• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
well this show is actually sponsored and advised by NASA and other interested groups so trying to downplay the fantasy and introduce the reality with the natural aw of a launch could have been something they all agreed to.

That's possible. I was merely commenting on what I see as a very smart creative decision not to use music in those scenes. By doing so, they actually gave those scenes more emotional power, imo, then if they had gone the more conventional route of having music over them. This is especially true because this show is not usually shy about using music to "enhance" the mood, so good on them for showing some discipline in those scenes.

wasn't questioning your post just thinking they may have wanted it that way by design.
Gigikun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Next episode's gonna be Akihiko Hoshide's voice acting performance/appearance! Looking forward to the next arc, it's gonna be an awesome one if the episodes are gonna be following the manga closely. Then again, almost all episodes until now have been awesome :p
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
i want my own Sunny Tsurumi. i still think the JAXA director is the best character in the show.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 31

spoiler[So the launch finally happened.
Hibito finally made it into space.
Childhood flashbacks were nice.
New info about those brothers is always good.]

Things are getting a bit interesting again...
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
a few issues:

ignition is at 10 seconds

liftoff is at zero

the separation of the DES module had a gravitic fall away outside the atmosphere.

the only reason I'm being picky on these is NASA is sponsoring this why wouldn't they get actual advice on the countdown and the vacuum of space
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this episode wasn't too good with its realism. The SRBs stayed on till space, and so did the first stage. The time given from Earth till space was thirty seconds, which is absurd; Apollo missions took twelve minutes and Space Shuttles took eight minutes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
There was sound in space. Suspension of disbelief is over, F Minus, see me after class. Worst. Anime. Ever.

I feel like all of the drama, tension, and possible excitement in this show just spreads too thin over the supposed 48 episode length. There's too much to cover in 13 episodes or a film, but you can feel it dragging quite often every episode with slow pans and still shots that aren't meant for atmosphere building. Oh well, the end is in sight and at least one of them have finally left ground.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
anyone know any reason they kept showing the knotted rope where Mutta was because by the third time they focused on it I really wondered what its supposed to do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering the same thing, too. Maybe it's a symbol of the way the fates of the brothers are tied together? Hibito going into space shook the knot that binds them, but did not break it or some such thing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
That was my reading, too, that the knot was intended to symbolize the tie between the brothers, but I did think the director overdid it a bit.

Do astronauts really push a button to detach the booster? I would have thought the on-board computer handled stuff like that with manual overrides used only in case of emergency.

And who was piping those scenes of the two spacecraft docking down to Houston? Aliens?

I miss Serika.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It was really cool to see Hoshide Akihiko's part. First Anime lines recorded in space. I thought that he would not appear for a little while longer, so it was a happy surprise to see him.

yuna49 wrote:
And who was piping those scenes of the two spacecraft docking down to Houston? Aliens?

LOL, nice catch. I didn't notice that at all, but you're right, the telemetry scenes of the docking came from nowhere.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey, they fixed the spelling of "FUEL".

Loved the crowd shots at the launch!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There was sound in space. Suspension of disbelief is over, F Minus, see me after class. Worst. Anime. Ever.

I knew someone would complain about this. lol.

Answer: computers (AND A WIZARD) did it.

I was surprised by the preview to learn that spoiler[Azuma has a family...]

I thought it was strange how they mentioned that you reach space after about thirty seconds.

IIRC it takes about eight minutes to reach orbit... although you are technically in space before that point. I didn't think it was as short as half a minute though.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Well they're apparently working with NASA and JAXA on this so maybe the 30 seconds to space thing is a new record their looking to break with the future rockets?

lol a man can only hope I suppose.

When was there sound in space btw? And let's be fair here...in an anime, they'd want to make noises to indicate things happening, otherwise you've a picture and no sound and that's a big no-no in any film entertainment unless you're going for a particular feel. Hell, even space movies we see have sound in space, so have to give it a little leeway.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Well they're apparently working with NASA and JAXA on this so maybe the 30 seconds to space thing is a new record their looking to break with the future rockets?

lol a man can only hope I suppose.

Well, I sure don't hope it's that fast. I'd shudder to think of the G-forces that a human would experience in accelerating from rest to orbital speed in just thirty seconds.

But I did the simple calculation anyway out of morbid curiosity, using the orbital speed of the ISS as the target. I got an average acceleration of a little over 26g. That's twenty-six f*cking G. Experienced for thirty seconds. That would cause serious injury to highly-trained astronauts wearing proper suits.

You certainly wouldn't want to subject your precious astronauts to that sort of accel just to get to orbit a little faster. Like I said before, Apollo missions took twelve minutes and the Space Shuttle took eight. That's plenty fast enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 43