• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Makes Mecha Anime Valvrave the Liberator

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it will be just mecha or super robot.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know nothing about the plot from this, but it certainly looks cool. xD
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is a real mecha series instead of an excuse for a harem show (like IS and Asura Cryin').
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Seems like this will be show will have some good music at least.I am having this under radar,I am very interested who the writer will be.Since it seems that CG will be used I hope that guys who worked on Akito work on this(haven't seen the OVA myself,but I heard a good things about CGI used there).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I hope this is a real mecha series instead of an excuse for a harem show (like IS and Asura Cryin').

Vandread was both. It just needs to strike a proper balance.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Sunrise and giant robots. One of the classic combinations.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Vandread was both. It just needs to strike a proper balance.

I wouldn't exactly call Vandread a "harem" since only two girls were ever seriously interested in the protagonist(the others just sort of interacted with him) but it's still a pretty valid point.

That being said I get the vibe that this'll be a more serious mecha show based on the title and catchphrase. Either way I'm very interested in this since we haven't really had a new original series from Sunrise for a while.
Nico87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Music killed me in a good way. Really looking forward to hear more about Valvrave.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

If this turns into yet another one of those mecha shows that totally forgets the roots of the genre and opts for nonsensical all over the place plotting and simplistic otaku pandering like Eureka Seven AO AND under Sunrise's watch (about the only group I still trust can possibly put on a decent mecha show at this point after I.G, Satelight, Gonzo and now Bones have all utterly shit the bed recently) and the team that did Tiger and Bunny no less then there will truly be no hope left for the concept as I once knew it. This is going to be a make it or break it series for the mecha concept for the near future as I see it.

Seriously all they have to do for me here is if it's a real robot show have a good interesting cast and compelling plotline that stays consistent from week to week or if it's a super robot show have good gar action and a likeable cast show that stays fun from week to week. This should not be that hard. I'm placing all my faith into Sunrise at this point. Save that shit and stop the bleeding out of the mecha concept before it's too late.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Ummm...You do realize the AC anime did not do the series justice, right? It only covered...I think...maybe the first few novels and even then, they took a LOT of creative liberties when it came to things.

Divineking wrote:

I wouldn't exactly call Vandread a "harem" since only two girls were ever seriously interested in the protagonist(the others just sort of interacted with him) but it's still a pretty valid point.

Technically, 3. Jura goes through her phase in Second Stage, I'm pretty sure. But otherwise, Misty and Dita are the only two.

Anyway; Vague title and tagline but awesome mech design. I'll probably check it out.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Ummm...You do realize the AC anime did not do the series justice, right? It only covered...I think...maybe the first few novels and even then, they took a LOT of creative liberties when it came to things.

Ummm...You do realize the novels are not available in the US, right? Rolling Eyes

Besides, the anime was terrible, why would I even want to look further into the franchise.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a Sunrise mecha show made within the past few years?

I'm sure, CERTAIN it won't be a huge time-wasting disappointment of monumental proportions, propped up by how hilariously bad it is, enjoyed ironically, and have bland, uninteresting leads that make the top 10 character lists in anime magazines despite their utter lack of personality.

Surely Sunrise has learned its lesson from Code Geass and Gundam AGE. Surely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

The first season covered the first couple of novels, then they skipped over a bunch of the novels and ended the first season with a later one. Then the second season covered the rest of the volumes and finished the series. There were some changes due to all the content cut out, and the ending was different. However the anime ending was waaaay better than the novels'.

Anyways, always good to get more mecha shows. The unit in the image looks pretty kickass.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, a Sunrise mecha show made within the past few years?

I'm sure, CERTAIN it won't be a huge time-wasting disappointment of monumental proportions, propped up by how hilariously bad it is, enjoyed ironically, and have bland, uninteresting leads that make the top 10 character lists in anime magazines despite their utter lack of personality.

Surely Sunrise has learned its lesson from Code Geass and Gundam AGE. Surely.

Way to cherry pick history for the sake of pushing the most negative narrative possible, completely independent of any actual facts about this show.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I like how the first reaction of people in this thread is to whine about all the shows that don't fit their personal preference as to what a "proper" mecha series should be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2