• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Eureka 7 a shounen anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
What, exactly, is your point? Are you saying that "Shounen" should be added to the genres in the Eureka 7 Encyclopedia entry?
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, because the blue section "where all the boy-oriented products are" at the Japanese bandai site has Eureka 7 (A.K.A. 交響詩篇エウレカセブン in Japan). So I thought it would be good if there was "shounen" on the Eureka 7 entry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:

Why haven't you submitted it then?

one3rd wrote:
What, exactly, is your point? Are you saying that "Shounen" should be added to the genres in the Eureka 7 Encyclopedia entry?

Either he couldn't fully understand Japanese, or he was not sure whether E7 could be listed as a shounen title. Ironically, 25 out of 30 entries he had submitted were "genre," and three of them were "shounen" already.

Riyousha, you haven't really broken any rule YET, but your poor English (I assume your location "America" as United States, so you have no excuse for writing in such a poor English), demanding attitude, and completely underestimating the comprehensiveness of the Encyclopedia (which had made yourself a laughing stick among us...I'll keep it secret for now) have annoyed many staff members. I just don't understand why can't you improve your communication skills.

Behave yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I understand I'm messing up. I don't know why. But I'm not really being rude to you guys.
patch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I understand I'm messing up. I don't know why. But I'm not really being rude to you guys.

I don't think you are being rude, to me it seems like you're genuinely trying to improve the site and the encylopedia accuracy. dormcat is very sensitive though, so don't mind him. Laughing
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:

Clearing one's past image is not easy. What you've said in that post has burned a mark in our memories like a piece of hot iron. The wound will heal and the scar will be shed off, but it takes time.

For your English issues: there are many ANN users who speak English as their second or even third language (myself included), as well as users who have innate and/or acquired speech/language disabilities. Seeing them trying their best to write proper English required in this forum, I found any healthy native English speaker not able to write properly (i.e. being lazy) unforgivable.

patch wrote:
I don't think you are being rude, to me it seems like you're genuinely trying to improve the site and the encylopedia accuracy.

There are three ways to improve the site and the Encyclopedia genuinely:

1. Submit what you know/find that the Encyc doesn't have yet, supported by reliable source(s).

2. Report what you know/find that the Encyc has listed it incorrectly, supported by reliable source(s).

3. For more subjective matters which are debatable, discuss them with your point of view, supported by reasonable opinions and examples from similar title(s).

Posting a submittable (and not quite debatable) item in this forum is not very constructive.

patch wrote:
dormcat is very sensitive though, so don't mind him. Laughing

You bet I am. It is mandatory for both my day job and as an Encyclopedist here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
What you've said in that post has burned a mark in our memories like a piece of hot iron. The wound will heal and the scar will be shed off, but it takes time.

I’ve been keeping quiet on this, because I have seen some of Riyousha's other offences, which cannot be explained away. But, as for the “don’t you dare” comment, really, a lot of people say that almost in jest these days. “Don’t you dare splash that water on me!” even if two people are in the middle of a splashing match. “Don’t you dare even say that you like vanilla better than chocolate!” is something that was actually said to me once. Obviously, this person was not actually threatening me, and I don’t think Riyousha was actually trying to threaten anyone either. It's a phrase a lot of people use in everyday conversation without thinking twice about it, often when talking about silly things. I really think he didn't mean it nearly as seriously as you took it.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
as for the “don’t you dare” comment [...] It's a phrase a lot of people use in everyday conversation without thinking twice about it, often when talking about silly things. I really think he didn't mean it nearly as seriously as you took it.

Indeed, a lot of people use it, when talking about something. That's the problem of interent discussions : you're not talking, your typing.
That is why somebody invented the emoticons. I hate to use them, but sometimes it's needed to explain the way you express yourself.
Don't you dare to delete my post Wink "sounds" a lot better than Don't you dare to delete my post Evil or Very Mad.
Personally, without any notice, it seems quite agressive to me.
EDIT (addition) : But in the end, the ANN staff should decide, taking into account of course his "rookie" status. Consider it "learning by doing" Wink

Last edited by woelfie on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I do certainly see what you’re saying, but it’s pretty obvious judging by all the mistakes he’s made over the last few weeks that he isn’t quite familiar with all the “ins and outs” of the internet, its etiquette, or conversation techniques yet. I just feel like a big deal is being made out of a small comment that was most likely not meant to be quite so offensive.

Also, and I know none of this is my call to make, but I just don’t like seeing a mistake or a bad choice of words being revisited over and over. I'm sure he's realized it was the wrong this to say at this point (although if that is indeed the case, I do think he should apologize. In fact, much of the staff's anger may be in part due to the fact that he doesn't seem all that sorry); no need to make him feel worse, especially in public. It almost feels like watching a teacher berate a student in front of me in a classroom. No matter how much he/she deserved it, I always wished the teacher would have spoken to that person in private.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes, On that other thread. I wasn't telling Staff members not to pt Loonatics onto the Encyclopedia. They already know that. I was talking to non-staff members not to put that show on the encyclopedia eventhough I'm not a staff member.

Reason why Loonatics is not anime and nor is it related: 3 words, Looney Tunes lookalikes. Hope none-staff members know that.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Yes, On that other thread. I wasn't telling Staff members not to pt Loonatics onto the Encyclopedia. They already know that. I was talking to non-staff members not to put that show on the encyclopedia eventhough I'm not a staff member.

Reason why Loonatics is not anime and nor is it related: 3 words, Looney Tunes lookalikes. Hope none-staff members know that.

I think what’s upsetting everyone is the way you say things. Frankly, it’s very bossy. This post you just made is a great example. You talk about non-staff members as if we somehow don't know as much as you do, and like you have access to some secret hidden knowledge that you are trying to get across to us all. We all know Loonatics isn't anime, and it really feels like you're talking down to us by stressing such an obvious fact, you know? We know. No one asked for such information, so why did you give it? We Know. If the staff wants us to know something, they’ll tell us, right? You don’t need to.

Also, you pursue minor little things like they are important. This thread is a good example of what I mean. I think it makes some people feel like you are trying to either demand something from them, or otherwise tell them what to do. You need to practice sounding a little more...gentle in the way you say things, otherwise, people are going to wind up offended.

And to top it all off, no one has heard a sincere apology from you yet. It’s like you don’t think it’s a big deal, and I think that only serves to further get on everyone’s nerves.

Really, I’m not trying to tell you what to do here, Riyousha. I’m just telling you why you’re not quite fitting in (because you don‘t seem to understand why), and maybe ways to fit in a little better (and not irritate people so much).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1