• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Madoka Magica Film Earns US$1.7 Million in 1st Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreznovk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
According to that site, this movie have the highest sales/screen average compare to the rest of the list ($41,318 vs #1 with $15,914) which is really impressive, those theaters must be packed with people.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
I have never heard of the chinese show and didn't that american one come out last year?

put it in ghibli numbers or use K-on's opening weekend.
dreznovk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I have never heard of the chinese show and didn't that american one come out last year?

put it in ghibli numbers or use K-on's opening weekend.

I don't know about ghibli but according to wiki, the K-on film opened at #2 with a gross of $4,070,919 USD from 137 theaters, so the average is $29,175. I think if Madoka had more screens the sales would be much better than this.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
I think an "actual sales vs. theoretical max" metric might be interesting in this case.

There is an upper limit on just how many people can see a movie at a given time, after all.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Madoka's also had the highest per-screen average of 2012. Shocked
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
Forget these recaps, let's get the 3rd film out!
Hopeless Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
I knew that the Madoka franchise was popular, but to make THAT much money with limited showings, wow. Shocked And that just for the recap movies. I wonder much money would be made when the third movie comes out? Unfortunately I won't be able see them on the big screen when the movies come to the West both for financial reasons and movies will shown in any of the theaters where I live. Crying or Very sad
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's pretty good by Japan's standards. It's interesting how their film rankings are when compared to the US. I look forward to seeing the film. I hope that 2+hrs will do the series justice. I just finished the rest of the series a couple of days ago. So I just picked up all 3 vols at the con as a student request back in 2011 and I'm looking to pick up the BD/combo LE for myself at some point. I have no choice it's the only way to get some Yuki Kajiura, since I can't find CD anywhere. I'm actually surprised that Aniplex had the series dubbed.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I would be interested in knowing how many of those who saw it were fans what saw the TV series first, and how many were first timers just curious to see what it was all about.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I would be interested in knowing how many of those who saw it were fans what saw the TV series first, and how many were first timers just curious to see what it was all about.

Tickets required you to visit the theaters beforehand to grab the ticket for that theater. Once you come back on viewing day, you wait in line until you get to the counter, and then you choose your seat in the theater from a screen or something, and you do whatever until the movie time. The theater in Kyoto was packed. It was ridiculous trying to get in... but hey. I got some cool Madoka goods in the meantime, including popcorn bags and such featuring the movie posters. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1