• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Aaaand ... those two last minute votes change nothing for the two closest matches. Brilliant! Razz Though I suppose it would make Key's job easier, if he already had written the results post up.

Edit: Oh, looking at the posts it looks like the board isn't affected by Daylight Savings, so maybe there is another hour left? Though the first post says EST and that's my timezone and it's midnight now.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
oh crap

Group C-9
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms
vs.
Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise

Arguments have convinced me to vote for Youko

Group C-10
Rikuo Sakisaka, Time of Eve
vs.
Shizuku Tsukishima, Whisper of the Hear

Arguments have convinced me to vote for Shizuka

Group C-11
Yukari “Caroline” Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss
vs.
Tomoya Okazaki, Clannad

Yukari definitely improves by finding a goal in life, but I feel that Tomoya changes much more.

Group C-12
Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic franchise
vs.
Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17

Voting for Kimihiro

Group C-13
Hikaru Shindou, Hikaru no Go
vs.
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!

argurments have convinced me to vote for Hikaru

Group C-14
Madoka Kaname, Puella Magi Madoka Magika
vs.
Watashi (unnamed protagonist), The Tatami Galaxy

hate to be a broken record, but i haven't seen either show, and arguemtns have swayed me to vote for Madoka

Group C-15
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
vs.
Kiki, Kiki’s Delivery Service

Voting for Kenshin

Group C-16
Seras Victoria, Hellsing Ultimate
vs.
Shinichi Chiaki, Nodame Cantibile[/quote]

again, voting for Chiaki due to arguments
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh pooh, I had hoped I would save Yukari from being eliminated. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D is now closed.

Thanks to getchman's buzzer-beater, we avoided our first tie. With 23 votes in, the results:

C-9: Youko treats Sesshomaru like a common yokai, 19-4.
C-10: Shizuku Tsukishima goes "Mr. Roboto" on Rikuo, 17-6.
C-11: Tomoya Okazaki slips by Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka, 12-11.
C-12: Kimihiro Watanuke outlasts Tsubasa, 13-10.
C-13: Hikaru Shindou treats Ami Kawashima like a Go neophyte, 17-6.
C-14: Madoka Kaname unleashes her wish on Watashi, 16-7.
C-15: Kenshin Himura goes for the reverse-blade knock-out on Kiki, 16-7.
C-16: Shinichi Chiaki shines the sun on Seras Victoria, 19-4.

Yeah, D-11 came down to the final vote, and I don't believe it was ever split by more the two votes the whole round. Kimihiro has had a slight edge on Tsubasa since the first few votes but could never pull away. The rest of the matches were never close.

That means that seeds were 8/8 this round, so if you picked no upsets in this group then your minigame shined! I made one choice that I knew was stupid by the time this Group started, but will my 7/8 be enough to gain back any lost ground?

Anyway, next round should be up shortly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
As far as the mini-game goes ... I really like Group C. I got all 8 matches in this group right again.

I am sad that Yukari was eliminated but she gave it a good fight. And of my three nominees in that round, she was definitely the weakest.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D is now closed.

Results can be found here.

This is the last installment of the second round, so we see the last batch of new contenders added into the mix. Please note that some of the Guide profiles (especially for Rue and Saber) have been substantially rewritten, so if you’re voting primarily on Guide entries then please peruse these again before voting.

To me, the most interesting matches look to be D-4, D-5, and D-8, with a possibility that D-2 might get interesting, too. I look forward to seeing arguments on all of those, especially D-5. Is that this week’s power match-up?

Group D-1
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Yuu Gotou, Noein – to your other self

Group D-2
Yuuko Kanoe, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
vs.
Chagum, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit

Group D-3
Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso
vs.
Rue, Princess Tutu

Group D-4
Waver Velvet, Fate/Zero
vs.
Vegeta, Dragonball Z/Kai

Group D-5
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
Suzu, The Twelve Kingdoms

Group D-6
Momo Miyaura, A Letter to Momo
vs.
Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon

Group D-7
Saji Crossroad, Mobile Suit Gundam 00
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero

Group D-8
Masakazu Misaki, Time of Eve
vs.
Tsukimi Kurashita, Princess Jellyfish

Last edited by Key on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
only two wrong this time. Seems I've seriously underestimated Youko though. I have her winning this round, but losing in round 3. guess that's what happens when you only have 15 minutes to fill and turn in the bracket
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I also went safe on this round and got all of them right Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I too hoped Yukari would move on to the next round, Tomoya snatched like 5 out of the 7 votes in the last 10 hours or so, it was unexpected. It'll be interesting to see him battling out with Watanuki, who also had a weak development in this round.

I thought I'd make 7/8 but I forgot I had Julian Mintz still going for this round. I do wonder what made me think Chiaki wasn't going to make it.

There aren't many match-ups I'm really looking forward to in Group D, but Simon, Chagum and Tsume joining the game should be fun to watch
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty dumb this round and missed three. I was hoping that I would only miss two, but that last vote for Tomoya made me miss that.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
Okay, let's get this round started!

Group D-1
Simon, Gurren Lagann
Hm, interesting matchup. I think Yuu is a pretty good candidate and he and Simon go through some similar experiences. However, I think Simon's improvement goes farther than Yuu's and the dimensional shenanigans in Noein, while presented in an interesting and mostly coherent and consistent way, actually serve to muddy the waters of Yuu's improvement, so Simon edges Yuu out on this one.

Group D-2

Group D-3
Rue, Princess Tutu
Giving this one to Rue. Porco Rosso is a worthy candidate and is able to break the chains of his past, but Rue has the advantage of being in a longer story with more time to devote to her development and redemption.

Group D-4
Waver Velvet, Fate/Zero
Arg, I'm conflicted here. I want to vote for both of these guys... Vegeta really comes a long way, but...the scene where Waver stands up to Gilgamesh near the end of F/Z is a capstone in just how far he's come from the coward he started off as. I'm going with Waver for now, may change later depending on arguments for Vegeta, but I'd be fine with either of these guys advancing.

Group D-5

Group D-6
Mainly going off write-ups here. Haven't seen Momo and only seen bits and pieces of Sailor Moon.

Group D-7
Saber's improvement is a bit different from a lot of candidates here. She doesn't get physically stronger, doesn't change from baddie to good guy, she doesn't go from crybaby to nerves of steel; her heart is in the right place from the moment she's introduced. Saber's improvement comes mainly through the acquisition of wisdom and the understanding of herself and others and the ability to accept failure without compromising her ideals. One could even argue she doesn't really improve in F/Z much at all because she is in fact at rock-bottom at the end of that story, however this is a necessity for her development in F/SN to make sense and her overall change be improvement at all. As a whole her tragedy in F/Z that finally ends with redemption in F/SN is a compelling character arc and she gets my full support in this matchup.

Group D-8

Edit: noticed grammar derp, no vote changes.

Last edited by Veers on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Ah, Key. You have the match numbers mixed up, especially since we're now in the Second Round.

Match D-9: Simon (Gurren Lagann)
Yuu's character does get some solid growth as he ventures with Haruka and Karasu. But I found Simon's character to have the more significant improvement here considering he grows up from being an insecure kid content to leave things as they are to an inspirational leader who gives his allies the drive to go up against powerful enemy threats.

Match D-10: Chagum (Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit)

Match D-11: Porco Rosso (Porco Rosso)

Match D-12: Vegeta (Dragon Ball franchise)
Overcoming one's cowardice is a decent amount of growth with Waver. But against a man who learns to let go of one's pride as a former prince and to value the new allies he came to live with on Earth, Vegeta's growth is much more significant here.

Match D-13: Suzu (Twelve Kingdoms)

Match D-14: Usagi Tsukino (Sailor Moon)

Match D-15: Saber (Fate franchise)

Match D-16: Tsukimi Kurashita (Princess Jellyfish)
Both aren't really strong candidates here and I imagine regardless of who wins, they will be plowed down in the next round. Regardless, I guess I'll vote for Tsukimi for this round since her growth, while still having quite a ways to go by series end, is a major improvement from her personality earlier in Princess Jellyfish and is more bigger personally than changing one's views over the sentience of androids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, people are slower to get started this time, it seems:

Group D-1
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Yuu Gotou, Noein – to your other self

Going with Simon here, and for pretty much the same reasons that Veers described.

Group D-2
Yuuko Kanoe, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
vs.

This is a tricky one for me. As much as I respect Moribito, I don't think Chagum is a strong choice here, primarily because we never really get a baseline established for him at the beginning. I don't necessarily regard him learning the customs of the common people as an improvement, and the boldness and assertiveness he displays in things like the gambling episode always seemed to be there. He does improve some, in the sense that he gathers the resolve to strengthen himself for the fight against the Egg-Eater, so he improves enough to be worthy of being present here, but he's not a third-round-worthy candidate.

While Yuuko is questionable on that front, too, she's more deserving. Yes, her behavior does not seem to change much from the early stages of the series to the end, but spoiler[coming to accept and reintegrate the ugliness of her Dark Yuuko side, and all of the painful memories that come with it], and thus come to peace with herself and what happened to her, is a much more massive step forward for her as a character. IOW, she's (literally!) not a whole person at the beginning but she is at the end.

Group D-3
Porco Rosso, Porco Rosso
vs.
Rue, Princess Tutu

Boy, I can see this one going either way, as I don't see Rue as a strong enough choice to win automatically. I still favor her because she does a pretty dramatic turnaround into becoming a sympathetic character late in the series, but she's nowhere near in Fakir's league.

Group D-4
Waver Velvet, Fate/Zero
vs.
Vegeta, Dragonball Z/Kai

This is also a tricky one because both sides have some pretty strong merits, enough so that I could easily see either in the third round. I'm going with Waver because he's really pretty pathetic at the beginning of F/Z but bolsters himself enough to stand up in the face of Archer/Gilgamesh even without Rider around by the end, to the point that Gilgamesh - who hardly respects anyone, including his own Master - actually respects him for it. That's coming quite a long way.

Group D-5
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
vs.

Wolf's Rain is nearly as beloved a series as 12K is, so I'm very interested to see how this one turns out. I have little regard for WR or any character in it, so I'm going with Suzu here. And it's not like she doesn't have her own merits, even though she is the weakest 12K candidate.

Group D-6
vs.

Momo was deserving of winning last round, but she faces an immensely stronger opponent here. Her improvement, though definite, is nowhere near as pronounced as Usagi's is described as being.

Group D-7
Saji Crossroad, Mobile Suit Gundam 00
vs.

Saji won last round primarily, I think, because his opponent was weak. Saber isn't. Veers described her case fairly well, so I'll use that argument, too.

Group D-8
Masakazu Misaki, Time of Eve
vs.

I'm open to being convinced here, especially by someone familiar with both series. For now I'll go with Masakazu Tsukimi.

Last edited by Key on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
D-9: Simon These are two series I really like, but I think Simon's changes are bigger and continue on through the whole series while Yuu's kinda happen early and its good. It's like there was always something for Simon to improve, and by the end, I definitely believed he was the most awesome character in a show where being the most awesome character is extremely important (and he certainly started off timid with no self confidence)
D-10: Yuuko
D-11: Rue Not as strong as Fakir, sure, but her change was very important to the story and I think it really helped her find herself
D-12: Vegeta What Ggultra said
D-13: Suzu Weakest 12K contender is still a stronger contender that a lot of other choices in this tourney, 12K is just that awesome with characters changing
D-14: Momo
D-15: Saber
D-16: Masakazu
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Group D-9
Simon, Gurren Lagann

I know about Simon by reputation only but what I've heard has left a fairly deep impression when it comes to his improvement. Yuu did not come close to matching that.

Group D-10

Group D-11
Rue, Princess Tutu

While I still personally think Mytho was a better candidate than Rue, she is definitely still a strong contender here. I don't know if I'll be voting her in the next round, should she make it but I don't have any doubt about voting for her now.

Group D-12
Vegeta, Dragonball Z/Kai

The arguments made last round convinced me to change my vote to Vegeta and still have me convinced that he's the one to support here.

Group D-13
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Another of my nominees and he is pretty damn incredible. I'll always remember the moment in episode 6 when he spoiler[says that they'll be making it to Paradise] and that was only the beginning of his journey. There's a reason he was one of the first characters who popped into my head when nominations began (in fact, IIRC he was my first nominee).

Group D-14

And I'm fairly certain Usagi was my second.

A few years ago, I watched the first season in Japanese to see if she was indeed less annoying subbed. She wasn't. However, by the end of Sailor Stars she is a strong leader and loyal friend who is believable in the role of the world's savior.

Edit: Oops, I actually got them flipped ... I nominated these two in the same post but technical Usagi was first and Tsume second.

Group D-15

Group D-16

I have mentioned that I dislike the characters in Time of Eve because I don't think they are very interesting. Tsukimi however is very interesting and, while hurt by the fact that her story in the anime isn't complete due to the manga being ongoing, she's still more than enough to get past Time of Eve's near cardboard cutouts.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 76