• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime Projects That Never Took Off

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Interesting list, though I don't recognize any of them. It reminds of that Angel Scandies project Artland was planning to do but that seems to have vanished along with Artland mostly having faded out of existance after Reborn! ended. Well I still occasionally see them in production credits for shows so their still around I guess.

For the harem poll I went with the childhood friend if only because I pity how little of the time she actually wins.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

For the harem poll I went with the childhood friend if only because I pity how little of the time she actually wins.

I went with the same. Usually I much prefer the childhood friend character anyways, even though as soon as she utters the words "childhood friend" you can almost always cross her off the list of who's gonna end up with the protagonist. On the other hand, it does make me appreciate those rare anime where the childhood friend "wins".
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
t.A.T.u.. yikes I do remember them. My friends sister use to be a big fan when they were new. That would have been very strange if their anime ever got picked up.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I remember when that t.A.T.u. anime movie got announce; it felt surreal. If that ever went through as planned, I'd imagine that'll be the most lesbian anime movie since the Utena movie. Anime hyper
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
"Lupin VIII" and "Gatchaman" are definitely the ones I wish got off the ground. I even went to see "Astro Boy" in theaters just to give Imagi some support; lot of good that did. Rolling Eyes
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I like the poll this week. went with keeping everyone's attention.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Am I horrible for still wanting that t.a.t.u. anime, cause I think it would have been awesome for a laugh.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I remember being excited for the t.A.T.u movie because Shinichiro Watanabe was attached to it in some way... though I can't remember how.

Reading what I just did about it though... squick. Their manager sounds like the Russian Lou Pearlman.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
You should have put Despera on the list since that thing had big chances of being great anime.I wonder if we will ever see Ryutaro Nakamura direct anything again.
There was also that Lupin 3 anime that Mamoru Oshii was suppose to direct.I mean just God,look at concept art of that.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Nice list, and I have heard of most of them. It would be awesome if, one day, those episodes of Lupin VIII became available. And, yeah, I remember t.A.T.u... Though "All the Things She Said" was a good song.

If only to add to this list, though, I can name another anime that never happened that isn't as well-known, if only because it wasn't public knowledge In Japan until years after it never happened. In 1992 Group TAC was planning on doing a TV anime adaptation of the Shonen Jump baseball manga Astro Kyudan, which originally ran from 1972-1976. It was an early example of the over-the-top style that would take over shonen manga from the 80s on (it's so over-the-top that it might still be unrivaled in sports manga), but Group TAC was never able to get funding for it to be made, because a lack of baseball anime running at the time made all TV stations hesitant to support it, and a dying OVA market kept it from being made for home video.

In 1999 Ohta Publishing, who republished the original 20-volume manga in 5 gigantic omnibuses, released a book called "Astro Kyudan Memorial", which featured the first public reveal of TAC's original anime proposal & even a couple of prototype illustrations that showed what the anime would have looked like. In 2005 the manga got adapted into a live-action J-Drama/tokusatsu TV series, which featured an partially-animated opening sequence by Production I.G.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The project cancellation that I'm the most sad about was Satoshi Kon's Dream Machine.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
You should have put Despera on the list since that thing had big chances of being great anime.I wonder if we will ever see Ryutaro Nakamura direct anything again.

Yup, I was quite surprised to see Despera not included (and The Dream Machine for that matter)
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for my Rose of Versailles movie remake to finally either move forward or have an official cancellation announcements. And of course there's still the longing for Satoshi Kon's final movie to have some sort of resolution.

As for the harem, quiet bookworm would be my choice.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there was not an option for the poll, "become king of demon/gods or whatever and marry them all". I would have picked that. Does anyone remember the Rodney Dangerfield movie "My 5 wives"? Now that would be awesome if It was made into an anime Laughing
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
For a second I had no idea who t.A.t.u were, but then (after a quick Google) I remember hearing this song.

A few more dead projects:
Tonari no 801-chan- It has a 90 second music video, produced by A-1 Pictures, and a Live-Action film adaption that headed straight to DVD.

The Five Killers-Another doomed Studio GONZO anime that was created by American writer Eric Calderon. Here's the trailer and some more info.

Aoki Uru-This was supposed to be a sequel to Studio Gainax Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise but that was back in the 1980's so obviously it's never going to happen. There was a CD released that ANN reported...in 1998. >___>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7