• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Anime's New Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely excited about this for summer, can't bloody wait tbh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkonezero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Not that this is a bad thing, but Satelight has really been getting around lately.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:
Not that this is a bad thing, but Satelight has really been getting around lately.

They have Macrossbux, which grants a ton of freedom in getting stuff animated.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
That was a really boring trailer about a franchise I care about. I am concerned.

The epic music...was not epic? And all we saw was some mechs dancing around and failing to look pretty-topped off with a crappy pose fade off from 2 characters that don't speak the entire time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
That was a really boring trailer about a franchise I care about. I am concerned.

The epic music...was not epic? And all we saw was some mechs dancing around and failing to look pretty-topped off with a crappy pose fade off from 2 characters that don't speak the entire time.

We're also still 3 months out, and you don't get the real trailers until a few weeks before airing. At this point, they'd still be animating and voicing the first few episodes.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
... crappy pose fade off from 2 characters that don't speak the entire time.

Yeah - but they had big boobs, so that's all people need to know (sigh).
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:

The one thing I thought about at the end of the trailer: Wow, I guess anime suits really need protruding breast compartments for boobs that big…

In all seriousness, the series looks pretty good all around, and despite the caveat of it being attached to an eroge--and perhaps an over-focus on fanservice, which has gotten a little too heavy lately--I'm still looking forward to checking it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gbatemper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
tcdelaney wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:

The one thing I thought about at the end of the trailer: Wow, I guess anime suits really need protruding breast compartments for boobs that big…

In all seriousness, the series looks pretty good all around, and despite the caveat of it being attached to an eroge--and perhaps an over-focus on fanservice, which has gotten a little too heavy lately--I'm still looking forward to checking it out.

Although Muv-Luv Total Eclipse is only a light novel side story to the actual VN and can totally be ignored, the Muv-Luv trilogy isn't just a eroge.

The simple fact that JAM PROJECT did the opening for Muv-Luv Alternative should show how much different it was. Muv-Luv Extra may, have been a simple a peaceful harem eroge. Unlimited was a bit more serious, but still had the characteristics of a eroge.

Muv-Luv Alternative is the consistently top rated VN (Along with Masterpieces such as Clannad, Fate/Stay night, Ever17) which was the sequel which made playing the 2 previous typical eroge games all the time worth it. Alternative is non escapist/realism sci fi VN. It is considered to be Age's greatest work, and one of the unusual cases where the sequel is so much better then the previous games. (Note, you have to play Extra and Unlimited or else Alternative will not work for you)

The simple reason why Muv-Luv Trilogy was not animated was because the difficulties of finding sponsors. Muv-Luv has a immensely huge genre shift, that is both sudden and devastating. Many sponsors do not like this, as it can cause many problems with the spectators (who may assume Muv-Luv is a typical romance, but then may be uninterested to the sci fi non-escapist genre shift).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

Only the original releases were adult (and Supplement [which is terrible], Altered Fable and I think the first two Chronicles games), the rereleases were all ages and from the look of chronicles 03, they look to be going into an all ages route.

The series is ALL ABOUT DESPAIR! If you've seen Victory Gundam, think Victory + Ideon + Episode 19 of RahXephon tier despair.

TE itself is all ages. It's just the character designs. Be grateful they aren't using the original Unlimited/ Alternative armor designs. Those things were see through. I'm not kidding. AT ALL.

Can't wait for this. Hopefully someone (NOT VIZ!) picks it up for streaming. Say, CR. I'm bracing for age's policy on English though.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Based on the premise and the promo video, I'm interested. Liked what I saw of the mecha and character designs.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
Based on the premise and the promo video, I'm interested. Liked what I saw of the mecha and character designs.

Same. I'll be checking this out too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, like Alaska would even allow impotent U.N. forces on its soil! Laughing
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Only the original releases were adult (and Supplement [which is terrible], Altered Fable and I think the first two Chronicles games), the rereleases were all ages and from the look of chronicles 03, they look to be going into an all ages route.

The series is ALL ABOUT DESPAIR! If you've seen Victory Gundam, think Victory + Ideon + Episode 19 of RahXephon tier despair.

TE itself is all ages. It's just the character designs. Be grateful they aren't using the original Unlimited/ Alternative armor designs. Those things were see through. I'm not kidding. AT ALL.

Can't wait for this. Hopefully someone (NOT VIZ!) picks it up for streaming. Say, CR. I'm bracing for age's policy on English though.

Ah, I see. When I first read information about it awhile back, it said that it was a spin-off of sorts from an eroge, so I thought Muv-Luv might have been borrowing elements from its fanservice-y/adult side. Most mainstream eroge adaptations tend to pull from the all-ages version than the adult one, but it seemed like the studios were leaning more towards the saucier side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1