• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - The Diary of Anne Frank

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Excellent choice (I haven't even read the column yet, so I'll update!). I watched this with two of my friends in college, and we all found it a pretty good adaptation that should be suitable for a worldwide audience. If it weren't in Japanese, you'd hardly have know it was animated by Madhouse. The only strange bit was the operatic singing done in English, it just sounds weird to my native English speaking ears.

As someone who can watch dry and flat documentaries, so long as the subject matter is interesting enough, the cinematography and blandness of angles and movement wasn't something that bothered me here. The goal seemed to tell the story in a no frills fashion, and it succeeds at that minimalist task.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Never even heard of this. I have an odd fascination with anime based on western literature like this, probably driven by the fact that most of them aren't even available fansubbed and will almost certainly never see the light of day in any official capacity.

Just going by the images posted here I have to say I disagree with Justin on the character designs; I find them quite striking. Although admittedly this is just going off still images, maybe the problems are more evident in motion.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Well,Hollywood's done this a few times and I wonder something and that includes Mr. Sevakis,based on this review,should we be grateful or not that this particular anime version of "The Diary of Anne Frank" hasn't been brought to the States or not?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
This is actually fansubbed and I am going to have to disagree with Justin's review. I think it is an excellent adaption of the book. It really captures that Anne was just a normal teenage girl.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
This is actually fansubbed

It's been subbed multiple times now, because the Orphan-Licca release is just from this year, and I know the one I saw previously had a different group attached. Seems like there's also Polish and Hebrew subs out there.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never heard of this feature. Didn't even know there was an anime version of it. Now talk about rare. Now I wish I could check it out. Hey Discotek you listening?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I was actually aware that this existed, but never saw it. I wanted to, but this review seems to be pretty harsh on it. But now commenters are backin it up. Guess I'll have to see this for myself some time
anijunk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched the French adaptation of this movie last year on my national Remembrance Day (4 May) and thought it to be a good movie.

Watching it as a docudrama will be a good approach, in my opinion. The ending is well known, thus takes away a lot of the drama and the tension. Of course you would like to see more of the tension and irritation between the occupants; there were enough occasions for that during those 2 years in the hide out. It did not, making the film a little subdued.

The pacing of the story was quite good in this French release. I did not mind the camera work, either. the only weird thing was hearing the Dutch names spoken in English.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's been subbed multiple times now, because the Orphan-Licca release is just from this year, and I know the one I saw previously had a different group attached. Seems like there's also Polish and Hebrew subs out there.

The releases I saw listed were Polish and German subbed, based on the French DVD as they both had French as audio.

As for the English releases, you're right, at least two independent translations are in existence. Probably three as the details of one of the listed external subtracks make it seem highly likely it's original as well (Possibility does exist that others than Licca just used the subs from the French release, though they would have had to edit them to match the Japanese release).
For such an obscure 'quality' OVA, it sure seems to get around a lot...

Edit; The link in the article, near the end, "Le journal d'Anne Frank," points to the -79 adaptation, not the French re-edit of this mentioned in the context.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I saw it a few years ago so I knew it was subbed, didn't realize it was subbed so many times, especially since I see few people talking about this movie.

That being said while I don't see anime fans talking about it I have seen it referenced in an unofficial Anne Frank Society.
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I didn't know this movie existed. Shocked

Good Lord I love the Pile of Shame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the other posters who say they enjoyed the film, but I can see where Justin is coming from. It was a pretty unique experience and the minimalist style really worked. The more emotional moments like Anne's birthday are kinda amplified since everything else is so quiet. The two songs that play in the movie are really beautiful too. http://youtu.be/bElb6l1Lb4s
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Also, your timing on this article couldn't be more impeccable, Justin, the Holocaust Remembrance Day is April 8th this year, and this seems like a fitting film to watch if you're getting tired of Schindler's List, the Pianist, Life is Beautiful, and the rest.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Justin I didn't really think your collection was condensed that much. spindles thats crazy man. I was looking for this movie a couple years ago. Good to hear there is still hope.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Anne's face is killing me. She looks like the overly-attached girlfriend.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3