• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Adds Satoshi Kon's Kaikisen Manga, Sickness Unto Death

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
A Satoshi Kon manga?!?

Hot damn and hallelujah!

I'm not quite sure what to make of the premise, but I can imagine it carrying the thoughtfully surreal, imaginative and oddball as well as sometimes haunting qualities that I so admire in Satoshi Kon's work. I figured that they had something very noteworthy from Vertical Ed's cryptic hinting, but... damn! He must be in the fiendish plot of the RAND Corporation in conjunction with the saucer people under the supervision of the reverse vampires to destroy my bank account.

Do want! DO WANT!

I'm sure that Sickness Unto Death is fine, but it's hard to give it due consideration when in appears after SATOSHI KON MANGA.

Hee hee hee
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
ah a satoshi kon manga, i was gutted when he died and fuming when i expressed my grief on facebook and got a bunch of piss taker "lol who" replies (had a nice day blocking extended family).

will set some dosh aside for it. will look into the other series too
OniTasku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly just happy to see a day where a company (especially Vertical) can license a Satoshi Kon manga.

Not familiar with the other license, though it's seinen, Vertical is publishing it, and the premise is up my alley. If you're the kind of fan that asks for more seinen, these are the licenses you need to support.

Thank you based Vertical.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Is it sad that for a brief moment I was excited because I thought maybe there was a biographical manga about Søren Kierkegaard?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you know I'm excited about the Kon manga! I want everything he published in his short and awesome life to be available all over the world. Thank you Vertical!
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Sickness Unto Death? Take my money, please! I've wanted to read that for years!

Also, I've never seen a single one of this Satoshi dude's works. Everyone around here gushes over him, but every time a read the promo of one of titles, it sounds like utter boredom. Like this manga just licensed. Sounds like a snooze-fest. Whatever. Y'all can keep your boring elitist entertainment, I'll stick with the story that name-drops obscure Danish theologians.

Bonus quote, from the original Sickness Unto Death
And when the hourglass has run out, the hourglass of temporality, when the noise of secular life has grown silent and its restless or ineffectual activism has come to an end, when everything around you is still, as it is in eternity, then eternity asks you and every individual in these millions and millions about only one thing: whether you have lived in despair or not.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Kon is actually hella exciting-- frequently funny and scary and thoughtful. I think you'd like him if you gave him a chance! :>
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Kon is actually hella exciting-- frequently funny and scary and thoughtful. I think you'd like him if you gave him a chance! :>
I think he is being sarcastic.
zeta kira

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Seinen + Kon + 90's stuff = Sign me up!!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited for this Satoshi Kon work! It sounds amazing.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon manga!? I'm there!
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon! AHHH!!! My goodness that is an instant buy. There is no way I will not own it. I must make it mine. Pre-order when? Advance copies where?

I'll check out Sickness Unto Death in time. It certainly chose an interesting reference. Ah, but I can't stop feeling happy over more Satoshi Kon.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This is excellent news. I didn't know that Satoshi Kon had done a manga piece. Thank you Vertical for getting on this. Definitely a major recommendation.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh I've read Sickness Unto Death before and it seemed alright. I also liked some Satoshi Kon's other works and found it enjoyable.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see for myself just what kind of an influence Katsuhiro Otomo had on Satoshi Kon's manga works.

Thank you VERTICAL!

If you are ever able to publish his other stuff "Waira" and "World Apartment Horror" I'll be buying those as well.

now if someone would just announce anything about the fate of Yume-Mira Kikai...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2