• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 50% of Evangelion Movie Funds Raised

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Whoa. I saw no mistakes anywhere. Holy friggin' crap. This reporter got it right.

I never knew just how good ADV is doing business-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if Donald Trump invested in them (which would inevitably lead to his playing a boss in a series so he can say "You're fired!"). Laughing

I can't believe that moronic otaku thought ADV made Eva. Some otaku. Rolling Eyes

Because this article was so good, I don't even mind the tiny bit where they called anime "cartoons". "Animation" would've been better, but this article had enough credibility and well-done research that I can let that slide. That dumbass reporter who said anime is illegal in Canada and didn't know the difference between anime and manga should take note.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I've seen articles elsewhere that claim that this 50% comes from Gainax themselves.

Until the cameras start rolling, if they ever start rolling, I'll maintain my extreme skepticism that live-action Evangelion will ever be more than a few production sketches and a lot of hot air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a really well done article. But I am just amazed that they have raised half the money for the Eva movie. This is no longer a pipe dream for die hard Eva fans. This movie might now have a realistic shot of beaing made. When I herd it was in devolpment, I thought there was no way this will ever be made. But it looks like I might be wrong. Now all they need to do is get a decent script made, something that is true to the anime, and get a director that would understand how to make big budget iconic work (*cough* Peter Jackson *cough*) and get the process started. I'm started to get a little excited that this one day will be made.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Eh, I've seen articles elsewhere that claim that this 50% comes from Gainax themselves.

Nowhere in the article does it claim ADV raised the money either. It says "the Project." The "new" Project Eva has always been a collaboration between ADV and Gainax. So it matters not from whence the money came, only that it is there.
The Infernal Dragoon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I am very impressed with this article. It seems to have been written with a good deal of backround research on anime and ADV, especially when compared to the abominable articles I've seen written about anime in the past.

As for the money, if they have 50% of the budget, regardless of who it comes from, that sounds pretty hopeful.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Guh, fans like the one mentioned in the beginning of the article give the fandom a bad name.

Now, how much money is required to include everyone's favorite onsen penguin in the film? Very Happy

I'm still highly skeptical that, even if the film is made, that it'll be any good. I'm of the mind that anime should remain anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Jgobats81886 wrote:
Wow, this is a really well done article. But I am just amazed that they have raised half the money for the Eva movie. This is no longer a pipe dream for die hard Eva fans. This movie might now have a realistic shot of beaing made. When I herd it was in devolpment, I thought there was no way this will ever be made. But it looks like I might be wrong. Now all they need to do is get a decent script made, something that is true to the anime, and get a director that would understand how to make big budget iconic work (*cough* Peter Jackson *cough*) and get the process started. I'm started to get a little excited that this one day will be made.

I dunno, man. He's busy with the executive-producer thing in the upcoming Halo movie, and he's always open to doing a live-action version of The Hobbit once the legal issues clear up, so his plate might be full already.
Am I the only one who thinks of that episode of The Simpsons where a live-action Radioactive Man movie is attempted, but abandoned when I hear about live-action Eva?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_Man_%28The_Simpsons_episode%29
Even though I'm an Eva virgin, I'm convinced the only way this won't be a trainwreck is if Hideki Anno himself directs the live-action adaptation and writes the script as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Isaaru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

I never knew just how good ADV is doing business-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if Donald Trump invested in them (which would inevitably lead to his playing a boss in a series so he can say "You're fired!"). Laughing

Yeah, they could work the Eva movie into an epsiode of the Apprentice like they did with Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. Imagine the hilarity when Trump orders a bunch of clueless folks into figuring a display stand at Best Buy in order to market this insanity.

SOME WHITE GUY: "So..uh...are these robots are not the bad guys?"

TRUMP: "You dont' have a clue about the biggest anime in the history of mankind ......... Your fired!."
Isaaru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
great article btw.

But a terrible title for the article. "Its Profitmon!?"
kyosukekasuga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ditto that Anno is the best (if not the only) director that can make EVA happen in live-action and still be EVA. I don't think that even Peter Jackson would be appropriate (though a good second choice). Anno's apparently gone to making live-action films only in Japan, and while they're not really great (Love and Pop, and Cutie Honey, to name a couple), I would have faith that in the few years it takes for Anno-san to get his skills up that the EVA movie would be ready to be made.

Personally, I'm a skeptic that Hollywood would ever go with EVA but then $$$ talks, and right now's a good time to make an epic, with all of these other epic films that have come out and done well.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow. 50%? Sounds like a good number to me.

Still, that means that there's still 50% left not raised . . . and I don't think even GAINAX is crazy enough about this project (Yet?) to toss in much more than they already have. (Whatever amount that may be.)

The anime industry may be growing, but it's growing slowly, and ADV doesn't seem to be riding that wave all too well recently. (A certain television network comes to mind.)

What ADV needs is a booster-shot show, preferably one getting shown on basic cable. (Yes, I know NGE is on Adult Swim, but it was already a mega-huge series. Not exactly a big jump.) Geneon and Funimation have found relative gold with Samurai Champloo and Fullmetal Alchemist, ADV needs to get off the "It's shiny! License it! License it!" horse and start going for something with a tad more meat.

Personal suggestion: GetBackers. Yes, I know all the DVDs are already out, but it's still a good series for the Adult Swim crowd (Lots of fights, sexy gals, and the occasional pretty-boy for the lady fans.) and has enough episodes to keep everyone happy.
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I wasnt aware that Peter Jackson was doing the Halo movie. Ok, choice number 2 (not counting Anno,) The Wachowski Brothers. Everyone who is even a casual Matrix fan knows that they are huge anime fans; Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll beaing actual influences on the Matrix. So, if there are americans that could do it right, it would be them.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
It mentioned that Transformers was anime. Is that true?
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
What ADV needs is a booster-shot show, preferably one getting shown on basic cable. (Yes, I know NGE is on Adult Swim, but it was already a mega-huge series. Not exactly a big jump.) Geneon and Funimation have found relative gold with Samurai Champloo and Fullmetal Alchemist, ADV needs to get off the "It's shiny! License it! License it!" horse and start going for something with a tad more meat.

I think they should give Golden Boy a chance on AS. I'm sure that would even catch the attention of the comedy fans. But there'd be a lot of editing to do, even if they were to air it at the TV-MA level (which would be the ONLY level they could air it at).
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
JTtheBrick wrote:
It mentioned that Transformers was anime. Is that true?

Yeah. Some of the later series are Japanese in flavor... and the whole thing is listed in the ANN encyclopedia... Cool
anime#2597
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5