• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: June Manga Launches

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeponsama

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Soooo... ADV has time to start a new manga series, "A Little Snow Fairy Sugar" at that, yet they can't be bothered to put out another volume of Yotsuba. It's been seven months now.

Anybody know anything about this?
barbapapa

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Takeponsama wrote:
Soooo... ADV has time to start a new manga series, "A Little Snow Fairy Sugar" at that, yet they can't be bothered to put out another volume of Yotsuba. It's been seven months now.

Anybody know anything about this?

The wait for Yotsuba is getting pretty annoying yes. Especially when you look at Viz who are getting back on track with Vagabond almost immediately in comparison, with volumes 21-24 even listed on amazon.com for release this year, when 24 isnt even released in Japan yet. Shocked

And I'm surprised to see Yakitate and Zombie Powder on the July/August shipping list, when they were supposed to be released in September. I hope they do ship in august already tho. ^^
aluria

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
oooo, Emma got licensed! I loved the anime Victorian Romance Emma and will definitely consider buying the manga.

As for ADV Films. what do you expect? IT was over a year inbetween the volumes of Gunslinger Girl and many series they seem to just drop for longer. I'm always weery of buying manga from them since I never know if they'll acutally finish the series or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
barbapapa

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
As for ADV Films. what do you expect?

I'd expect they keep releasing their best-selling manga. Even if it's ADV.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Yotsuba was only released twice a Year in Japan. Only one came out in 2005.

source: http://home.nc.rr.com/momotato/yotsubato.html

So.. um.. what's your complaint? Yeah, all they need is translation and touch up, but there are release schedules for a reason. Plus what about people who are already buying enough manga a year.

Please, think outside your "Gimme my manga right now, stupid ADV!" mentality. There are other people in this world besides yourself. Try thinking of them for once.

Is ADV releasing stuff as well as Dark Horse or Tokyopop or Viz? Maybe not. Yet atleast they're not sneaking in US made stuff as manga or editing stuff for a whole new younger audeience like CMX did with Tenjo Tenge.
teferi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
That's being a bit too forgiving, there really isn't an excuse for not having volume four out by now. It's been half a year since the english release of volume three and seven months since the japanese release of volume four. They'd have to have a pretty messed up reason for not releasing it. I mean saying that we should appreciate that they're releasing it is good and all but it's still a company dependent on the fans so they should be thinking that regard.

Quote:
And I'm surprised to see Yakitate and Zombie Powder on the July/August shipping list, when they were supposed to be released in September. I hope they do ship in august already tho. ^^

me too Very Happy

I never thoguht there would be an english release of Zombie Powder...and if it gets here faster I'm all for it.
Umbra_JigokuOni

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
I am also looking forward to Zombie Powder. I've already read it, but still want to buy it. Very Happy

As for release issues with ADV. I don't know if anyone is reading it but I have been wait a year and a half - two years for the next volume of Kagerou-Nostalgia. As far as I know, there are only two volumes, come on now... Rolling Eyes I understand that ADV certainly has a lot on their plate. And while I am glad that there is another company releasing manga, maybe ADV should finish up with the series that they have started and then stop all together. It just seems that with all the anime projects they have, why would they want to pile on more with manga. Kagerou-Nestalgia is the only ADV title that I own, so I don't know how well they are doing with their other releases. So maybe my view is a bit skewed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I guess I'll buy the Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar manga, and look forward to completing it in 2008 or so...

I noticed Suzuka got moved up (I thought it started in August)...seems like a possible purchase, as I enjoyed the anime well enough. (Semi-serious/semi-comedic school/sports romance/drama, enough slashes for you? Suffers from "dumb male lead" syndrome.) The only problem is that the manga is still ongoing, beyond the end of the anime, and it's sort of my manga buying rule not to start anything unless I know how long it is.
InsaneLampshade

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote
Maybe we should start sending ADV Manga human bones to complain about their lack of finishing anything they release. >_>
Delphina

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
Well, it took a year, but ADV finally released the last volume of Full Metal Panic recently... and they're one away from finishing Chrono Crusade, which is downright agnozing, especially considering the hype they had behind it at Pacific Media Expo '04.

I'm among the crowd that's afraid to start getting interested in anything new with them because of how slow they've gotten. They never used to be like this. -_-

Last edited by Delphina on Fri May 19, 2006 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
So.. um.. what's your complaint? Yeah, all they need is translation and touch up, but there are release schedules for a reason. Plus what about people who are already buying enough manga a year.

Please, think outside your "Gimme my manga right now, stupid ADV!" mentality. There are other people in this world besides yourself. Try thinking of them for once.

Okay . . . so then what is your rational for the reason they haven't released the rest of "Gate" by Hirotaka Kisaragi (yes I know Biblos went bankrupt)? Or the two titles by Sakura Kinoshita "Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok" and "Tactics"? Or "Your and My Secret? Or that they haven't responded to a single one of my e-mails in two years? ADV is either very random or they might have organizational issues, I can only guess at their marketing strategy. It's just odd that they haven't updated their manga portion of their website since September of 2004 . . .

I think Takeponsama has a legitimate concern.
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
aluria wrote:
As for ADV Films. what do you expect?

I'd expect they keep releasing their best-selling manga. Even if it's ADV.

see! i told you that would happen at one point didn't i ?
AntoJ

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow I had no idea ADV took this long with all their series. I only bought two series from them: Azumanga Daioh, and it was all translated by the time I got it. . and then Gunslinger Girl. I have volumes 1-3 but it's taking them forever to release volume 4. . I dont even know how long ago it was I got volume 3.. maybe a year or so. . . and I know in Japan the manga is onto volume 6.... Slightly disappointing. ):
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
At this point, Gunslinger Girl is 'on hold' along with most of their manga. About the only ones coming out right now are Chrono Crusade, Anne Freaks, Evangelion: Angelic Days, Yotsuba& and Cromartie High School.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
Okay . . . so then what is your rational for the reason they haven't released the rest of "Your and My Secret?

I thought I had heard that they were going to mirror the Japanese release schedule for this one, and according to ANN's Encyclopedia, there was a 15 month delay between volumes. Confused

As for Viz, I'm looking forward to Yakitate Japan... although I am mildly worried about the length of an ongoing series already at 20+ volumes... I try to get shorter series, but I keep looking at the longer ones. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1