• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Flow to Cover Dragon Ball Z TV Anime's Theme Song for Upcoming Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I was expecting that. Still awesome nonetheless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
With how awful Hironobu Kageyama's performance of Soldier Dream was for last year's Saint Seiya pachinko game, I'm glad they didn't bring him back for this and as for FLOW, here's hoping their cover is good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Aw, Toei couldn't get Avril Lavigne for this, too? How disappointing.

(They probably should use "We Gotta Powaa" instead, since it's in the Buu era, shortly after his defeat.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

You know if you have a problem with her singing in One Piece, take it up with Oda. He's the one who likes her music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

You know if you have a problem with her singing in One Piece, take it up with Oda. He's the one who likes her music.

Nobody's perfect, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I take problem with anime fans identifying these musicians by their songs that have been featured in anime. Many of them, FLOW included, have put out a lot of good music that hasn't been featured in anime. They deserve more credit than "the band from that anime"
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
I take problem with anime fans identifying these musicians by their songs that have been featured in anime.

That criticism is totally understood and valid. How do you propose anime fans expose themselves to singles from J-pop artists beyond whatever anime they already had their songs in?
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
I take problem with anime fans identifying these musicians by their songs that have been featured in anime. Many of them, FLOW included, have put out a lot of good music that hasn't been featured in anime. They deserve more credit than "the band from that anime"

Pretty sure the artists are benefiting fine from "that anime band". It's practically a billboard.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:
I take problem with anime fans identifying these musicians by their songs that have been featured in anime.

That criticism is totally understood and valid. How do you propose anime fans expose themselves to singles from J-pop artists beyond whatever anime they already had their songs in?

If you do a hear a song in an anime you like you should try out more of the artist's other work. Chances are they've got other stuff you'll like. Anime is totally fine as an introduction to their music, but its such a small part of what they put out that it's really not fair to label them as that anime singer. Beyond that it's mostly your own exploration. If you like J-pop, or j-rock, or whatever your genre of choice is, you'll want more and you'll look for it. It'll come easy. Youtube's a great source. I've been introduced to plenty of artists just jumping between music videos.

Tomibiki wrote:

Pretty sure the artists are benefiting fine from "that anime band". It's practically a billboard.

Sure it's great publicity. That's the appeal of having your song featured in a popular television series. But as artists I'm sure they'd like to be known for more than that song in that one anime. I certainly would if I were in their shoes.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
A group with a relaxed style composing the theme to a nothing-but serious series? Can't say that's a match made in Heaven, but what the Hell, it's Flow -- it WILL be good. Smile
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Oda is a moron, 'nuff said.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
A group with a relaxed style composing the theme to a nothing-but serious series? Can't say that's a match made in Heaven, but what the Hell, it's Flow -- it WILL be good. Smile

That's a joke right? This is DBZ were talking about. In the last arc the ultimate villain was a pink michelin man (yes I know after his later transformations he became more foreboding but he was still pink Rolling Eyes ). Even if we were to ignore that the villain for this movie is even more ridiculous looking. I'm pretty sure a relaxed group like Flow will suit a silly series (by all intents and purposes) like DBZ just fine.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Agreed.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Agreed.

I'm sorry but your taste in music does not make you somehow superior to him. Nor does it say anything of his intelligence. Music more than being art is entertainment; it has to sound pleasant to the listener. That will vary from person just as taste in food does. Oda's taste in music could be solely mainstream pop or for all you know it could be everything you like AND Lavigne. Regardless it says nothing about his intelligence and it makes him in no way inferior.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
With how awful Hironobu Kageyama's performance of Soldier Dream was for last year's Saint Seiya pachinko game, I'm glad they didn't bring him back for this and as for FLOW, here's hoping their cover is good.

Couldn't they just use an old recording of Cha La Head Cha La assuming that Kageyama hasn't been performing well? That is what some movies and games have done, most recently Ultimate Tenkaichi.

I guess I'm happy with the choice of FLOW anyway from what I've heard before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1