• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Play Arts Spike Spiegel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I think it is better to wait for all figures. So many figures I pre-ordered ended up heavily discounted after release. Although I guess I worry so I still preorder the figures I really want, hence I don't really learn any lesson. lol

And I was at the JAM Project concert (sadly missed the VIP event) and yes I agree they were absolutely amazing.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
this one I find odd, isn't Cowboy Bebop not very popular on Japan? But I guess there is a sizeable enough fandom willing to pay for this to be viable.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
That face definitely looks strange, like it's teenager Spike instead of the late 20's Spike in the show.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember when this was first announced, I was excited until I saw the photos. This review has pretty much cemented my stance of not buying it. I think this figure looks terrible.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
this one I find odd, isn't Cowboy Bebop not very popular on Japan? But I guess there is a sizeable enough fandom willing to pay for this to be viable.

That's a lie made up to make it sound like Westerns are anime's true connoisseurs or something. Bebop did pretty well in sales, it wouldn't be getting a premium BD release if it remained unpopular like Outlaw Star.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but this isn't Spike. This is either some weirdo who stole his identity or a fan who is dressing like him for Halloween.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
The box is snazzy but the figure says otherwise.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Sorry, but this isn't Spike. This is either some weirdo who stole his identity or a fan who is dressing like him for Halloween.

I thought the same. Maybe he comes from Ninja Theory's CwB: Cowboy Bebop Razz
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll take your word for it that it looks and feels better in person - it really does look kinda off in the pictures. But hey, I really don't know much about figures. Nice review, as always.

Just a heads up, you seem to have repeated the paragraph starting with "this looks a lot better in front of me than it did in photos" twice.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
kinda weird actually.
looks more like some famous figure skater? but dressed like a dude...
I would've gladly forked over the cash to have it on my shelf, but as it is.... no, don't think so. Makes me wonder what they're going to do with Faye? If hers comes out perfect, who's gonna spring for an incomplete cast?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
PlayArts has, once again, failed. Of course, this goes without saying, given Square-Enix can make stellar characters in their games but can't seem to perform quality checks appropriate in their licensing of goods. To date, there are very few Final Fantasy characters that look like their game counterparts, so seeing Spike transformed into a Final Fantasy character is of no surprise.

To be fair, though: not many figure makers ever did do this series justice. The faces were always off, as well as their attire. Several of the Faye figures put her outfit too yellow, or worse, took liberties on how the outfit was designed.

The only Cowboy Bebop figure I own is Fewture's Faye Valentine, which isn't perfect, but much better than anything else produced at the time.

Speaking of Faye: I shiver to think what her model will look like. We'll probably get a bastardization of Sailor Moon, Final Fantasy XIII, and a yellow that's either too dull or too bright.

Even still, these figures will sell to gullible people, which is the entire intent given quality is subjective.

As for me: I'll pass on this as well. I'd rather have a deformed Nendo of Spike than this pile of plastic crap.
sonryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'll be getting this one for about $45; it pays to know your local comics shop owner so he can sell it to you closer to cost than msrp Laughing

It's funny (or rather unfortunate) how the actual figures don't look as good as the 'master' used in the solicitations. For example, take the Metal Gear Solid Play Arts Kai Meryl; the face in the unpainted sculpt they previewed on their facebook was perfect, but it's way different on the actual figure, and rather disappointing to be honest.

I can't tell from these pics, and I don't have mine yet, but are Spike's eyes two different shades of brown/red (like they SHOULD be)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
sonryu wrote:

I can't tell from these pics, and I don't have mine yet, but are Spike's eyes two different shades of brown/red (like they SHOULD be)?

Definitely not. The eyes are something I hadn't thought about, even when I went back to comparison images. They're a flat brown.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I think the face is definitely the biggest downside to figure - definitely Host Club Spike. It doesn't seem to look so bad from a distance, but when you get around to posing him, and especially that picture where he's got his legs stretched out and his head turned upwards...I feel like he should have a background of sparkles and roses.

Not a bad figure, but not one I think I'll be adding to my collection. The only Play Arts I tend to go for are the Final Fantasy ones, which I think translate better to Square-Enix's figure line than the 2D animation does.
BeserkerXII

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The second I saw that figure it makes me think...."Woolongs for Nothing, chicks for free."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5UJLhyeJts
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2