• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office, June 9-10

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny that the year's best-grossing Japanese film based on a manga that fandom hardly cares about. Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that pretty standard though? Rarely do the otaku/fujoshi fandom mix into the mainstream theatrical productions.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
It's really hard to care about a manga that ended 3 years ago but still with the sales figures it feels kind of false to claim "no one" cared about it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Isn't that pretty standard though? Rarely do the otaku/fujoshi fandom mix into the mainstream theatrical productions.

Seems lately high-grossing J-films based on manga are ones fandom cares about though; s'why I thought this was kinda exceptional.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
It's really hard to care about a manga that ended 3 years ago but still with the sales figures it feels kind of false to claim "no one" cared about it.

Ah, but I didn't say "no one;" I specifically meant fandom. And fandom can care about a manga then have a movie years later.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Without reading minds, how can you conclude the fandom hardly cares about the manga when the manga ended 3 years ago when the franchise has been made into a J-drama and film?
I don't get it. Where is the fandom's opinion in this article other than your speculation of it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I find it funny that the year's best-grossing Japanese film based on a manga that fandom hardly cares about. Laughing

I'm pretty sure that Josei fandom cared a lot about it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Without reading minds, how can you conclude the fandom hardly cares about the manga when the manga ended 3 years ago when the franchise has been made into a J-drama and film?
I don't get it. Where is the fandom's opinion in this article other than your speculation of it.

We're both speculating, but I shall say on my part that it's speculation based on observation; no need to go all the way reading minds. Just present me where there's a lot of discussion about it in fandom, then I may change my mind.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Josei fandom cared a lot about it.

You could be right; I'm only so-so familiar with josei fandom. At least it hasn't been talked about in our piece of anime/manga fandom......... well, a little bit now due to the movie's success, but before that, none even about the manga.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

At least it hasn't been talked about in our piece of anime/manga fandom.........

Well no shit it hasn't, did you read the goddamn description of the movie? Just because its based on a manga doesn't mean it was ever even remotely expected to appeal to Otaku. Even thinking so shows you have no understanding whatsoever of what manga is like compared to anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

At least it hasn't been talked about in our piece of anime/manga fandom.........

Well no shit it hasn't, did you read the goddamn description of the movie? Just because its based on a manga doesn't mean it was ever even remotely expected to appeal to Otaku.

That's just what I said in the beginning.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Except its not funny. Its, in fact, completely expected.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Except its not funny. Its, in fact, completely expected.

Which were the best-grossing J-films based on manga that fandom hardly cares about, not including this one?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Which were the best-grossing J-films based on manga that fandom hardly cares about, not including this one?

I have no idea.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I have no idea.

Me too. When I saw Thermae Romae's year gross, I tried to recall the last time such a thing occurred. It's expected such from stuff like One Piece or Detective Conan or Ghibli - stuff our fandom at least familiar about. That's why I thought it was funny --and exceptional-- that it exploded regardless of our fandom prior indifference. I was impressed, like it came out of left field. Smile
molibdaenum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding: enurtsol is talking about "Thermae Romae", an ongoing manga, not "Hotaru no Hikari"; I assume.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We're both speculating, but I shall say on my part that it's speculation based on observation; no need to go all the way reading minds. Just present me where there's a lot of discussion about it in fandom, then I may change my mind.

What observation? None of the numbers here or associated with the Hotaru no Hikari franchise indicate that the fandom does not care about the manga. If you're going to observe something that proves to be in opposition to the charts found here then you should probably cite your sources otherwise your observations will look like they've been pulled out of thin air.

No more misdirections or feints, please. The onus is on you to prove the fandom doesn't care because that's a statement you've made and apparently lack the ability to back up said claim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2