• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Oscars [2013-01-10]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomonX2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna say something like "The Oscars mean nothing" or "America's just biased against "anime" and has no taste" or something along those lines, but I will say this. Brave? Really? That film was a weak Pixar movie. Wreck it Ralph? Again, weak Disney movie.

NOTE: I love a LOT of Disney/Pixar movies and cartoons, but Brave is one of the worst Pixar movies I've ever seen. Wreck it Ralph sucks too. Worst Disney movie in recent history. Even the Direct to Videos like Lion King 2 and believe me, that was a shitty movie, is better than Wreck it Ralph.

Last edited by DomonX2 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that GKids didn't get anything nominated, but the GKids-submitted film I expected to be nominated was The Rabbi's Cat (which got an Annie nomination for Best Animated Film) not From Up On Poppy Hill (which only got nominated for the writing Annie).

I'm in the minority of people who loved Brave more than several other Pixar films that did win the Oscar. Also really enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph, which I believe may actually win it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping either ParaNorman or The Pirates! Band of Misfits win since I find those to be the best animated films of year.If I saw ParaNorman as a kid I am quite certain I would have found the thing to be the coolest thing ever.

Last edited by danilo07 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I mean I understand this is for "American" movies but even in other countries, American cinema is usually nominated regularly especially American animation in JP.

Really disappointing.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I hope Paperman takes it for short film. Absolutely fantastic. In fact I think it was better than Wreck It Ralph, the movie it was shown with. (Although Wreck It Ralph was quite enjoyable as well)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I mean I understand this is for "American" movies but even in other countries, American cinema is usually nominated regularly especially American animation in JP.

I haven't seen any of the submitted anime yet, but it's worth reminding people that Miyazaki's Spirited Away won the second ever Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.

-t
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for the day they separate the 3DCG movies from the Animated movies, In my most sincere opinion, I feel it's stupid to compare something animated with 3D models to something drawn by hand, even if it gets coloured by computer afterwards.

It is just not the same.

Besides that, having watched most of the movies nominated and others that weren't, I feel Brave, Wreck it Ralph and Franken Weenie shouldn't be there. Not because I want Kokuriko to be on the list, but because I feel they weren't good enough to be there. (also, wth, Pirates was done by using real models using stop motion, that's yet another category I would create). On a side note, for me, Kokuriko has been one of the best Ghibli films, though it being on the realm of slice of life, I can see why no one on the west feels it's worth anything (unless there are deaths, aliens, explosions and/or sex, movies seem to not get nominated).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
At least ParaNorman was actually nominated here.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
I can see why no one on the west feels it's worth anything (unless there are deaths, aliens, explosions and/or sex, movies seem to not get nominated).

Aliens are exactly the kind of thing that would likely not get a movie a nomination. These big award shows have a well known bias against genre films.
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't pointing at that genre specifically, just spelled the "classic" genres.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
People saying Brave shouldn't be nominated, then cheering for ParaNorman. The world must be nuts.

ParaNorman had some fabulous animation in the final spoiler[crazy electric witch scenes], but other than that, the only good thing it had was the spoiler[gay brother and the chips machine scene]

I know I'm very biased in Brave's favor because ImagirlandIwatcheditwithmymom-bonding-period, but even if it's not the best of Pixar, it's clearly better than ParaNorman in every aspect
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
WIR was amazing it deserves the nod, it's one of the best disney movies I have seen in a long time. I haven't had a chance to see any of the others yet but brave and pirates have been on my list for a while.
I really enjoyed raise of the guardians though the visuals in that were very spectacular and the story was actual quite good until the final portion. sad to see that not get a nod.

I haven't seen the anime listed but I can't say I am surprised, from what I hear none of them compare to summer wars or even the girl who leapt through time so it's no surprise it didn't get the nod.

I am cheering for paper boy that was a really nice short.
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
At least it was recognized in it's home country and From Up on Poppy Hill won the 2012 Tokyo Anime Awards. Smile You must admit among those other nominees it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's much more mature and not a kid pandering joke-fest like the rest of the entries. Didn't stand much of a chance in a category designed for children's movies.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This isn't anti-Japanese it is all about money and PR. In order for a movie to be even nominated you have to get people to see it first, which means they watch it on their own for some reason (PR, peer buzz, etc) or it is made very easy to see (a mailed screener, viewing party). Outside of the anime community there was no buzz about any of the eligible anime, GKIDS does not have a massive award budget and does not benefit from having kids drag their award voting parents to the theater.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
At least it was recognized in it's home country and From Up on Poppy Hill won the 2012 Tokyo Anime Awards. Smile You must admit among those other nominees it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's much more mature and not a kid pandering joke-fest like the rest of the entries. Didn't stand much of a chance in a category designed for children's movies.

There's plenty in Wreck It Ralph for an adult to enjoy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5