• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Government Official/Activist Ronan Farrow Joins Poppy Hill Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Feels like they're gunning for the Oscar here, since Brave isn't that strong of a film and no other animation has a chance, even Arrietty. I haven't seen ParaNorman yet, and there's still Wreck it Ralph, might those have a chance?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I think Brave has enough power to at least be nominated, but Poppy Hill is definitely likely. There's also ParaNorman, Hotel Transylvania, Wreck-It-Ralph, and of course The Secret World of Arrietty, but I don't see that happening... Madagascar 3?
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Paranorman has been very well received by those who have watched it so I think it's going to be a contender, as well as Wreck-it Ralph. I hope Madagascar 3 is nowhere near the academy awards.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
What....Just what?....I mean this dude is a political adviser why is he in this dub? Just because he's the son of a director and an actress doesn't mean he can act! Ron Howard was a bit questionable already but at least he's actually acted. This doesn't even make sense from a Stunt Casting Point of View.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
My guess? He's cozy with somebody on the dub team and they want to give his political priorities a little bump. Why people think politicizing what very little isn't these days is a good idea is beyond.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Talking about this nut dude, and his insane father/family shouldn't generate news. He's a government "adviser?" LOL, that shows you how useless government is these days kiddies.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
We don't even know his part in the movie yet. Probably an incidental character.

Anyways, as mentioned here before, I believe Arrietty is ineligible. For the 2012 Best Animated Film Oscars, here are a couple relevant rules:
(Those rules are from the 2011 Oscars - just advance every date by one year, i.e. turn anything 2010 -> 2011 and 2011 -> 2012.)

1. The required Los Angeles County qualifying run (described in Rule Two Paragraph 2) must begin between January 1, 2012, and midnight of December 31, 2012.

3. A picture first theatrically exhibited outside the U.S. prior to the Los Angeles County qualifying run shall be eligible for submission provided the prior exhibition takes place in a commercial motion picture theater after January 1, 2011

Arrietty was released in the U.S. in 2012, so that satisfies Rule #1.

However, Arrietty was originally released in Japan in 2010, so that does not satisfy Rule #3 - therefore ineligible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1