• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Opens Countdown Site for December 12

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Star Ocean 5 >.<
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
ugh theses things are everywhere now. i swear it's just to to get the extra publicity.

i know it's a basic marketing technique, as teasing projects has been around for ages.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Knowing Square, its probably a Star Ocean mobile game.

Hoping for Star Ocean 5, though.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

As long as it's more like Star Ocean 1 - 3 and not 4.

4 took away that pretty much made Star Ocean Star Ocean.. but I guess with the requirements of this generation, that's to be expected. It'd work so much better as a handheld/mobile device series. The PSP Star Ocean 1 and 2 were the perfect engine for them.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Considering that The Last Hope was the final Star Ocean (after writing themselves into a corner with 3, who could blame them) this might just be a new series altogether for tri-Ace (if that's what's really going on).
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

As long as it's more like Star Ocean 1 - 3 and not 4.

4 took away that pretty much made Star Ocean Star Ocean.. but I guess with the requirements of this generation, that's to be expected. It'd work so much better as a handheld/mobile device series. The PSP Star Ocean 1 and 2 were the perfect engine for them.

Such as what? I've got the games in my backlog, so I'm curious what was left out of the last game that make it less of a Star Ocean game.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Such as what? I've got the games in my backlog, so I'm curious what was left out of the last game that make it less of a Star Ocean game.

Well the major thing is the ability to choose and recruit specific party members and manipulate their relationships with one another. It would also impact the story and certain scenes if certain party members or combination of party members are present for certain events.

In Star Ocean 1, only four party members were required for the main story. The remaining 4 slots could be filled out with almost any combination of the remaining 9 potential party members.

In Star Ocean 2, only 2 are required members. The remaining 6 slots could be filled with almost any combination of the remaining 11 potential party members. 2 is also what I consider the best series in the franchise.

In Star Ocean 3 they limited it more than the first. 6 were required and only the last 2 slots could be filled with any of the 4 optional characters.

You could also do Private Actions which are like skit events with different party members where you can choose dialog options which raises or lowers friendship and romance ranking among the different party members. It affected the ending/epilogue if a character got a solo ending, a friendship ending with one of the other party members, or a romance ending with one of the other party members. There was literally 100s of combinations you could do and with the different combination of party members it had amazing replay value. Not to mention those rankings helped in battle if two high-friendship/romance people were in the same battle party they would boost each other's stats and what not.

The Last Hope didn't really have any of that. You only got 8 party members with no optional/alternate options and the privation actions were severely limited and didn't affect all that much.

It's mainly because 1 and 2 were sprite-based, so it's easy to change a scene by replacing sprites and voice over dialog. Last Hope being current gen meant it would be impossible to have another party member in cutscenes, because you'd have to render all the cut-scenes to have all the different combinations of party members who voice in and affect the story, which would be impossible without it being like ten times the size it already is given the full blown CGI graphics of today. It's one example of where better technology/graphics are actually a hindrance to gameplay. Which is why if they make a new SO game, it should be for the handheld/mobile device because the PSP remakes/ports of 1 and 2 are superb and where the series truly belongs. Though to be fair, The Last Hope was fine as a regular JRPG, it's just no longer really a 'Star Ocean' game after removing the main key elements.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
After what they did to me with the TWEWY countdown, I wont ever trust a SE countdown again...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Well the major thing is the ability to choose and recruit specific party members and manipulate their relationships with one another. It would also impact the story and certain scenes if certain party members or combination of party members are present for certain events.
Which is why if they make a new SO game, it should be for the handheld/mobile device because the PSP remakes/ports of 1 and 2 are superb and where the series truly belongs. Though to be fair, The Last Hope was fine as a regular JRPG, it's just no longer really a 'Star Ocean' game after removing the main key elements.

Interesting. Thanks for the info! I think the first two games just moved up a few spots in my backlog Wink I really enjoy games that can use characters & their relationships like you've described.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
After what they did to me with the TWEWY countdown, I wont ever trust a SE countdown again...

That's a good point. At least it gave us some good remixes.
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
It'll end up being a countdown to an announcement of an announcement.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow. It's interesting watching the tweets scroll by, with people wishing for another Star Ocean in so many different languages.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Butthurt much?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Should I even bring up versus 13 at this point...
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Okay, it's T+10 minutes and nothing is happening. The tweets have become quite derisive...

star epic border war galaxy divide supremacy ambition bandiera and you sys admins are fired!

The countdown went blank, now it's 0:00:00:00, and I think I'll go back to playing SO:TET for the fourth time...

No! T+12 minutes and we have . . . Star Galaxy! Whatever the heck that is.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
So... is it actually anything?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2