• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Palladium in Trouble

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
It didn't work for Iron Cat studios, I don't think it'll work here. We'll see.
Raja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I had a couple of the Palladium ROBOTECH books, given to me by a friend who became frustrated by the overly-complex character creation mechanics. I no longer remember why, but I ended up feeling the same way. We played it one night, and then went back to AD&D.

By the way, weren't these the books that had the illustrations showing that the Veritech/Valkyrie cockpit was contained entirely in the head in Battloid mode? I seem to recall the picture of the pilot seated with hands on the controls, staring out the "window" eye area...
Iria51

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame really. I used to play Robotech when the RPG just came out and then later went to Rifts. Some of the most fun games I ever ran were from Robotech. I had no idea that Palladium was in such dire straits though. I imagine that they were not able to attract enough new players to their system after the first generation of players stopped playing.
Joseph Kerr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Iria51 wrote:
I imagine that they were not able to attract enough new players to their system after the first generation of players stopped playing.

From what i gathered, they're doing good with the players, it's been the bad buisness descisions such as the N-Gage and the embezzlement that's truthfully hurt them.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
Joseph Kerr wrote:
From what i gathered, they're doing good with the players, it's been the bad buisness descisions such as the N-Gage and the embezzlement that's truthfully hurt them.

What on Earth were they thinking, betting the company on the N-Gage? That console had "failure" written all over it from the moment it was announced.

------RM
Iria51

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
Joseph Kerr wrote:
Iria51 wrote:
I imagine that they were not able to attract enough new players to their system after the first generation of players stopped playing.

I had no idea that they were even involved with that failed company. The N-Guage isn't even what Palladium is about, I wonder why they even associated themselves with a product, that seemed to me, to be an obvious failure from the get go?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Joseph Kerr wrote:

What on Earth were they thinking, betting the company on the N-Gage? That console had "failure" written all over it from the moment it was announced.

------RM

Yes, company's take risks sometimes to venture into new markets. This risk was so great that failure meant the demise of the company. Not a good idea if you ask me. So I agree with you.

Only question I have is how much percentage wise, was due to embezzlement, and how much was due trying to break into this new and now failed market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dyuken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
I have worked for Palladium for quite sometime. The company has gone through the typical growth cycle of any company. In other words it has seen its ups and downs. But Palladium is NOT a company full of idiots. I happen to know first hand the "promises" that Nokia has made Palladium and FAILED to deliver.

I also know that certain other HIGH PROFILE entertainment companies have made promises to Palladium that they are CURRENTLY not coming through on.

Kevin has done nothing no other CEO of a company wouldn't do. He had some opportunies that were presented to him as great, and didn't pan out.

I continue to support him and will do whatever I can to help him throught his.
dyuken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I was just looking through come old posts and saw this an LAUGHED.
Palladium Books is doing better than ever. Im glad to say. So these concerns can be handily put to bed. LOL.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:
I was just looking through come old posts and saw this an LAUGHED.
Palladium Books is doing better than ever. Im glad to say. So these concerns can be handily put to bed. LOL.

You bumped a 6-year old news item just to post this? Way to go.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1