• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravensky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Season 1: Attack on Titan (TV)
Season 2: Attack on Titan (TV2) (discussion starts here)
Season 3: Attack on Titan (TV3) + (TV4) (discussion starts here)
Season 4: Attack on Titan: The Final Season (TV) + Part 2 (TV) + THE FINAL CHAPTERS (discussion starts here)

Source: Manga (completed @ 34 volumes, by Hajime Isayama)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Season 1: Wit Studio
Season 2: Wit Studio
Season 3: Wit Studio
Season 4: MAPPA

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, horror, psychological, thriller

Themes: conspiracy, dystopia, gore, military, politics, post-apocalyptic, shapeshifting, superhumans, superpowers, tragedy

Plot Summary: Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by enclosing themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: April 6, 2013 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Season 2: April 1, 2017 (Saturday)

Season 3: July 22, 2018 (Sunday)

Season 4:
Part 1: December 7, 2020 (Monday)
Part 2: January 9, 2022 (Saturday)
Final Chapters (1st half): March 3, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 25 episodes
Season 2: 12 episodes
Season 3: 22 episodes
Season 4: 28 episodes (currently)

Total: 87 episodes
----------------------------------

The first episode was great! The soundtrack and animation even in the very beginning of the episode was nice and pretty intense

I definitely enjoyed this and felt sorry for Eren and his family. I think there was some censoring....but ya. Great adaptation so far to this anime series. I hope it will be better on soon but this was a great start!
opn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
*Sigh* will people stop trusting the encyclopedia about episode counts? It is almost ALWAYS its wrong. Sure shingeki is probably 1 cour but it hasn't been confirmed as 12 episodes and it'll probably be 13 episodes. Anyway fantastic first episode. Best show this season so far.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Gee, I sure would like to watch it....

Too bad MBS WON'T FREAKIN' SIMULCAST IT. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I pretty much liked everything about the first episode. It has amazing production values and a chilling setting that these characters live in. The story immediately presents a sense of direction and purpose from the get-go and we find them thrown into an irreversible situation. I hope it'll live up to the hype it's getting at the moment.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The Railgun and Oreimo sequels are locks for me to follow, as I very much liked the first seasons of both, which leaves me 3-4 open slots for series to follow this season. Based on the first episode, this one is 99% like to be one of those. It gave me a vibe very much like a cross between Claymore and Death Note - not surprising, since it share a director with the latter. My one concern is some fairly heavy use of limited animation, but otherwise almost everything impressed me.

Given that this is also based on a very popular manga, I will be a bit surprised if this doesn't end up being one of the biggest hits of the season.

EDIT: Geez, I can't spell write in posts today. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Key on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the manga I'm really glad the first ep lived up to my expectations. They got the tone of the series down perfectly and the musical score and character designs(good lord do the character designs look prettier than the manga's) are great. I didn't notice the apparent limited animation issues but I'm pretty sure they'll break out the heavy animation for the action scenes and stuff.

Only complaint I have isn't about the show itself but rather Japan's apparent decision to bar the US from streaming it. You'd think given how big a title this is they'd WANT to show it on as many legal venenues as possible and make more money in the long run by building up an audience base in as many areas as they can, but since they apparently want the show to be pirated, that's on them I guess. Evil or Very Mad
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow just wow. I thought Devil Survivor had an epic first episode, but this one was even better. The animation, the music, the emotions, etc was all perfect. The only minor complaint I have is Eren's voice actor. I don't believe that was the best match for someone like Eren. I get reminded of characters like Harayuki and Shu. I am loving Mikasa, she was awesome.

Anyone else get reminded of the troll face with the Titan's creepy smile? It was disheartening to spoiler[see the mom get eaten alive by it.]
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I liked the setting, the story, and even the characters, but I thought the writing was notably terrible. Like, everything was one long coincidence set up purely for the sake of exposition and creating a suitably tragic backstory for all the characters involved. There was not a single "natural" moment in the entire episode, where something happened simply because it made sense in context.

Compelling, maybe. Subtle, no.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
First episode didn't really hook me. Hopefully the next one will do better now that the introductory episode is out of the way.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 1:
Seeing how I had to use my "alternative means" to watch this show, I am both impressed yet a tad bit worried.

It really does feel like some medieval world setting with the grimly, dark supernatural elements like Claymore only more sepia-colored for some reason. As for the constant plot convenience (Gee whiz, who would've thought that on the same day the Retcon Group failed to find new land to colonize would also be the day that some literal bolt from the blue spoiler[brought forth a 50+ meter giant that was smart enough to kick the wall down?] Not too mention the spoiler[death of his mother via Titan] will most defiantly not influence his future decision making. ;D) yeah...

For now, I'm contented to just see well-animated fight scenes over mediocre writing. Not too mention, there really is something terrifying about giant, human-eating...human-things.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this was just intense but one of the best pilot episodes I've seen so far. Everything clicked right imo with the soundtrack, OP song, visuals, etc. Oh and of course the action in the beginning with the giants and violence.

The setting fits pretty well too but ya, this was a great first episode. I am hooked and looking forward to more~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
As for the constant plot convenience...
Yea, if I recall correctly the beginning of the manga was like that. They couldn't have telegraphed it more--spoiler["the walls will come down and the Titans will attack someday! Oh, and it just happens to be today!"]--if they hit us with a sledgehammer. I thought it took many chapters for the manga to smooth some bumps out and really hit its stride. It will be interesting to see if they make any adjustments to the story in the anime or if it will follow the manga closely.

I thought it was ok for a first episode. I really liked the backgrounds and some of the more stylized shots of the titans. I was not crazy about Eren's over acting, it was completely annoying. It felt like he spent the entire episode screaming. I also thought that the speed lines that were added for dramatic moments (non-action mind you, lol) were a downright stupid choice. However, Mikasa is awesome and I will continue watching just for her.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I was not crazy about Eren's over acting, it was completely annoying. It felt like he spent the entire episode screaming. I also thought that the speed lines that were added for dramatic moments (non-action mind you, lol) were a downright stupid choice. However, Mikasa is awesome and I will continue watching just for her.

That is exactly how I felt. His constant screaming was annoying. Not to mention I kept imagining Haruyuki when he was screaming for no reason...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
for people who read the manga. Are those giants low intelligence species?
bluetoile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Attack on Titan Anime to Run for Half a Year

Guess those encyclopedias aren't very reliable.

In episode 1, spoiler[what was that light that hit the wall? Lighting?]. Also, the first episode did a great job in setting up the story and the OP and background music is awesome.

Last edited by bluetoile on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 107