• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tom Cruise to Star in Film of Yukikaze Sci-Fi Novels

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Highway to the danger zoooone!!!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Can't keep that guy away from jets.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Please, no volleyball...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kambayashi wrote two Yukikaze novels: 1984's original Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze novel and 1999's Good Luck Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze.

Three novels - the third, Unbroken Arrow, came out in 2009.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Quote:
Kambayashi wrote two Yukikaze novels: 1984's original Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze novel and 1999's Good Luck Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze.

Three novels - the third, Unbroken Arrow, came out in 2009.

And at least, if nothing else, this news increases the odds that Viz will translate and release that novel as well, which up until now seemed to have fallen by the wayside either due to licensing issues, lack of interest, or whatever.

Honestly, though, when I saw this article, my first thought was, "hey, I can live with that." (Actually, my very first thought was, "wow, I didn't know anyone in Hollywood was trying to make a live-action Yukikaze film," but anyway.) I don't like Tom Cruise all the time, but he's just the right fit for some movies. While he might not really be anyone's first choice for a Yukikaze film that was very tightly adapted from the source material or even the anime adaptation, I doubt Warner Bros. was thinking anything but Jets! and Aliens! when they got set on this project, and in that sense Cruise is a very good fit. Not that it can't also be a film with thought-provoking and philosophical elements, but I couldn't really buy Cruise as (presumably) Fukai if those elements were heavily in the forefront.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Based on what I remember from the anime, I feel like Tom Cruise has too much acting range to accurately portray any of the characters.

Oh my god, did I just say that.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Here I was hoping for a Yukikaze movie, but not with Cruise.

They're going to butcher the books most likely because I CANNOT picture Cruise pulling of Rei well, if at all. It'll just be another Tom Cruise Action Flack Starring Tom Cruise as Tom Cruise, without any of the material that I liked the novels for. (The philosophical aspects in the original, to be exact.)

PS: I like the guy. Just haven't liked any of the recent movies he's done because they've all been kinda the same.

This is about as bad as that hypothetical FMP movie a couple of years ago with Zac Efron playing Sosuke.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Based on what I remember from the anime, I feel like Tom Cruise has too much acting range to accurately portray any of the characters.

Oh my god, did I just say that.
Same here; I feel your pain as I'm not much of a TC fan.

I don't remember being very impressed with the anime. All I remember is that it was longest short show I've seen as there wasn't much to take away: mysterious aliens, vague (at best) explanations, Antarctica, a possible environmental message (I saw this shortly after Gasaraki & Blue Gender so...), jets & a rather stereotypical setup between the crew of the main jet that set the stage for what TV Tropes calls "Ho Yay". The link in the article says that the author of the original work is "Japan's answer to Isaac Asimov" and (the questionable/antagonistic language of that aside) if that is so then the anime certainly did not show it.

...and all of this with less spoken dialogue than The Artist Rolling Eyes Wink

But maybe the movie can be good. Maybe.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a little late for an April Fools joke isn't it?
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Can't they just hire some up and coming actor, or just someone else who isn't Tom Cruise? Because every time he's in a movie, I tend not to enjoy them or even care about them. I just don't know why! I just can't seem to care! WHY!?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Can't they just hire some up and coming actor, or just someone else who isn't Tom Cruise?

Because they can pay a Tom Cruise sized salary for Tom Cruise, which means ticket sales on the name "Tom Cruise" alone. If not Tom Cruise, then they'd try for someone else with a star power name. That's how Hollywood works. That's how Hollywood's always worked. That's how Hollywood will work in the foreseeable future baring some massive upheaval in contracts and unions.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Can't they just hire some up and coming actor, or just someone else who isn't Tom Cruise? Because every time he's in a movie, I tend not to enjoy them or even care about them. I just don't know why! I just can't seem to care! WHY!?

Because they can pay a Tom Cruise sized salary for Tom Cruise, which means ticket sales on the name "Tom Cruise" alone. If not Tom Cruise, then they'd try for someone else with a star power name. That's how Hollywood works. That's how Hollywood's always worked. That's how Hollywood will work in the foreseeable future baring some massive upheaval in contracts and unions.

Well then, they should just use some other star power name, who I would like to watch but not this guy!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Well then, they should just use some other star power name, who I would like to watch but not this guy!

That's your viewpoint, but I'm sure no matter who they chose, someone would have beef with that decision. How about RDJ? Wahlberg? Stiller? Law? Sometimes it's hard to sell a movie on premise or title recognition, which is why budget is diverted to getting star power.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
Is this some kind of a joke? That fool needs to retire. I don't watch any of his movies cos there is NO TALENT BEHIND HIS ACTING.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
Tom Cruise and Jet-Fighters are so compatible. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3