• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I knew that would be the counter argument. However all the other persocoms I remember from the show had their own personalities, so again it's Chi regaining what she should have had in the first place.

Besides, creating something new is easy. Modifying something pre-existing is far more difficult.

Being a blank slate there were no challenges to her change. She would have changed regardless of the situation she found herself in. Piccolo was born to be evil, but he overcame that.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia, you forgot to vote in A-10's match-up, just a heads up.

Vaisaga wrote:
No, they forgot to vote in A-9's, though it's clear they meant to vote for Ayaka.

Oops, thanks for the catch.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh God, do I have time?

Group A-9
Fakir, Princess Tutu
Everyone has pretty much said what I've already wanted to say.

Group A-10
Piccolo Jr.,, Dragonball franchise
The arguments for Piccolo have convinced me.

Group A-11
Sawako Kuronuma, Kimi ni Todoke – From Me to You

Group A-12
Gaara, Naruto franchise
This one was tough, but I think I'll give the edge to Gaara.

Group A-13
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances
Even just what I've seen in the first 5 episodes has convinced me.

Group A-14
Taichi Mashima, Chihiyafuru
His growth is one of the most engaging parts of the series.

Group A-15
Daikichi Kawachi, Bunny Drop
This is one of the more unique ones, so I'll have to give the vote to Daikichi.

Group A-16
Clare, Claymore

EDIT: It was kind of a last minute "OHSNAP GET VOTES IN QUICK" so I didn't really think too much over some of the closer contenders I had a hard time choosing from. But looking back I'm happy to see Eva advance, enough that I freaked out for a second that my vote for Gaara shut her out. But it looks like she's still safe. Since it's past midnight I'm not gonna change my vote... but I'm relieved to see she's advanced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Round 2 Group A is now closed.

With 21 votes in, the results:

A-9: Fakir dances around Ayaka Steiger, 19-2.
A-10: Piccolo Jr. blasts Chi with his Namekian power, 14-7.
A-11: Sawako wipes out Eureka, 15-6.
A-12: Eva Heinemann fends off a fiesty Gaara, 11-10.
A-13: Yukino Miyazawa returns Haruka Suzumiya to a coma, 15-6.
A-14: Taichi Mashima outplays Hiei, 15-6.
A-15: Daikichi Kawachi does the daddy routine better than Jean Valjean, 16-5.
A-16: Clare overwhelms Satou with conspiracies, 13-8.

Vote total was down a bit this round; is that cause for concern, or did certain people just forget or opt not to vote this time? We'll see if this is a trend or not. As far as matches go, Eva had a sizable lead in A-12 at one point (8-3), but it tightened up a lot later on and momentum seemed to be swinging the other way; he just ran out of time to catch up. A-16 was close until very late and A-10 was tied as recently as 6-6, but in both cases the leader pulled away at the end. The rest of the matches were never close. I think it's significant that Fakir had the biggest win of the week despite several acknowledging that his opponent was far from a push-over. And how did the fact escape everyone's mention that A-15 featured two opponents who were both more mature guys raising 6-year-old girls who had had their one present parent die and had no one else to take them in? I didn't plan it that way and didn't even realize that coincidence myself until just now. Sheesh.

Anyway, next Group should be up very soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
my best round yet. only two wrong
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Think I had a perfect round, but I also feel fairly confident that I wasn't the only one who did.

Anyway, onto the next Group posting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Only missed one. Was quite surprised at how close Match A-12 was as I thought Eva would have breezed through Gaara. Shocked

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And how did the fact escape everyone's mention that A-15 featured two opponents who were both more mature guys raising 6-year-old girls who had had their one present parent die and had no one else to take them in? I didn't plan it that way and didn't even realize that coincidence myself until just now. Sheesh.

I noticed and mentioned it, albeit briefly.

I only missed A-16 for the minigame, which is better than I was anticipating at one point. I am, however, concerned that Clare may cause me trouble in the future.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Ooooow, this is gonna hurt my minigame. Although I got 7 out of 8 correct, that one that I predicted incorrectly I expected to go far. Very far. Welp, maybe I can still make it to 5th or 6th.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Round 2 Group B is now closed.

Results can be found here.

So here’s our second batch of matches introducing seeds into the mix. Last Group saw a 7/8 survival rate for the seeds, with the one that lost being one that was just on the high side of the bye cut line losing to a candidate that was just on the low side of the bye cut line – in other words, about as big an upset as a #9 seed beating a #8 seed in a 64-team tournament bracket. Will any seeds go down this time? Let’s see!

Group B-9
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender

Group B-10
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto franchise
vs.
Megumi “Nodame” Noda, Nodame Cantabile

Group B-11
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
vs.
Rika Nonaka, Digimon Tamers

Group B-12
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome
vs.
Masanosuke Akitsu, House of Five Leaves

Group B-13
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM!
vs.
Ringo Oginome, Penguindrum

Group B-14
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
vs.
Talho Yuki, Eureka 7

Group B-15
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora!
vs.
Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain

Group B-16
Marlene Angel, Blue Gender
vs.
Shoukei, The Twelve Kingdoms

Last edited by Key on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
Minigame results. I wanted to get the score comparison page up before posting this round, but I'm running into technical difficulties and it may take a while to figure out, plus I've got plans for tomorrow evening, so I'm just making the normal stuff available and I might update the file later in the week if I work it out.

Key wrote:
Think I had a perfect round, but I also feel fairly confident that I wasn't the only one who did.

Anyway, onto the next Group posting!

Actually, no, you were. Most people got 1 wrong. Only 5 people picked Clare to win A-16 (6 counting me); very few people picked non-seeds for any match. I missed on Hiei vs Taichi. The most popular miss for those who picked Clare was Gaara. ...You picked Gaara. You didn't get a perfect score this round. No one got a perfect score this round. I'm disappointed in all of you. (Nah, just kidding, this is the best second round we've ever had, although given the seeds, it ought to be).

So, aside from Fakir, all of the seeds were pretty heavily overrated based on the minigame. Eva and Satou were the weakest of the seeds, and that is kind of reflected in the results, with Eva just barely winning, and Satou falling to Clare, although he was at least the second closest win margin. Both still had expected percentages in the 70s.

In light of this, it looks like several of the seeds could go down before the third round.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
I claim dibs on voting first. Razz

Match B-9: Chihiro (Spirited Away)

Match B-10: Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto franchise)

Match B-11: Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat)

Match B-12: Mashiro blan de Windbloom (My-Otome)
I had a chance to plow through My-Otome in my collection a few weeks ago. Given what I seen of Mashiro's improvements from a self-absorbed brat to a responsible ruler who rose to spoiler[reclaim her throne from Nagi's control], I think her improvement was more significant than Akitsu getting over his timid personality.

Match B-13: Ryouta Sakamoto (Btooom!)

Match B-14: Talho Yuki (Eureka 7)

Match B-15: Taiga Aisaka (Toradora)
While I'm not a big Toradora fan, I'm willing to at least admit Taiga's character did improve significantly compared to Lain's, coming quite a ways from her aloof and troublemaking persona to learning to open up to others and come to terms with her complicated family situation.

I can't really picture myself voting for Lain here since the changes in her character seemed to stem more from the abilities and personas she gained towards later episodes of the series than personal improvements of her own, especially since she had no control over the actions of her more sinister personality. The series is more about exploring the truth of Lain's origins and man's increasingly close relationship to technology in the near-future than focus on Lain's developments.

Match B-16: Shoukei (Twelve Kingdoms)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Pairings where I’ve seen:
both = 1
one = 6
neither = 2

Thus I’ll give my considered reasons in the instance where I’ve seen both and my uninformed (and prejudiced) opinion where I’ve seen neither.

Group B-9
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender

Chihiro, Spirited Away

Group B-10
Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto franchise
vs.

Group B-11
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
vs.
Rika Nonaka, Digimon Tamers

Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!. I’ve only seen the first episode of Skip Beat and I thought that her transformation was significant just in that episode alone. With the write-up suggesting she improves even further then that is enough to overcome the case made in the write-up for her adversary.

Group B-12
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome
vs.

Group B-13
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM!
vs.

Group B-14
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
vs.
Talho Yuki, Eureka 7

Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I haven’t seen Brotherhood but I thought that Scar was one of the more interesting characters in FMA. If the Brotherhood version is so much better that he’s nominated ahead of the original, then that’s enough to get my vote.

Group B-15
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora!
vs.
Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain

Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain. Here I am, after spruiking Taiga in this tournament and elsewhere, voting against her first up. Apart from being up against a superior adversary, it’s my own words that have caused me to reconsider how worthy Taiga is. When arguing against Naota from FLCL I said that there was nothing special about growing up, as everyone has to do it sooner or later. In Toradora! Taiga’s improvement is due to her growing out of her earlier juvenile behaviour. For sure, it’s very well done, especially in the final two episodes (a raspberry to Vaisaga!) but it isn’t all that profound.

Lain’s growth is far more substantial and noteworthy. It’s not just the growth in her personality or the growth in her awareness, but it’s also in her moral growth, which leads to her decision to sacrifice pretty well everything for the sake of others. In each of these areas Lain grows because she chooses to, partly from a desire to understand the contradictions in her circumstances, partly from curiosity, partly from anger and, eventually, when she learns the truth, from a conviction that “god’s” motives are warped.

Group B-16
Marlene Angel, Blue Gender
vs.

st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
Group B-9: Voting for Chihiro I've not seen Blue Gender, but based on the write ups alone, Chihiro's improvement seems much greater.

Group B-10: Voting for Nodame I find Naruto to still be an annoying whiny brat just like he was at the beginning of the series.

Group B-11: Voting for Kyoko

Group B-12: Voting for Mashiro I don't think coming to depend on someone is as much of an improvement as Mashiro had to make.

Group B-13: Voting for Ryouta

Group B-14: Voting for Scar

Group B-15: Voting for Lain Taiga's improvement is impressive, but she came up against someone far stronger and more substantial.

Group B-16: Voting for Shoukei
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
B-9: Yuji Kaido- I feel like a lot of Chihiro's "changes" aren't that big. She already didn't want to eat the food, so she already had some sense of common morals. I think it was mostly just Haru helping her anyway, and her just growing up normally. She's shy and becomes less shy, and we don't even know if these changes will carry over back to her world as she's immediately told to forget the whole bath house thing at the end anyway.
Yuji on the other hand, goes into a deep sleep never expecting to wake up to a world surrounded by giant bugs killing everything. His first reaction is, quite literally, to wet himself. After several mauve shirts die, he decides that he needs to learn to fight for real and he becomes braver in the process. So he starts taking a more active role in his survival, far more active than I'd say Chihiro's was. It's clear that, rather than just Marlene rubbing off on him, they rub off on each other. Both of their changes greatly affect the course of the series and he's the easy vote in this case. Sadly, Marlene's up against someone from 12 Kingdoms so that's not as easy a vote, even if I do feel Marlene and Yuji's development works like a pair (shame they couldn't be nominated together). I feel like Chihiro's real claim here is being a Miyazaki character who does one stand up for herself thing at the end while Yuji is constantly adapting to a new world he never expected and is forced to confront this. And if it's about caring about people, he does come to care for Marlene, but also the few pockets of humanity still somehow left are something he comes to want to defend with all he's got.
B-10: Nodame
B-11: Rika Nonaka-Similar to Ken in a way that they both find out that Digimon are more than bits and data. They both bounce back from it, and though Ken has clearly committed more atrocities in his time, I think Rika has enough for this round (even if I think Ken is better).
B-12: Mashiro blan de Windbloom-Going based on other comments here. I've read 5/8 vols of House of Five Leaves, and I think others attitudes towards Masa change more than he does himself (even if he does eventually become cool with what's going on)
B-13: Ryouta
B-14: Scar
B-15: Taiga Aisaka-Something's up when the person with the Lain avatar won't vote for her. Also, I mostly remember her getting better at computers than actually improving her character, which was mostly blank slate to begin with.
B-16: Shoukei- Wow, this is a tough one, Marlene's improvement is nothing to sneeze at, but Shoukei definitely goes through a lot more. She turns from spoiled brat to commoner, declares revenge, then, as she learns more, decides her revenge was wrong and helps out for the right reasons. Marlene mostly becomes a nicer person, a very noticeable change in the second half, but not enough to beat Shoukei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 76