• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yan!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I've already posted before but I've watch some more and chage my top ten..

1. gundam seed
i like space genre animation.. fighting spaceship kinda get my attention.. i also liked the story og GS alone.. its story about war in space and conflict between 2 race.. i find it really good. also good graphics and the preference in speaking is nicely made..

2. school rumble
what i liked about school rumble is that its full of none sense and stupid ideas. its really funny. all characters are like tied w/ another with makes it rally in a rumbled. its really good. really funny. its actually different w/ other anime in case of the ending. you'll see it when you watch

3. ROD
it really had style. lots of story to talk but good fighting scenes. this anime is actually a drama w/ little comedy. it also has a nice ending

4. infinite ryvius
when i watch it, its first series already got my atention. well ryvius or rivius is also a space genre. yeah! spaceships again. but its different from gundam. you'll see here how humans fight for their survival its sory is really great.

5. Full metal panic, fumofu, 2nd raid
this is one of the funniest anime i watch my favorite here is fumoffu. if you watch it its an anime that is science fiction and very funny.

6 and 7. hunter x hunter and naruto
i really like the fighting scenes of this 2 anime. i got interested in them because of the action. but i got a little tired w/ naruto after about 140esp or something cause it got out of the story and focus on missions and it became boring

8. crest of the stars, banner of the stars 1, banner of the stars 2, banner of the stars 3
as you can see these are all one and come after another. also a spce gnre w/ spaceship. actually it dont have a real long story but a really short one. yet you'll she how it became long with every detailed told. but still is interesting. its also a little different cause here the hero is not really the one w/ power.

9. Beck
good story. apply in life. good music. its actually a music genre. singing bands something like that. so if you're tired with anime w/ all super powers or something try this out.

10. mai hime
nice fighting to. and has a nice aura in watching it. good graphics. story isn't bad at all

i also liked fushigi yuugi, yuyuhakusho, twin spica, madlax there also one of my favorites but I've watch couple years ago already anime in my top ten here are anime I've watch since last year..
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
[Your mindless list, capped off by your blatant ignorance of what you profess to hate, is not amusing. -Nagi]

Revision pending...

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sho Ayori

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:50 am Reply with quote
Let's see...

1. Detective Conan: Interesting murders and crimes only adds to the lovable storyline.

2. Cardcaptors: I like the magical girl genre, it's somehow appealing to me naturally. I just really like the characters too.

3. The Vision of Escaflowne: My interest in this rocketed when I bought a box set of the first series, since then I've loved the battles and the inspiring storyline.

4. Pita Ten: Poor Kotarou. I like the story, and the dilemma of Kotarou's life.

5. Spriggan: Okay, so this is a film, but regardless I loved it. It had a storyline that appealed to me in every way.

6. Metropolis: Nice futuristic anime, if only the ending wasn't so weird.

7. Pokémon, 1st series: I found that the originals are always the best, especially for Pokémon. It's surprising how addictive it was.

8. Mahoromatic: She's cute, for a robot. It's great that she can kick ass but still look like an ordinary maid.

9. Ranma: Gender changing paradoxes, great stuff. Comedic storyline and sweet characters.

10. Yu-Gi-Oh!: I even play the card game, so the series was also interesting for me.

I don't really have any dislikes for anime, I like watching any kind of genre or series that comes on.
Mishamew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote
yay! yay! My turn! Here's my top ten and my least 5 favorites

1. Dazzle- even though it's new to the manga world, i'd say this has to be my newest favorite because of all the actions such as people firing magic outta no where. The main character also has a heart of gold, but she always picks a fight and that makes her a cool character. i quote her *i will squish your head like a watermelo"

2. Faeries' Landings- this book goes along with the famous Korean story about the young bamboo cutter and all that. but the faeries are staying. the main character (you night know the story) spies on beautiful maidens and hears from the half man half deer person (goodfellow) that if you steel their wings, (robes) they stay with you forever.

3. Pita-Ten- this series is really cute in the first four books. then when you get near the middle it takes a drive down drama lane, but it picks up. There are cute angels and a demon as well as crazy kids trying to figure out their ways to compete against each other and find love.

4. Tokyo Mew Mew- i just love the romance in this book and ass kicking half animal, half girls. These supergirls were infused with genes of endangered animals and they have to save the world from aliens basically. This was one of the first series i bought and i loved every book of it.

5. Dream Saga- again, i love the romance in this series because the main character really stays with her love and this is the story about how there's gonna be a world ending if the one's not gonna save it. Um, like, there are two worlds where the main character travels back and worth. One is her real world and the other is her Dream world. ... i'd recommend this book if you're into like, romance and some actions.

6. Kamichama Karin- omg, this is the cutest book i've ever read and i like the main character because she's just like me. she doesn't try hard enough to earn good grades (although i do sometimes) and she's lazy (on weekends and after school) and she's lost her pet cat (mine died too) basically the story is about a new found goddess and she joins with other gods and they're fighting this evil...

7. Wedding Peach- yeah i'm not sure if you guys like all this mushy stuff, but personally i like it because it had angels and demons and love scenes that are really cute and romantic.

8. Wish- this was like, the first book series i've ever own. it's about this angel who's saved by the main character and she wants to repay him. as the story goes on, love is only realized.

9. The First King Adventure- i also like these books because it has a prince who's making packs with all these animals to lift his curse.

10. Mink- the love story in this one is also romantic as the main character found a product in a store that was from the future. she uses it to make her dreams come true and becomes a cyber pop idol. it's really a great story because her love is her manager and all. i'd recommend this for girls who likes the romantic stories too.

i'm sorry, but i dont really have least favorites because i like all my books.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Mishamew wrote:
yay! yay! My turn! Here's my top ten and my least 5 favorites

Um, I'm afraid that this thread is about one's favorite anime, not manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Flame-X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
OK, heres's my top 10 animes. I'm keeping descriptions short.

Gungrave - Best character development and very powerful ending. This proves the anime version is better than the game version. Very similar to Berserk.

Speed Grapher - The theme of the series; money cannot buy happiness. Best anime villian shown. Good end.

Soukyuu No Fafner - This is what I call the opposite of evangelion. First mecha series/special(Right of Left) to make me cry. Great orchestral music. Lovable characters.

Sousei No Aquarion - Very nice rendered CG that blends into 2D scenes. Good storyline and vocal songs.

Ah My Goddess TV - Hillarious! My favorite romantic comedy. The most beautiful character designs I've seen.

Full Metal Panic TSR - Awesome animation. Detailed action. Fantastic OP song. A good mix of school and mecha.

V Gundam - Out of all the Gundam series, I think this is the best of all. It's twisted, tragic, and depressing.

Onegai Teacher - I hate how americans translated this to "Please" Teacher, but overall it's got deep romance and wow Mizo is hot as hell.

KARAS - The only reasons why this is in my top 10 is the animation and action. Outstanding visual effects that will blow you away. Almost comes close to FF7 Advent Children.

Yu Yu Hakusho - Better than Bleach, Naruto, and DBZ all because it had NO FILLER eps.

Top 5 I hate the most.

Evangelion - First time I watched it, I thought it was the greatest thing I've seen. The 4th time I watched, I wanted to understand the story and characters then I realized how annoying the characters can be. The story revolves around the main characters' psychological conscience. The way the series goes deep on the youth stage almost made my mind unstable. I admit the series has a very original story but I hated the characters especially Shinji and Asuka.

Gundam SEED Destiny - The worst gundam series ever made. The director was fukada not Tomino. Call fukada "Flashback'em All." I never seen a gundam series so unoriginal like this. Too many recycled animation and retarted characters. Don't be fooled by the mecha designs because SEED Destiny's mecha didn't focus on its specs.

Inuyasha - Crappiest ending ever. Too many filler eps that interferes with the storyline. Worst villian, Naraku. NOTHING GETS RESOLVED IN THE END.

E's Otherwise - Story goes nowhere. Too many things rushed in the last few eps. Feels incomplete.

[Your description of why you dislike X needs work. "lol its gay HUR HUR" doesnt cut it. -Nagi]
xberserkx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
1. Berserk- The first anime i ever watched in its entirely, i was just simply amazed about everything. I loved the story, the characters, the action, and mostly the emotions that were let out. I don't think i've ever watched something so powerful as berserk, watching it from beginning to end it just develops so perfectly and the climax (of the anime version) cannot be put into words. Overall truly the greatest piece of art ever made in my opinion

2. Cowboy Bebop- How could one not resist Cowboy Bebop? I fell in love with every character (not romantically Anime hyper) each episode was full of everything you could ever ask for. And the music.... omgggggg the music, yoko kanno is a genius. It goes PERFECTLY with the anime. An anime you can't help but love

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion- The classic anime that is considered by many to be the best anime of all time, for me 3rd best lol. Once again another anime with amazing characters, who will always be remembered through time. The most complex anime i've ever watched too, theres so much that i still haven't figured out about it, theres so much that can be interpretated. And its truly amazing how such a story can be put into 24 episodes and 2 movies (DBZ eat your heart out)

4.Rurouni Kenshin- ahh kenshin, my favorite samurai lol. The best samurai anime in my opinion, kenshin is such a great character, funny, intelligent, and very emotionally driven, by watching trust and betrayal you really can see how much the poor guy went through (trust and betrayal is my fav anime movie btw) the series is great too, hilarious, full of action all and all a great anime

5.GTO I can simply explain why this series is great with just one word. Onizuka

6.Ghost in the Shell- one of the first anime movies I ever seen, I always loved cyberpunk themed movies, so i really like this. A great story with alot of meaning to it which really questions the human mind.

7.Hellsing- really cool anime, vampires and all lol. Full of action, blood, the whole nine yards.

8.Excel Saga- TOO DAMN FUNNY. I laughed my butt off with this one, every ep had me on the floor

9.Lupin III- I've always enjoyed anything having to do with lupin, a fun anime, with lots of eps and movies

10.FLCL- wackiest thing i ever seen. Funny, random, and enjoyable all packed into only 6 episodes of goodness
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Here are my Top 4 Favorite Anime:

1.Gundam Seed/Seed Astray(Manga): The animation is good,It has good BGM,opening and ending songs. The songs are Jpop based.I also like the characters like Kira, Lacus, Athrun, etc. I also like the Spin-off Manga series, Gundam Astray, the mecha designs are good.

2.Full Metal Alchemist: The plot is good and I also like the characters, its a touching story of two brothers who tried to revive their dead mom.

3.Chobits: I like this anime coz It's so funny! I couldn't stop laughing after is saw the third episode.

4.Get Backers:I like the setting of the story and its plot. Though most of the time the series is serious, it also has some funny scenes and episodes.

Top 2 Worst ever Anime:

1.SD Gundam Force: This is one of the worst Ever shows iv'e ever seen. plus it's a HUGE Insult to all the Gundam series, mostly Gundam Wing,0083,Chars Counterattack, and G Gundam. Why? Cause it took the seriousness of the plot in the gundam series and turned it into some kiddie like show!! I advise gundam fans not to watch this.

2.Dragon Ball Z: the series is very very long, it consists of neverending useless battles, the fight lasts very long, It gets more boring and boring by the episode.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote
I'm finally posting in this topic. I think I'm ready for it.

Best:

1: Trigun

The story of a man and his struggle to maintain his pacifism. Trigun is the anime that started me along the trail of watching anime in the first place. Vash is the greatest hero I have ever seen. His views on life have changed my own life. I would not have the positive qualities I have today if not for Trigun; I would merely be consumed by my worst side (which still gets to come out now and then anyway). Trigun also set me on the path of being a writer. I don't think I can thank Trigun and the people who made it enough.

2: Gungrave

More magic from Yasuhiro Nightow. Gungrave is a dark and moody series about friendship, betrayal, and revenge. The drama and sorrow are wonderfully complimented by the music. Sometimes I find it hard to believe this was based on a video game, and a shooter at that! Gungrave helps to show what a video game adaptation SHOULD be. Hollywood, take note.

3: Fullmetal Alchemist

Everything works and everything works perfectly. One is drawn to the story from beginning to end, with its lovable, 3-dimensional characters, bits of comedy and action, and many logical plot-twists. Fullmetal Alchemist has went beyond the gate, and hopefully it will/has changed what anime is/can be in the future.

4: Air

Anime cry I don't think I've ever cried so much watching anything before. Air starts all cute and happy, but it doesn't take long to realize that something is wrong in this town. The characters are easy to love, and you feel for their plights. The story is complex, but easy enough to understand unless you kept looking away from the screen, or something. Also based on a video game, surprising me.

5: The Castle of Cagliostro

This is my favorite movie. Miyazaki took Lupin III and crafted this amazing film. Some may say that it isn't very Lupin-like, but IMO, Miyazaki made the Lupin characters BETTER. The evil of Count Cagliostro and the courage and determination of the heroes in a fantastic setting. It's easy to get behind Lupin in his goal to rescue Clarise, and that's not even all there is to this great film!

LATER EDIT: It's funny to see how outdated this list is now. Only the top two I still consider as... the top two. FMA has moved to 4 (replaced with Eureka Seven), and though I still really like Air, I no longer consider it "top 5" material for me.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:25 am; edited 2 times in total
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
1. Chrono Crusade - Makes you laugh and cry. Glorious series, with cheesecake comedy and romance. Rather depressing yet awesome ending.

2. Full Metal Panic & Fumofuu - A mix of serious mech/military action and romance. The giddy cheesecake comedy is hilarious.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion - A true classic, with some upbeat animation and psychology.

4. Cowboy Bebop - Lots of good gun violence and sexual innuendo. Has one of the craziest characters up to date.

5. Elfen Lied - Full of violence and drama, enough to make you say "WOW" in every episode.

6. Those Who Hunt Elves 1&2 - A series for after a hard day at work. Turn your brain off and enjoy its comedy.

7. Gravion - An awesome mech show, with slews of fan service and action. If you love mecha anime, this is one for you.

8. Aquarian Age - An awesome series drooling with drama. Makes you laugh and tear up at moments in the series.

9. Samarai Champloo - An interesting samarai anime with twists and turns. If your a fan, a must get.

10. Tenchi Universe - A great series filled with giddy woman and hilarious action/comedy.
mariochua

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
Mirmo Zibang!
This anime is very funny and magical,and it has 4 different plots. It is my favourit anime of all,though it isnt a very popular anime. I like the 3rd series(eps 103-150).It is about resculing 7 precious jewels for Tako the robot. Katie and Mirmo went throught the jewel palace too. The 2nd series was good too. The funniest episodes i've ever watched is so far episode 41 and 66.

Last edited by mariochua on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:08 am Reply with quote
mariochua wrote:
Worst anime(from best to worst):
5)Yu-Gi Oh!
This show SCUKS It is dam boring and it has no laughs at all.

4) Initial D
Disgusting anime. It has vomits and it is boring.

3) Hamtaro
This show is super childish. I've always hated the show and the song and the voices are scuking hell. The funny parts are boring.

2) Gundam Seed Destiny
The only word i have to say is"boring"

1) Naturo
I know many people love this show, but it is quite boring to me. It is also quite violent and the animation scuks

Just about none of these are acceptable. When giving reasons, you have to be more comprehensive than to just flatly say "it's boring," or "it sucks." The whole point of explaining your choices is to say why it was "boring" or why it "sucked."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
mariochua wrote:
Worst anime(from best to worst):

4) Initial D
Disgusting anime. It has vomits and it is boring.

A lot of anime has worse things than vomiting. And..I only saw one scene of a person vomitting. To each his own, but I don't see how Initial D being disgusting. Although, I am being heavily biased, since I do like Initial D and I do like cars, how are cars and racing disgusting? Boring may be plausible to you, but disgusting it is not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Purge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone! This is my first post on these boards so I figured what better way to start than with my top 10 and bottom 5 anime! Here goes (not necessairly in order):

FAVE ANIME:

Akira - Superb animation, great story and one of the most memorable biker scenes in any movie, ever! Certainly my number 1.

Full Metal Panic - Ok, i've only watched half the series so far but it's awesome! Good action, great humour and well animated.

Trigun - Vash is one of the greatest anime characters of all time. The first episode had me in stitches and I couldn't wait to watch the rest!

Berserk - Shame about the cliffhanger ending but this is, undoubtedly, one of the best pure sword and sorcery anime ever. And Guts is awesome! I'd love for them to do another series but i'm resigned to the fact that it's not going to happen... Sad

Chobits - Funny, cute, lovable characters, great animation...and just so very very perverted! Awesome!

Ghost in the Shell - Hated this film until I wrote my dissertation on it and actually began to understand what the heck they were talking about! Great action scenes. Personally, I prefer this GITS movie to the series. Just bought GITS 2 so looking forward to that!

Nausicaa - In my opinion this is Miyazaki's best film to date. Loved every minute of it!

Spirited Away - Just behind Nausicaa in my Miyazaki chart. Gorgeous animation, great story. A charming adventure throughout!

New Dominion Tank Police - Leona Ozaki is just great. I want a tank like Bonaparte. Very Happy

Outlaw Star - Another one with great animation and a great storyline! I think it's worth being in the top 10 just for the epsiode on the hot springs planet, if nothing else! Very Happy

I'm looking to watch the following anime in the near future: Fullmetal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain, Samurai 7, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Ghost on the Shell: Standalone Complex 2nd Gig, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Maison Ikkoku, Last Exile. I think a few of those should be in my top 10 if they are as good as i've heard!

WORST ANIME

Naruto - This could have been a really enjoyable series if it wasn't for the long drawn out, bring fight/flashback/fight/flashback/fightsomemore/anotherflashback formula that it has. Awful simply because of this.

Urotsukidoji - Watched this for a uni project (yes, seriously). Awful.

Street Fighter 2: The movie - It's boring, Chun-Li just looks weird and the storyline is messed up.

Pokemon - Did they have a budget for the animation? How about getting some decent scripts... I can't believe this rubbish is so popular.

Patlabor - I just thought it was boring. I know it's popular but...why? Mech designs were nice though.

Anyway, i'm off to watch Chobits again...later! *panties, panties, panties, panties...*
zyban

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Hello! Yes....Noobie...got it....

Best
1. Evangelion: There's always something about your first love, isn't there? Depth, Action, Comedy, great characters. See the above 500 posts.

2. Cowboy Bebop: Great characters, great storyline that the writers managed to fit in and complete nicely, while also managing to have about 20 non-central-plot-related episodes. Just finished watching it again...Don't ya just wanna be Spike? BTW, spoiler[I know this has been done to death, but I interpret "You have to carry the weight" at the end as meaning that Spike didn't die, and he'd have to face life without Julia, and without his 'only purpose in life'; ie revenge.]

3. Trigun: Again great story, FANTASTIC music, good female characters that weren't necessarily sex goddesses, a bumbling hero, as well as the old 'countdown to the final baddie'.

4. Gungrave: What a great story. I didn't know what to expect after seeing the first ep, but it progressed to have absolutely everything. Unrequited love, betrayal, far out science fiction, tragedy. And for some reason,spoiler[even though at the end when everyone but the little girl is dead, you don't feel so bad. It's a full circle kind of feeling.]

5. Twelve Kingdoms: I'm right into the 'world creation' genre ala Lord of the rings. This just had everything. spoiler[It did jump around a little, and ended abruptly. I guess that, like Futurama, we'll have to wait and see if they'll make more. And whatever happened to King Tai and Taiki?]
I can't read Japanese...does anyone out there know if there was ever an English translation of the book printed?

6. Ghost in the Shell SAC: It's like your favourite cop show, only better. I hope the future is like this. Can't wait til they've fully released dubbed versions of 2nd Gig.

7. Noir: Slow to start, but thoroughly addictive. Also an unexpected ending. Chicks with guns (insert dumb laugh here).

8. .Hack//sign: Another slow starter, but once you work out what's REALLY going on, you're in The World. So much so that you go and buy all the PS2 games. 8 (

9. Princess Mononoke: It wasn't the first Miyazaki I had seen, but it was much less "disney" than some of the other Ghibli's can be. It was a brilliant attempt at a more adult film for Ghibli, and the moral of the story was important.

10. Akira: You can't have anime without existenstialism! Groundbreaking, touching, disturbing and exciting.

Also: Hellsing (creepy, great music), Rahxephon (Neon Genesis if Shinji announced his feelings for Misato), Escaflowne (medieval mechas!) and anything by Masamune Shirow, Miyazaki or Otomo.

Worst
1. Urutsukodoji: Why? Why would you make this, and at the end say to yourself, "Yes, I have creatively contributed to the world". I'm no prude, but rape is neither funny or entertaining.

2. Anything made to sell trading cards

3. Dragonball Z: I don't get it. Sorry. Fight, train, fight, destroy world, repeat.

4. Ninja Resurrection: The original was a masterpiece, the Dragon Gem series was quite entertaining, but this was the black sheep. Blood, hack and slash but no story.

5. Devil Man: Another of those horror animes that forgot to include an interesting story between all the blood and guts.

Thank you for reading!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 122