" think so? Did you mention it when I reviewed part two? Or do you mean it's not OK to continue to praise good parts of Naruto, even though it was good at one time? I'm kind of a Simpsons super-fan, but only for seasons 3-6. I love Naruto, but only episodes 30-100. Subsequent episodes of either series lower the average rating of the show. Back in 2000 I found that pretty upsetting, because I loved the Simpsons so much. 12 years later, I'm kind of numb to it.

youjik33 wrote:
I love Fairy Tail and think that its weird inconsistencies are actually part of why I love it so much. Naruto, on the other hand, is just boring.

Yes, parts of Naruto are very boring.

Why do you think Fairy Tail is "inconsistant"? I think it's fairly consistant. Give a detail or two. I really want to know, since I don't see the appeal of Fairy Tail.

Megiddo wrote:
Haven't watched either Another or Blood-C, but considering they're both from the director of Dokuro-chan, Punie-chan, Legend of Koizumi, and Azazel-san, it doesn't surprise me in the least that they're 'grotesque comedy'.

Another isn't comedic at all, though...?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Like I said, I haven't watched it, so I only commented on walw6pK4Alo's comments about it.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Personally I found the review of Fairy Tail abit harsh, its not meant to be as emo as Naruto or drag out like Naruto or DBZ do, like One Piece or Gintama its just made to be a fun. Its made to give you a happy energetic feeling. IMO Fairy Tail is ALOT better then Naruto, but thats just my own personal opinion. so yeah to each their own.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Another isn't comedic at all, though...?

It was at times comedic when considering the various deaths. I kept wondering just what silly way the writer was going to use to let the curse kill someone with each episode. Far too often I was laughing hard when someone died, rather than being scared, uncertain, or concerned for the surviving characters.

Maybe if the show hadn't painfully dragged out the spoiler[pretend-they're-dead] element of the story, I might have kept a greater "involvement" in Another, rather than just watched without concern.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3