• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
tocahan wrote:
Favorite Anime:... Dominion Tank Police (you will pry my VHS copies from my cold dead fingers)

I might just take you up on that, hopeably I can get there before rigor sets it. I haven't seen Dominion Tank Police since the high holy days of Saturday Anime on The Sci-Fi Channel and I've really been wanting to see it. (Actually, I'm holding out hope that DiscoTek will license it)

tocahan wrote:
Favorite Manga (Light novels):...I do have all of Shirow Masamune's work...

I have most of his works, but I haven't gotten to Ghost in the Shell yet and I don't imagine that I'll bother with the artbooks.

So... did Orion make you dizzy too?

tocahan wrote:
Movies: The Big Sleep

Marry me! Wait... there are several problems of varying severity with that idea.

tocahan wrote:
Favorite Drink: a nice Armagnac.

Neat. Here I thought that I'd be the only person to ever use that word here. I've only had one bottle that nursed for several months, but I really liked it. I got it because I had a recipe that called for cognac, but I had just heard of the stuff and had to be a rebel. I polished it off a few weeks ago to make a pretty good Beef Burgundy.

Do you have a favorite? I've only had Marie-Duffau Bas Armagnac - Napoléon, chiefly because it's all that the local Wine & Spirits store had.

tocahan wrote:
Fun facts about tocahan:
I am usually wearing pants while posting. Usually.

Hey, we have that in common too.

Well, if I'm honest, at least two fifths of the time I'm actually wearing a robe. Although If you go by the British understanding of pants...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
@Surrender Artist

When you buy Ghost in the Shell, I recommend you look for the Dark Horse 2nd edition of October 2004. It is smaller than the first edition or the Kodansha edition but it has the color pages omitted from both of the other editions. Don't forget to also pick up Ghost In the Shell 1.5 and 2.0. Both are very different from the original but are interesting.

I think I understood Orion, not all of it, but enough to follow the story.

If you are going to rob someone for Dominion Tank Police, at least look for the DVD. Very Happy
tocahan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist-
I've been hoping for a DVD re-release of Tank Police as well. The VHS are from the early '90s and the last time I watched them things were a bit shakey.

I agree with Alan45- do buy Ghost in the Shell (all three) and if possible, get the Dark Horse versions from the mid-2000s. As to Orion, I liked the art, but as for understanding the text....

Armagnac is, for some reason, one the spirits that the state of Iowa still keeps control of. Which means that being able to find in a store, let alone a particular brand is a real crap shoot. The bottle I currently have is a Larressinlge VSOP. It's a mixture of Bas-Armagnac & Tenareze grapes. It came in this nice metal box and is quite tasty. I prefer it to Cognac, since it's single distilled I think it's fruitier and smoother tasting. (That doesn't sound at all wine snobby, does it?)
Chang Wufei

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Name: Not telling

Blood Type: AB

Sex: Male

Nationality/Ethnicity: Nationality: Japanese/Canadian. Ethnicity: Mostly Yamato, but I might have some Ryukyu in me. Born in Osaka, but moved around Japan and Canada, when I was young and shit

Marital Status: With a cute, sweet girl, from Japan.

Profession: Random shit

Religion: None

Drink/Smoke: Drinks(yes) smoke(no)

Dislikes:

Favorite 'anime': G Gundam, Gundam 00, Gundam Wing, Code Geass

Favorite 'manga': None

Favorite game: Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 2

Favorite book/authors: None

Favorite food: East Asian cuisune, mainly Cantoneese, but I also love KFC, Japanese food and other types of foof.

Favorite drink: Fanta, Wine, Luxury Beer

Family: 1 brother, 2 sisters and both parents

Favorite sport: None

Favorite Music: Anything that's good

Favorite Quote: 'Only I have the brains to control the Lylat System!'

Fun (and true) facts: Despite being born in Japan, I don't know much Japanese. I'm better at English. I can speak a tiny bit though, recognize all hiragana and katakana and a few kanji. I know a lot about the language structure though. Hehe!

Last edited by Chang Wufei on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Conflagration

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
I'm new to the forum so I figured this was a logical place to start.

Name: Eric

Sex: Male

Blood Type: B negative… I think. Don’t quote me on that.

Location: Philadelphia, PA. Though I may be relocating to CT (not really by choice).

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: ½ Italian, ½ German. But ethnicity means next to nothing to me personally, we’re all human.

Religion: Agnostic/Atheist

Pets: I don't have any, though many people in my family have dogs. Rescued pit bulls especially.

Drink/Smoke: A bit too much in the past/only once in a blue moon while drunk (just being honest)

Likes: Listening to music, making music, bikes, adventure, trying new things, travel, food, honest people.

Dislikes: Cars, lima beans, people who prattle on about "the real world."

Favorite anime: BECK, Trigun, Desert Punk, Baccano!, Code Geass, Berserk, Death Note, GTO, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop.

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Haven't read any yet but I'm interested in reading Air Gear for some reason. Oh, and after watching the anime: Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou.

Favorite Books: Brave New World, Chrestomanci, Dark Lord Of Derkholm, The Hobbit, The Second Bill Of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution and Why We Need It More Than Ever, Ritalin Nation, Post Democracy. I like all sorts of books.

Favorite games: Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, Chrono Trigger, Zelda: Orcarina of Time, War Craft 3.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: High Fidelity, Good Will Hunting, Starship Troopers, The Usual Suspects, Zombieland, Anchorman, Snatch/How I Met Your Mother, Californication, The Boondocks. To name a few.

Favorite Drink: Yuengling Lager

Non-Alcoholic Drink: water, green tea, coffee.

Favorite Foods: Burritos, all kinds of Indian food, fruits and veggies, fish and chicken occasionally. And while it's not a food, I love habanero hot sauce.

Favorite Sites: Youtube, Cracked, Amazon, various RSS feeds from sci-am, discover, think progress, etc.

Favorite Sport (to watch): Football of the American variety

Favorite Sport (to play): Cycling, ultimate frisbee

Favorite Music: I mostly listen to 90s Alt Rock, Electronic Dance Music and Bebop/Hard Bop Jazz. Though I can usually find enjoyment in almost any genre/sub-genre of music.

My favorite Japanese bands are Beat Crusaders and Radwimps.

Job: I guess I'm technically still a student (perpetually it would seem)

Hobbies: Making music with Ableton Live, cycling, surfing the net.

Fun facts:
I've been to China, Costa Rica and London, yet I've never been to Canada. I should probably get on that.

I like falafel but I don't like hummus (It's one of about three foods I really don't like).

I'm really bad at spelling, but I find words interesting in general. In fact, my user name is simply a word that I really like.

I like all things audio related. It's probably the closest thing I have to a passion. For the last four years or so I've been working in recording studios and doing audio post production for short films.

Favorite Quotes:
"In life, there is only probability, but we can always make our own luck."

"Isn't bass just a boring guitar?"
-some girl I met at Temple one time
larinon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Conflagration wrote:
Making music with Ableton Live

What kind of style do you work in? Do you have any tunes to share with us? Will you show me yours if I show you mine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PoïsonCyëder

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Name: Angelica

Sex: Female

Marital Status:Single

Ethnicity:Latina

Pets: 0 Sad

Likes:I'm a big tech person, even if I can't afford most of it xD, reading, travelling, purple, sour candy, Wawa cappuccinos, linguistics and lilies!

Dislikes: Super spicy food (kinda weird since I'm latina xD), very hot weather,

Favorite anime: Marmalade Boy, Pokémon, Solty Rei, Aquarion (I hope Aquarion EVOL gets licensed by FUNimaton!), Zatch Bell!, Suzuka, Claymore, Escaflowne, Jubei Chan, Nana, Romeo x Juliet,

Favorite Manga:Black Butler ♥ ♥ Smile, Fruits Basket, Bleach, One Piece, Othello, Escaflowne,

Favorite Books: Immortals Series and Soul Seekers by Alyson Noël, Hunger Games Trilogy, Inheritance Cycle, Mortal Instruments Trilogy, Uglies Series, Inkheart trilogy,

Favorite Drink: Dr Pepper. 'Nuff said. xD

Favorite Foods: McDonald's fries, ice cream, fajitas, steak, and cake

Favorite Sites: Facebook, FUNimation, Youtube, and ANN

Favorite Sport:Football. My favorite team is the Philadelphia Eagles. I tolerate no trash talk of my team, so beware Wink

Favorite Music:I have soo many favorites it's not even funny, but some are Enrique Iglesias, Green Day, Don Omar, Jessie J, Barlow Girl, Train, The Fray, Maroon 5, Of Montreal, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Eminem, Juanes, Maná, Adele, Drake, Coldplay, David Guetta, Bruno Mars, and Gotye....to start xD

Hobbies: Music, reading, chasing my six-year-old twin brothers xD, starting to write a novel of some sort,

Fun facts about me I guess xD: I know three languages to an extent (English, Spanish, and French)
I have tried a lot of foods that yes are quite weird including snail, frog, and kangaroo
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Name: Ahahah...my username is fine

Likes: Dostoevsky, Doris Lessing, John Keats, Japanese food, Britpop and Britrock, among other things.

Dislikes: Sexism

Favorite anime: FLCL, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Galaxy Angel, Spirited Away, Tokyo Godfathers

Favorite Manga: Tactics, Kurogane, D.N.Angel

Favorite Books: Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky), The Gambler (Dostoevsky), The Sweetest Thing (Doris Lessing)

Favorite Drink: Milk

Favorite Foods: Japanese food especially takoyaki and raw salmon.

Favorite Sites: Livejournal, Youtube

Favorite Music: My favourite band is the Manic Street Preachers. I also rather like Lady Gaga.

Hobbies: Writing.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

Shouldn't 29 be even worse? I thought it would be good to be in my twenties, but this just feels like a countdown to 30.

Today I met a woman whom I could swear was younger than me. Turns out she was 31.

Welcome, btw.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Shouldn't 29 be even worse? I thought it would be good to be in my twenties, but this just feels like a countdown to 30.

Today I met a woman whom I could swear was younger than me. Turns out she was 31.

Welcome, btw.

Thank you! My birthday is in December actually, so technically not 30 yet, but I might as well pull the trigger and all.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
So... you seem to dislike getting older, but you're pretending to be older than you really are Wink? Interesting. Not that 30 is old, it's still quite young. Welcome on the forum.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, am I actually filling one of these out? Huh.

Name: Laughing

Blood Type: A positive

Religion: Agnostic, was raised a Methodist

Pets: One cat, an all black cat. She's my baby!

Drink/Smoke: Nope/nope

Likes: Philanthropy events (participating and organizing), stuff

Dislikes: Other stuff

Favorite Anime: Princess Tutu, Millennium Actress, Whisper of the Heart, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, The Twelve Kingdoms, Rose of Versailles, Dennou Coil, Moribito, Noein, Cross Game, Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Blood+, Bokurano

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Chrono Crusade, Please Save My Earth, Basara, Emma: A Victorian Romance, Twin Spica, Monster

Favorite Books: Most stories by Tamora Pierce but my favorites are from the Emelan universe (Circle of Magic, The Circle Opens), Garth Nix's Abhorsen universe, The Hunger Games, Wuthering Heights, To Kill a Mockingbird, Sing You Home

Favorite Game: Dance Dance Revolution and other dancing games, Wii Tennis, Bubble Bobble, Minesweeper

Favorite TV Shows: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Lost, Fringe, Once Upon a Time, Dancing with the Stars, Grimm

Favorite Movies: Contact, Field of Dreams, Gattaca, The Hunger Games, Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Fantasia, Finding Nemo, WALL-E, The Incredibles, Batman, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Pay It Forward, It's a Wonderful Life, Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Favorite Drink: Cherry Coke

Favorite Foods: Sushi, other Japanese cuisine, Thai, Greek (especially gyros), Mediterranean, Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, chilli

Favorite Sites: ANN, fanfiction.net, Anime Nation, Live Journal, Cracked, MAL, Anime Planet, DeviantArt, TVTropes, your mother's FB account

Favorite Sport (to watch): Hockey, pretty much anything during the Winter/Summer Olympics (though gymnastics, swimming, and curling probably round out the top 3), dancing, ice skating, and I'm starting to warm up to baseball

Favorite Sport (to play): Tennis, volleyball, swimming, softball

Favorite Music: Symphonic Metal/Rock, Rock/Pop ('60s - '00s), Jazz, most everything except Rap and Country (although I'm fine with Country Rock)... I come across a lot of my favorite music now through AMVs

Job: Development Engineer for a tissue-engineering medical device company

Hobbies: Screwing around on the internet, organizing, making lists, trying to determine all of the anime characters from the AX '96 poster, hanging around with friends, Sudoku puzzles, jigsaw puzzles

Fun facts:
Arrow Has visited all 50 U.S. states
Arrow Has lived in 5 U.S. states
Arrow Once memorized up to 100 digits of pi, currently only knows 60+
Arrow Plays Minesweeper without flagging the mines
Arrow Has been to a cadaver lab and held a human brain in her bare hands (the owner of the lab was digging around in the cadavers without gloves on, so I took my gloves off to handle the brain just so I could specifically say that I've held a human brain in my bare hands - it was really awesome and one of my highlights in college)
Arrow Has played with pig's heads
Arrow Has been in the OR for her job and watched anal fistula and breast reconstruction cases
Arrow Thinks tissue engineering is one of the most fascinating fields of study
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
That is a shockingly boring intro willag. I expected more from you. I am disappoint.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Whaddaya mean? For 90 per cent of ANN male posters she had us at:

Quote:
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Reaching back a little..

Chang Wufei wrote:
Fun (and true) facts: Despite being born in Japan, I don't know much Japanese. I'm better at English. I can speak a tiny bit though, recognize all hiragana and katakana and a few kanji. I know a lot about the language structure though. Hehe!

This is actually fairly common for people who were exposed to a language when they were very young, but had little or no exposure to it after that. Their vocabulary will be simple and limited, but their grammatical judgements will usually be good.

Now then, for something completely different.

Man, this is so predictable of me...

willag wrote:
Favorite Manga (Light novels): Chrono Crusade, Please Save My Earth, Basara, Emma: A Victorian Romance, Twin Spica, Monster

Remarkably, except for Chrono Crusade, I very much wish to read, but have not yet read any of those. Have you read A Bride's Story?

willag wrote:
Favorite Music: ... Jazz...

Well, I guess that I have to ask... Do you have a favorite era or style? (I seem to love the hard bop and modal jazz of the fifties and sixties, not that I have real a grasp on all of that)

willag wrote:
Arrow Once memorized up to 100 digits of pi, currently only knows 60+

Wow; all that I've ever memorized is Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky". Although I did have two stanza's of "The Conqueror Worm" at one point.

willag wrote:
Arrow Has played with pig's heads

I missed my chance to do that by passing up my chances to go up to my great uncle's farm in Schuylkill county to help slaughter the hogs. (My brother did, he wrote a very detailed account of it for his high school English class)

The King of Harts wrote:
That is a shockingly boring intro willag. I expected more from you. I am disappoint.

Did you want her to declare that she has descended from the Heavens with a choir of angels, both magnificent and terrible, to proclaim her dominion on Earth?

Blood- wrote:
Whaddaya mean? For 90 per cent of ANN male posters she had us at:

Quote:

That's kind of a grim truth, but a truth all the same. That said, at least it doesn't get the horrifying results that it sometimes does in other 'nerd' cultures and isn't as uncommon either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 148 of 233