• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Vote change in B-8 from Tamaki to Marlene. Original vote post has been edited to reflect this. (Probably won't matter anyway given whom the winner of B-8 will face in B-16).
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Kenji Ichijouji, Digimon Adventures 2 vs.
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender

Voting for: Yuji

More of a vote against Kenji since he's the one I know, and the improvement he shows is narrow and insubstantial.

Group B-2
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread vs.
Megumi “Nodame” Noda, Nodame Cantabile

Voting for: Nodame

Nodame without a doubt. At the start of the series, she's a completely dysfunctional chaotic mess. Her odd aura infected her whole life including her musics. While still without her quirks, Nodame has made huge strides towards normalcy while still staying true to herself and her goals.

Group B-3
Hikaru Hitachiin, Ouran High School Host Club vs.
Rika Nonaka, Digimon Tamers

Voting for: Rika

Somewhat indifferent here. I only know Hikaru. Hikaru does show improvement while his growth in limited to a small part of the series, but its extremely limited and isn't that developed. The series spends to little effort focusing on improving and developing this character compared to other priorities it dedicates itself to.

Group B-4
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome vs.
Ichiko Sakura, Binbougami Ga!

Voting for: Ichiko

Group B-5
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM! vs.
Jun Sakurada, Rozen Maiden

Voting for: Ryouta

Two socially inept characters who honestly don't show a whole lot of growth.

Jun's tranformation from disgraced self pitying sycophant to a more balanced all round character is the more believable of the two improvements. I'm occasionally questioning if Ryouta's improvement are genuine when they seem at least a tad bit contrived.

Group B-6
Mari Wakatabe, Blue Drop vs.
Talho Yuki, Eureka 7

Voting for: Talho

Group B-7
Leina Vance, Queen’s Blade vs.
Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain

Voting for: Lain

Both feel somewhat weak. Having just because I can as the main motivating fact for Leina to change makes me want to side with Lain. Lain starts as a very undefined and generic character that slowly into someone who can make tough decisions and huge sacrifices.

Group B-8
Marlene Angel, Blue Gender vs.
Tamaki Kawazoe, Bamboo Blade

Voting for: Tamaki

Tamaki's eventual coping to come across a tragic loss of a parent is the deciding factor for her. This tragedy practically defines her character, and she is able to overcome it and escape from the paralysis and live a life with healthier overall outlook.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group B is now closed.

With 24 votes in (a not unusual drop-off, though we had a couple of regulars who didn’t make votes this round), the results:

B-1: Yuji Kaido guns down Kenji Ichijouji, 19-5.
B-2: Megumi “Nodame” Noda outplays Hibiki, 17-7.
B-3: Rika Nonaka edges Hikaru Hitachiin, 14-10.
B-4: Mashiro blan de Windbloom sics her Meister on poor Ichiko, 20-4.
B-5: Ryouta Sakamoto bombs Jun Sakurada, 18-6.
B-6: Talho Yuki outclasses Mari Wakatabe, 15-9.
B-7: Lain Iwakura slams down Leina Vance, 19-5.
B-8: Marlene Angel outduels Tamaki, 14-10.

B-3 and B-8 were back-and-forth matches for much of the round, with the respective winners really only pulling away at the very end. B-6 and B-2 were close early on but their respective winners starting pulling away about halfway through. The rest were never close. Overall, Blue Gender made a good showing, with both of its entrants surviving.

Next Group should be up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group C is now closed.

Results can be found here.

A new set of eight matches for you all! Eight of these contenders are going down, but which ones will they be?

Group C-1
Renton Thurston, Eureka 7
vs.
Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise

Group C-2
Rikuo Sakisaka, Time of Eve
vs.
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari

Group C-3
Yukari “Caroline” Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss
vs.
Yakumo Fuji, 3x3 Eyes

Group C-4
Luke Fon Fabre, Tales of the Abyss
vs.
Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17

Group C-5
Wabisuke Jinnouchi, Summer Wars
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Group C-6
Ryuki Shi, The Story of Saiunkoku
vs.
Watashi (unnamed protagonist), The Tatami Galaxy

Group C-7
Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach
vs.
Kiki, Kiki’s Delivery Service

Group C-8
Seras Victoria, Hellsing Ultimate
vs.
Julian Mintz, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Last edited by Key on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
I'm going to put my votes in a bit later but I want to give a little additional support for Luke Fon Fabre in match C-4. I'm trying to explain his character the best I can without giving spoilers.

To say he begins the series as a spoiled brat is quite a bit of an understatment. In the very begining of the series, the viewer can see that Luke has no goals or direction in his life. He just lounges around in his life of luxury and never takes action in asking the others around him why he is not allowed to leave his father's manor. He complains of being bored, but never makes any effort to alleviate said bordem. Because of a magical accident, he and another character, Tear, are basically warped into an enemy nation. The first part of the series covers Luke's travels to get his way back home with a small group that eventually forms. Luke acts extremely negatively during most of this journey and frequently complains about his own problems and how much this adventure is being hard on him. He doesn't consider the fact that other members of the group are also far from home and that they have all made many sacrifices for Luke's own sake. While this is certainly Luke's lowest point in the series, he still does show some improvement in this stage.

However, the aftermath of one devastating event/accident that was caused by Luke's own ignorance, naivete and overconfidence, makes Luke learn some harsh truths about what he thought he knew about himself and the world around him. At first he reacts with anger and refuses to take any of the blame, but after he has had the time to reflecton his actions and to look inside himself, he declares to another character that he will make himself a new better person. Just his admitance during this scene that he needs to change already shows a huge change in his character because the Luke at the begining would never dream of even implying that he had these enomorous faults. As the series progresses from here, the viewer can notice how both Luke's actions and attitude have changed. He apologizes more frequently, shows honest careness and consideration for those around him (even those whom he does not know very well) and puts in an effort to help solve the various disputes and problems that his world is faced with. He is forced to make some very tough decisions throughout the latter half of the series and does not approach them with the pure anger that he demonstrated earlier.
Luke's development occurs in tiny little steps, which is why it's so hard for me to sumarize in perfectly in a few paragraphs, but that's also why I believe that he is so perfect for this tournament. Over the course of the series, he progresses from spoiled brat to a pure-hearted, strong (in ability, heart, and mind) hero.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
vs.

Voting For: Renton

I never watched more than six episodes of InuYasha, and I dropped Eureka seveN too at thirty-five episodes in. I have no love for either franchise and the same can be said of the characters. However, I think Renton definitely showed some development, even if it was only due to being abused by Holland and Talho. Whether or not Sesshomaru is better I just do not know, as I never got far enough to see his backstory. Basically, this vote can be changed if a couple of people can put up good reasons for Sesshomaru.

Group C-2
vs.
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari

Voting For: Wakana Sakai

Her improvement was probably the best and most endearing part of Tari Tari. It was so sweet how she matured and learned to love music again, to the point where she spoiler[could finish the song her late mother had started to compose.] Plus she learned to open up to people her own age. Rikuo was - at the end - able to understand his gynoid, and he gained an appreciation of not judging people on just what they look like. But Wakana is simply a stronger candidate.

Group C-3
vs.
Yakumo Fuji, 3x3 Eyes

Voting For: Yakumo

This placeholder vote was based on the guides and is subject to change depending on the arguments people put forward.

Group C-4
vs.

Voting For: Tsubasa

I thought Tsubasa improved quite a bit in her determination. I haven't seen any of Tales of the Abyss, but if people put up convincing arguments for Luke then I'm open to changing my vote.

Group C-5
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Voting For: Ami

Much as it pains me to vote for anything Toradora! related, I just don't think that Wabisuke is all that strong a candidate.

Group C-6
vs.

Voting For: Watashi

I've watched the entire first season of The Story of Saiunkoku and while Ryuki Shi did improve somewhat it was kind of weak. I mean, many of his earlier bad behaviour were just part of his facade anyway. While he did eventually take a more active part in running the country, I actually don't think he himself personally improved. He just changed what he was doing. Whereas Watashi actually gains new insight about himself, learns the fundamental truth about happiness and changes his life around. Sure it took him a lot of tries, but then the same can be said of Bill Murray (Groundhog Day reference for you philistines out there).

Group C-7
Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach
vs.

Voting For: Kiki

Not even close. Byakuya barely improves at all (in fact, he actually got worse, judging by his boisterous spirit as a teen), whereas Kiki matures and learns to be confident. Sure, she had a lot of support, but that hardly matters in this matchup.

Group C-8
vs.

Voting For: Seras

I've only watched the first three episodes of Hellsing Ultimate, but I have watched all one-hundred-ten episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I can say with much confidence that Julian doesn't really change much. He doesn't really have a character arc; when we meet him he's already smart and socially competent. All he has to learn is how to be a leader, but it's not something that he struggles with for too long or too much. This is an anti-Julian vote rather than a pro-Seras vote.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
Oh dear, I'm less and less familiar with the characters with every passing group.

Group C-1
Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha

I haven't watched the entire Inuyasha series, but from what I saw I could easily tell how much Sesshoumaru improved as a person as a result of picking up Rin. It's a slow and very step-by-step change, but it was still noticeable how he changed from a cold and completely merciless demon to actually caring for Rin, which in turn little by little started to change his attitude toward his brother

Group C-2

Group C-3
Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss

Group C-4

Group C-5
Ami Kawashima, Toradora

Group C-6
Watashi, The Tatami Galaxy

Group C-7
Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach

I do believe Byakuya does a major improvement after his defeat in the Soul Society arc and telling the truth about his past and his wife to Rukia. Losing to Ichigo made him realize that he himself had been struggling against his own rules, and coming clean to Rukia about it improves their relationship, so much that he equals Rukia to his own pride, whereas in the past they barely communicated at all. Their relationship also improves in that he comes to trust Rukia a lot more and allows her to improve herself and get higher ranks, which he had been actively obstaculizing in the past so as to keep her away from danger.

Of course, he also comes to greatly respect and appreciate Ichigo for opening his eyes when he was about to make a big mistake. Byakuya becomes a very strong and valuable ally to Ichigo in most of the fights that follow the Soul Society arc, and develops a great trust in him, to the point that during the Lost Agent arc he's the one who reminds a worried and doubtful Rukia that she should trust in Ichigo

Group C-8
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
C1: Renton Thurston

C2: Rikuo Sakisaka. Rights of artifical life has been explored many times in science ficiton, but few times was it done as well as in Time of Eve. I really liked Rikuo's progression of growing to respect the robots in a society that did not.

C3: Yakumo Fuiji

C4: Luke Von Fabre. He started from nothing, being physically 7 ish I think years old and having to start from scratch as if a baby. By the time he was a teen, he was really immature, but you don't blame him when you find out why. He grows and matures very well, though, learning to be a better person.

C5: Wabisuke Jinnouchi

C6: Watashi

C7: Byakuya Kuichiki

C8: Julian Mintz. We literally get to see Julian grow up over the course of the show. He starts out as a young teen, and turns into a man. He goes through some tough times in the war, and after certain incidents great responsibilities are placed on him, which he accepts and manages very well. He starts off as a minor character, essentially only as Yang's kid, but starts to give advice and eventually becomes a very major player in the series.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
Guess I'll get my votes out of the way.

Match C-1: Renton Thurston (Eureka 7)
Bleh, another case where I find myself voting against one of my nominees. Renton's growth aboard the Gekkostate as he learned about their true goals and the reality of the world give him considerably more improvement in my eyes than Sessy learning to kill his prejudice against humans and others. Too bad regardless of who wins this match, they're gonna be up against a huge bulldozer next round.

Match C-2: Wakana Sakai (Tari Tari)

Match C-3: Yukari Hayasaka (Paradise Kiss)

Match C-4: Tsubasa Shiina (Figure 17)

Match C-5: Ami Kawashima (Toradora)

Match C-6: Shi Ryuki (Story of Saiunkoku)

Match C-7: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service)
Unlike Gaara when he got the old "shounen anime male lead lecture" routine from Naruto, I'm not too convinced with any change that comes to Byakuya's character as he still behaves no different from when he fought Ichigo in the Soul Society arc. Kiki's coming-of-age trials she experiences while living on her own make her a far stronger choice here.

Match C-8: Julian Mintz (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

To explain my reasoning, let me retort the opposition.

Quote:
I can say with much confidence that Julian doesn't really change much. He doesn't really have a character arc; when we meet him he's already smart and socially competent. All he has to learn is how to be a leader, but it's not something that he struggles with for too long or too much.

Julian might not have a character arc, per say. But that's only because of LoGH's heavy focus on the war between the Free Planets Alliance and Galactic Empire. The young man starts out being under Yang's wing yet wanted to take a more active involvement in the war between Alliance and Empire where he became a soldier on the front lines (instead of a desk job/ leadership position that Yang worked with for most of his military duties) and got a close-up understanding of the difficulties of war when spoiler[the Empire took control over Phezzan and encountered the corruption and hypocrisy of the Terraism cult,] The teachings he gained under Yang, combined with the experiences he had first hand within enemy-occupied territories, allowed Julian to become a competent leader later in the series that friend and foe would recognize as being a strong individual instead of someone being within Yang's shadow, especially with a later battle where Julian's planning and tenacity led Empire leader Reinhard von Lohengramm to acknowledge him as a worthy adversary.

I believe the growth from follower to leader is more considerable than one coming to terms with unique circumstances.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
I wasn't expecting to vote for Sesshoumaru, but Renton's description just doesn't make him sound all that compelling. In comparison, Sesshoumaru did actually change quite a lot. He starts off cold, aloof, and cruel, at one point killing off an entire army just because they were standing in his way. He is also incredibly proud, unable to connect with anyone else because he considers himself so far above them. However, this changes when he meets a little girl named Rin. She saves his life, and in turn he saves hers. He doesn't quite understand it, but she insists on following him after that point, and his connection to this little human girl serves to humble him, if only a little. This fundamental change in his attitude indirectly leads him to later swallow his pride and align himself with his brother to destroy Naraku once and for all.

Group C-2
I haven't finished either series (although I really need to), but based on the descriptions, Rikuo's change in ideals seems more interesting than Wakana's renewed passion.

Group C-3
Okay, this one isn't even a contest. The entire series revolves around Yukari's coming of age, after all! She starts out detached, unhappy, and lacking any sort of motivation in her life. Every goal she has was forced upon her by her strict parents. All she knows how to do is work herself to the bone studying for a test she doesn't really care about. When she is scouted by a group of fashion students calling themselves Paradise Kiss, she refuses outright, essentially telling them to give up on their passion and get real jobs. However, after some coaxing from the suave and enigmatic George, she finds herself accepting their offer, and is swept away into a whole new world of art, fashion, and sex. She starts dating George and eventually decides that she wants to be a professional model. At first, she rebels against her mother because she's sick of being told what to do, even running away for a time. However, she realizes that this is just as immature as blindly following her parents' orders, and ends up apologizing to her mother and openly expressing her desire to become a professional model to her. She puts forth a lot of effort into being successful in the career path she's chosen, and in the end chooses her career over what has become a somewhat unhealthy relationship. It's a very realistic and relatable progression, and Yukari goes from being fairly unlikeable to a very mature, driven, and intelligent young woman.

Group C-4
While rosebrook11 does make a compelling case for Luke, the description for Tsubasa's improvement hits really close to home for me, so I have to go with her.

Group C-5
I don't know that he's the strongest candidate, but I haven't seen Toradora yet, and the description for Ami doesn't make her seem that interesting to me. I did find Wabisuke's change of heart after Sakae's death to be very touching and well-executed, and I may have shed a tear or two the first time I saw his reaction to her passing.

Group C-6
I liked watching him fall for Shuurei and realize after time that he needs to allow her to follow her dreams. I like how Shuurei brings out the best in him, helping him to get over his stupid insecurities and be the emperor he was always meant to be.

Group C-7
I kinda like Byakuya, but yeah, this isn't even a contest. It's great to watch Kiki grow into her own. Who cares if she had a lot of support? That's true of a lot of the frontrunners in this tournament. Sometimes people suck, but sometimes they help to bring out the best in others, and for this tournament, that can count for a lot. Smile

Group C-8
Haven't seen either series, but Julian Mintz seems like the more interesting character. I like seeing good leaders learn to live up to their potential. Smile
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
I think if it wasn't for those last 2 vote switches Marlene and Tamaki would have ended up tied. Could have been interesting.

Group C-1
vs.
Voting for Sesshomaru. Seen a big chunk of Inuyasha and all of Eureka7. There are many characters that change in E7, but I think Eureka has the most change and Renton? My feelings were that Renton never really grows up that much, he whines, blames Eureka for things, hurts her feelings, cries and then apologizes a few times too often, imho.

Group C-2
vs.
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari
Voting for Rikuo Sakisaka. I love Time of Eve, but I never felt the characters changed or improved that significantly. So, I'm giving it my conditional vote because I only saw 1 episode of Tari Tari and I'm willing to have my mind changed on this one.

Group C-3
vs.
Yakumo Fuji, 3x3 Eyes
Voting for Yukari Caroline Hayasaka. Caroline goes thru many changes and experiences significant growth in this under appreciated series. She learns that running away doesn't solve her problems, she experiences new things, she becomes invested in her future by spoiler[returning to school and studying for college as a backup to modelling] when she had little ambition or drive previously, she learns about herself, matures, does not become an appendage to some man and comes into her own as a woman.

Group C-4
vs.
Voting for Tsubasa Shiina. I only saw part of Tales of the Abyss, I found Luke annoying and then they introduced some little creature/pet that I found really annoying and I dropped the series. I haven't seen Figure 17, but I like the description. So right now its a vote against Luke unless someone comes up with a compelling reason for me to change it.

Group C-5
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
Voting for Ami Kawashima. I've seen both, but they both feel marginal to me. I feel Ami is stronger because she has a whole series to grow and Wabisuke is a little more limited with screen time.

Group C-6
vs.
Voting for Watashi. I haven't seen either, but I've been wanting to see Tatami Galaxy it seems like my kind of show. I'm open to changing my vote on this one too.

Group C-7
Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach
vs.
Voting for Kiki. I think I originally saw Kiki's delivery service on VHS can't remember, but its been that long. Byakuya does change somewhat but it wasn't earth shattering to me unless something recent has happened on Bleach's millionth episode (I don't keep up with it anymore).

Group C-8
vs.
Voting for Seras Victoria. Seras starts off as a bit of a shy girl fearing her transformation and worries that she will lose her humanity. For this reason she hesitates to use her abilities and drink blood which limits her powers. As the series moves along she gains confidence and embraces not only her vampiric powers, but also that aspect of being human--love--thereby becoming incredibly powerful. She accepts herself and her powers. Unlike Alucard she has not spoiler[drank the blood of a million people making them all his familiars inside him.] Instead after 30 years she has spoiler[ only one person--one man--residing in her as her familiar and partner]. It is because of this that Seras overcomes her fears and gains power, but manages not to become an abomination like the major or a monster like Alucard.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
Group C-1

Group C-2
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari

There was only one character in Time of Eve that was ever compelling for me and that was Nameless. The rest of them were a bland bunch that definitely won't be getting my support at any point in this tournament.

Group C-3

Another character who was on the verge of a bye for good reasons, most of which have already been mentioned by others. Yukari at the beginning is completely without any drive of her own but by the end she knows what she wants to do and does what she needs to in order to make her own dreams reality.

Group C-4

Group C-5
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

I remember Ami sounding interesting in the Best Supporting tournament and if she is strong enough to get even dtm to vote for her (or the competition weak enough), that's good enough for me.

Group C-6

Group C-7

Group C-8
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1
vs.

Renton Thurston

I don't remember Sesshomaru to be a well-developed character. Takahashi has this annoying habit of making her stories go for too long and as a result the relationships/character development are either going on in a vicious circle or coming to a standstill. It's enough to make me vote for Renton now.

Group C-2
vs.
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari

Rikuo Sakisaka

Group C-3
vs.
Yakumo Fuji, 3x3 Eyes

Yukari “Caroline” Hayasaka

Group C-4
vs.

Luke Fon Fabre

Group C-5
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Ami Kawashima

Group C-6
vs.

Ryuki Shi

Group C-7
Byakuya Kuchiki, Bleach
vs.

Kiki

Group C-8
vs.

Julian Mintz
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1

Reason: Sesshomaru does not progress that much as a character through all of Inu Yasha. I know people want to loom down on Inu Yasha himself but if you look at him from episode 1 and then at the end (including movies) he is FAR different a person. He grows a sizeable amount and progresses a lot as a character. His brother here does not. Oh sure he does progress some I'll grant that but his progression PALES in comparison to Renton. I think Eureka herself grows more than Renton but in this match up Renton should win easily. He goes from a whiny crybaby really to someone who will fight for Eureka and stands up for what he believes in. yes he can be annoying at times but in the context of this tournament he should beat Sesshomaru hands down. His progression as an individual is 5x that of Sesshomaru.

Group C-2
Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari

Reason: Based on arguments/descriptions my opinion is close on this. So far Wakana has it for me but I'll keep my eyes open for more arguments.

Group C-3

Reason: Not as familiar with Yakumo as opposed to Yukari but Yukari's progression and growth is pretty substantial in it's own right. I don't see any reason so far to vote against her. She grows and learns to live life and not be so....blah. She starts with no real drive or ambition and really grows and learns to reach for her goals. Again, not that familiar with Yakumo but there would have to be some damn good arguments for me to contemplate changing my vote here.

Group C-4

Reason: Between the 2 Tsubasa just has the more complete overall growth I think. A close one but I think Tsubasa should edge this out at least.

Group C-5
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

Reason: Was not a huge fan of Toradora but I have to be honest here, Ami grows A LOT as a character. Another case I think where you need to put aside any "annoying" habits or character traits, or annoying bits from the show itself, and focus on the character and their growth solely. In my mind if you do that Ami should hands down move on to the next round. Wabisuke does progress as a character but Ami just progresses even more by far. Yes when she's herself she can be a real bitch but again, the focus is progression. Not if their likeable heh.

Group C-6

Reason: I think rheiders said it best, Ryuki goes from being insecure to someone who is very competent. Shuurei does bring out the best in him and helps him realize the kind of person he needs to be. He's a lot like Mashiro from the last round in that they grow and learn to be better rulers for their people.

Group C-7

Reason: I'm sorry but Byakuya just does not seem to grow much at all in my mind, Sure maybe he grows some and becomes more accepting towards Ichigo and Rukia when his past comes out. But overall as a character he does not progress or change that much. Not compared to say Ichigo himself or even Renji. Renji grows much more than his dear captain. Kiki I don't think is a strong contender herself but her progression is more so than Byakuya. Might change my mind but doubtful.

Group C-8

Reason: Seras needs to win this period. Forget the tv show and focus on Hellsing Ultimate. People REALLY need to watch the new episodes that just got released too. If you do you'll see just how much Seras grows. She goes from basically depending on Alucard to being a real badass in her own right. She learns to fight and accept who she is and not give up. She learns to accept her vampiric nature but does not give up her humanity. She also becomes a rather capable leader in her right as well. She deserves to go pretty far I think and it would be a travesty is she did not even make it past round 1.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Minigame results.

We're down from three leaders to two this round, and Key managed to get all 8 matches right last round.

Predictions from matches B-4 and B-5 made me think they were going to be much closer than they turned out, B-4 in particular. B-8 was one of only two match-ups in the first round out of all four brackets that was an even split in the minigame picks, and that was pretty accurately reflected in the voting, actually.

Edit: fixed link

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 76