• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I.G, Masaaki Yuasa's Kick-Heart Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Glad that it is getting an English dub (I'm a little curious about how the backer dub will play out). I'm really looking forward to getting my copy in the mail.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Very pleased to see it hitting the second stretch goal, as improbable as it seemed 24 hours ago.

I thank the second $10 000 backer and the $2 000 backer most of all. The dub may (most likely) not have happened without them.

All those who made their pledge should pat themselves on the back and treat themselves to their favourite indulgence.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the dub gets an airing on [Adult-Swim]/Toonami sometime in 2013.
RTL3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Excellent! really didn't think it would hit 200k 24 hours ago, major props to those last minute contributors, but really everyone. good or bad, fans got it funded. cant wait to see how it turns out.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
As a Day-1 backer, I'm really glad that this was successful.
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
I only had 15 to donate ,but I gave it. It would be really neat if they had a kickstarter to release dvds of their already created animation works, like Tatami Galaxy and Kaiba. I know the studios might not care that much about an NA customers, but it would be a great way to profit on their works without having to loan out the license to someone else.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Wow...I was just a bit disappointed yesterday that it wasn't all that close to the $200k mark, and then I check in tonight and see that it's about to pass it with an hour to spare. Awesome. Very Happy
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Really glad it made it to this stretch goal, looking forward to seeing (and hearing) this!
kikiyo2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Why does this news keep getting posted on ANN? Last I checked anime was defined as JAPANESE animation for JAPANESE. This is an English funded project and therefore shouldn't qualify as being anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense since I'd daresay most of the backers speak English.

kikiyo2 wrote:
Why does this news keep getting posted on ANN? Last I checked anime was defined as JAPANESE animation for JAPANESE. This is an English funded project and therefore shouldn't qualify as being anime.

Haven't heard source of funding being one of the criteria before.
Disney funded the Japanese TV anime of Lilo and Stitch after all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:

Um not to sound rude but what are you on? When has anime ever only been defined as animation only for the Japanese? Last I checked it was defined as Animation made in Japan period. Anime is made in Japan and is usually targeted at Japanese viewers, but that is only because the anime market is the biggest in Japan. There are exceptions to that like the Trigun movie, or Readline which were both made with Western audiences in mind. Or are you really going to say that the Trigun movie and Readline aren’t really anime because it was made mainly for Western audiences? Rolling Eyes Also it wasn't only an “English” funded project, anime fans from all over the world helped out including ones in Japan.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:

Nothing in this post is accurate.
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:

Best remove all mentions of Ghost in the Shell from the site as well, because Manga Entertainment certainly ploughed an awful lot of money into funding that movie...
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
I only had 15 to donate ,but I gave it. It would be really neat if they had a kickstarter to release dvds of their already created animation works, like Tatami Galaxy and Kaiba. I know the studios might not care that much about an NA customers, but it would be a great way to profit on their works without having to loan out the license to someone else.

Bear in mind that, whilst Kick-Heart has Yuasas name attached to it, all those shows were produced by studios other than Production IG - Tatami Galaxy was produced at Madhouse, as was Kaiba. They were also produced in conjunction with FujiTV for Noitamina.

Adding to the rights headache, bear in mind that Tatami Galaxy has already been released in English in both the UK and Australia, and Kaiba has an Australian licensor also (and it wouldn't shock me if they were out in several non-English countries too) - you'd essentially have to limit those able to throw into the kickstarter to just NA backers. For relatively niche shows like these, I think it'd be asking a little too much, honestly.
unitzer07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
everyone here realizes that most anime is produced in Korea and China right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2