• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Anime Fest to Be Combined With New York Comic Con

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamikaze Ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
So, it's not NYCC with a little bit of NYAF anymore. It's just NYCC with maybe some anime things if we feel like it. Really?

I feel like this is the ultimate "screw you anime fans" in the NYC area, if the past two years weren't enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
This saddens me as well.

I went there last year for the first time and it was definitely a "side-show" - but it was nice to see the anime panels and artists alley.

Knowing that it will integrated into fully doesn't make me happy with the crowds and confusion that I saw...especially in the artist sections that were difficult to navigate.

It does feel like a "screw you" - and the Masqueraders will probably not be too happy.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Great.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
This upsets me to to end because I liked NYAF when it was by itself. Being mixed with NYCC like it has the last few years has been insufferable. Never in my life have I had to wait online outside in the boiling sun for 4 hours just to get in the door, with a pre-purchased pass.

There is absolutely no room to move what so ever and to actually find anything anime related is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

And I don't get how it was a separate event, just going on at the same time. Nothing was separate the last 2 years. It was all intermixed together into a tangled web of nonsense. If they do not have some totally awesome guests worth the time and hassle of going, I will be skipping this year, which is disappointing as it would be the only con I planned on attending.
bluesilo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I started going to NYCC two years ago it always felt that the Anime was just a sideshow anyways. There were like 10 dealers in the dealers room selling anime related merchandise and of those 2 were selling Manga. This was only a matter of time unfortunately.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
*Continues to curse that company for starting C2E2 then having NYCC steal NYAF's time spot in thier calendar.* I saw this coming a mile away.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I went to NYCC/NYAF last year. I agree the anime aspect definitely felt like a sideshow, but there was a lot of screenings you could attend if you wanted to see some good stuff. For example I saw Hoshi O Ou Kodomo, although I missed the ANN thing because they were apparently filled even tho I showed up over an hour early.

Anyways there is still a lot of fun stuff to do there besides anime related things, I will probably still attend even though hearing this is a disappointment.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
This upsets me to to end because I liked NYAF when it was by itself. Being mixed with NYCC like it has the last few years has been insufferable. Never in my life have I had to wait online outside in the boiling sun for 4 hours just to get in the door, with a pre-purchased pass.

When did that happen? Never had an issue with getting in save for last year (and only on Friday). Lines weren't that bad once the initial registration rush was done.

Quote:
There is absolutely no room to move what so ever and to actually find anything anime related is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Damn straight about the traffic control. It seems that they have all of the bigger panels/events in the same area every time and it just creates a choke point. On the other side of Javits (or just a hall or two over)? Tumbleweeds. That's stupid no matter how you slice it.

I didn't have an issue finding anything anime-related however. The mobile app (when you can get coverage) worked fine, and their maps/schedules were accurate. I can see how it might have been an issue, however.

Quote:
And I don't get how it was a separate event, just going on at the same time. Nothing was separate the last 2 years. It was all intermixed together into a tangled web of nonsense.

HELL YES!!! I actually thought that they'd already merged these two already (I mean, they even use the same badge; no other co-located events at Javits or any other convention center I am aware of does this).

yamiangie wrote:
I saw this coming a mile away.

Heck, I thought it already happened... surprised that it didn't happen sooner.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame because out of all the East Coast cities NY to me has the most Japanese culture and is smart location for an anime con.

There is of course Otakon but that's a little farther for NY fans. I am lucky because I live in Phila inbetween NY & Baltimore.
Kamikaze Ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
It's a shame because out of all the East Coast cities NY to me has the most Japanese culture and is smart location for an anime con.

There is of course Otakon but that's a little farther for NY fans. I am lucky because I live in Phila inbetween NY & Baltimore.

Don't forget about AnimeNEXT that's coming up in less than 2 weeks, which has been the only decently sized con that is truly an anime con in the NY/NJ area for these past several years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Having gone to NYCC/NYAF myself, I honestly thought this had already happened. Other than the NYAF Artist Alley and... what was it, that space lounging area being on the top floor, and certain panels, NYCC was really the main presence there.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Tue May 29, 2012 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of New York Anime Fest.
_V_

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Well I went to both 2010 and 2011...and to be honest, it already felt more or less "combined" back in 2011, and the year before. A big general scifi convention with an anime track.

The anime track at a large general convention can nonetheless be much larger than many smaller purely anime conventions.

2010 had some problems with the merge, but these were largely fixed in 2011.

Mistakes in 2010 included wedging the anime booths on the dealer's floor all the way at an edge in a narrow alley, which led to traffic jams. In 2011, they gave better priority placement to the anime booths, so more people could move freely around them. This was fixed.

Also, the art gallery of fan-made stuff to buy was in a decent location in 2010, but in 2011, was given an even better spot up on the upper floor (yeah it was a bit out of the way, but it had ample space. Hey, we have convention maps, we know where these things are, we're already going out of our way to a convention, I don't mind if its on a higher floor if it has better space.

The only problem I had in 2011 was that they drastically cut down on the number of fan panels, as well as space for panels -- which I would assume they're haggling with NYCC for. Everyone needs space. But the non-industry panels were just shoved off onto the stage show area, in this big glass room in which sound didn't carry well.

I did attend some of the panels held at the stage there, i.e. the Eva one, but I wasn't wearing my V costume so its not like I was announcing it was me.

Still, I see no major problem in combining the two events; they essentially were combined the past two years. Maybe having an actual "anime track" in-house within NYCC will make them pay more attention to it, instead of fighting with NYAF. My only complaint was that, relative to Anime Boston's wonderful Hynes Convention center, we really need more space for fan panels.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Not very surprised with the change. As _V_ pointed out, it was pretty much combined back in 2010 even though all the anime stuff was shoved in the south wing of the convention center and the dealers were put together in a little area on the exhibition floor. 2011 was a little more diversified besides throwing the anime artist alley up top (which was fine).

So, pretty much now it's 100% official the events are combined.

There was another event or two going on the same weekend I think last year. If nothing else was going on and Reed could rent out more space that should help out with panels since more rooms would be open.
deidara517

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Having gone to NYCC/NYAF myself, I honestly thought this had already happened. Other than the NYAF Artist Alley and... what was it, that space lounging area being on the top floor, and certain panels, NYCC was really the main presence there.

i actually liked the anime lounge on the top floor thought that was awesome and a nice place to take a break

i also thought they merged already but im a bit afraid now that the anime will be totally overwritten that said i hope they do this right i might like comics but im really only going for the anime i also hope they still sell a Anime VIP ticket this year cause i really like those
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2