• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Grows Up, Launches Tween to Adult Licensing Subsidiary

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Apperantly this division will licenses titles that are targeted towards tweens, teens, and guess what adults. the article can be found at the link below.

http://www.cynopsis.com/view_cynkids_text.cfm?ID=966

This is...I don't know what to say...but...cool.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
So, can we have the rest of those uncut Shaman King and Yugioh DVDs that would be appealing to "tweens" before 4Kids starts licensing other "tween" titles?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Laruto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
They say Teen and adult things as well. I find this to be wow. I wonder what titles they'll go after and if they'll be distributing it themselves?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
well... how do you think this will work out?

i wonder what they plan to pick up.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
*climbs to the top of Mt.Everest*

ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME!!!!!BOHAHAHAHA!!!!
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
I bet they'll grab some kiddie shows, and hack them up by editing in a ton of blood and peppering the dub scripts with four letter words.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
Expect 4Kids to heavily Americanize "tween" anime by turning characters into mall-crazy valleygirls and inserting random pop culture references while still leaving in mature content and refusing to release subtitled DVDs, or expect 4Kids to produce Afterschool Special-style "tween" drama cartoons with Studio Gonzo, Bratz spin-off shows, and lots more of Mary-Kate And Ashley merchandise and cartoons because remember, 4Kids only cares about your wallet, not anime fans.

Last edited by Kouji on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Todd Fromer of KCSA publicity, representing 4Kids, said that anime isn't necessarily ruled out of the 4Sight line up, but that anime lends itself more to a children's market.

Legions of adult anime fans who are sick of 4Kids editing anime series they own would beg to differ.
JShaggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
I'm still skeptical about 4Kids' new venture, considering the history they've had in handling shows that they license. But then again, we'll all have to wait and see what they do in terms of editing standards before we accept 4Sight as an anime contender, which 4Kids definitely is not.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
herbkir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Sounds like the 4Sight unit will be more interested in domestic properties and associated merchandise rather than anything imported like anime, at least for now.

Whatever, the new unit represents 4Kids admission that their business model is cutting off sales to teens and adults.

I think it's clear from the announcement that any anime property already done up by 4Kids won't be restored for uncut release through 4Sight. (So forget uncut One Piece, people.) Those series are irreversibly tainted. And the last thing the new adult-oriented unit needs is to be associated in any way with any 4Kids releases. (^_*)
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
The Good News: 4kids is growing up

The Bad News: They idots didn't add any anime...

The Furte news?: 4kids adds most of its anime after news of the success of the Naruto uncut boxsets makes it one of the best selling anime DVDs ever! Al Kahn's head expludes after prosessing the info about the Naruto DVDs...

Okay so that last part about Al Kahn might a little farfetched... but still think about it might finnally mean uncut anime...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Hmmmm... perhaps there is hope for them yet. I'm interested to see what they will do.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Expect 4Kids to heavily Americanize "tween" anime by turning characters into mall-crazy valleygirls and inserting random pop culture references while still leaving in mature content and refusing to release subtitled DVDs, or expect 4Kids to produce Afterschool Special-style "tween" drama cartoons with Studio Gonzo, Bratz spin-off shows, and lots more of Mary-Kate And Ashley merchandise and cartoons because remember, 4Kids only cares about your wallet, not anime fans.

This is what I'd expect.

I think this venture will only backfire because 4kids has proven over and over they don't have a lick of competience between them. It will also make me mad because they'll end up butchering shows that I'd actually want to watch!

Imagine: Paranioa Agent dubed by 4Kids/Sight/Money?

ITS CHILLING!

fawhoooosh!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Do you ever get this impression of 4Kids being a blind, aging housedog that wanders sadly around the house, walking into everyone's crotch, completely unaware of its pitiful state but still convinced that it's the coolest dog in the neighborhood?

In any case, I wish the 4Sight line the best of luck, which in this case "best of luck" might be defined as "not being hated by everyone."
Lagamorph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Anime lends itself to a childrens market? I'd like to show some people at 4Kids a few anime series I've seen and then ask if they're aimed at the children's market.....

Personally I see this as a bad thing. The fewer licenses 4Kids get their hands on the better. Remember a while back they tried re-doing Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh, but they screwed up. Yes they re-did the scripts and even included the word "Damn" once or twice, but they undid all their efforts by leaving in their own names rather than the originals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4