• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Attack on Titan Designer Recruits Animators by Twitter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I haven't heard about this till just now but this sounds kinda interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this means less reliance on still frames in the latter parts of the series. Episode 3 was rife with them, and it was very distracting.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Hopefully this means less reliance on still frames in the latter parts of the series. Episode 3 was rife with them, and it was very distracting.

Exactly what I was thinking, though in moderation I think some of them work quite well as vignettes.
Helius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
They leave it 'til NOW to recruit animators?? Shocked
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
How convenient.

Still, why now of all times? Why not delay the series at the beginning so they could look for more people? Has asking for more animators publicly while in the middle an ongoing project ever happened before?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
Wit is a small new studio, with this being the first actual TV anime, so often times new studios like this will have growing pains. Hopefully they didn't blow too much of their budget early on.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
I think this kind of stuff happens more often than we're aware. You can sort of gauge production issues or time pressure by the amount of correction done for the home video release.

It's interesting they would actually announce it publicly. Usually, they farm it out to other studios. Maybe they want to cut costs of going through other studios and hire or contract with animators directly?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Hopefully we don't have as many still frame scenes like in episode 3.
Production quality has been very high apart from that, so I hope it continues and they haven't already blown a large chunk of their budget trying to dare people in.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Cant japan just make a robot all ready to do this pointless low paying job
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
can't japan just make a robot all ready to do this pointless low paying job

Hey, as an animator I take offense to that! Sad

It is not a pointless job, however low-paying. No robot can substitute for the art of creating not just believable, but invest-able, emotions and movements out of hundreds of still drawings. It's also part of an even bigger pipeline of people and I doubt a robot is going to know what to do when your boss comes up to you and says "I don't what... but something about this drawing is off, so fix it." It's not as easy as it sounds and it is a tedious and (a lot of times) thankless job that requires an unbelievable amount of patience that not every joe schmoe can sit down and do for hours a day and still be sane by the end of it.

If you want good-looking anime, you sure as hell better want, appreciate, good animators.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

It is not a pointless job, however low-paying. No robot can substitute for the art of creating not just believable, but invest-able, emotions and movements out of hundreds of still drawings. It's also part of an even bigger pipeline of people and I doubt a robot is going to know what to do when your boss comes up to you and says "I don't what... but something about this drawing is off, so fix it." It's not as easy as it sounds and it is a tedious and (a lot of times) thankless job that requires an unbelievable amount of patience that not every joe schmoe can sit down and do for hours a day and still be sane by the end of it.

If you want good-looking anime, you sure as hell better want, appreciate, good animators.

@Ari_chan
I totally agree with you. What firedragon54738 commented is insensitive and unappreciative. It takes a lot of time to come up with those pretty anime drawings and movements. Even his anime profile pic took hours of works and revisions to create when animators created it from scratch.

@firedragon54738
If you think animator's job is robotic, then you try to make one. I'm sure it's easy as flipping burger.
Helius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

While I'm in full agreement, animators in Japan are particularly underappreciated despite the importance of their job.

3D animation has the benefit of computer programmes handling the tedious work. So I wonder if there're any means to streamline the 2D process to make it more efficient and expedient so that the studios wouldn't have to outsource to South Korea, Malaysia et al.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Yeah, that's called CG, and it usually looks awful.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

Yeah, that's called CG, and it usually looks awful.

That's just as offensive as the original comment. Animation, regardless of if it's 2D or 3D, is a painstaking process if you want it to look right.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
How convenient.

Still, why now of all times? Why not delay the series at the beginning so they could look for more people? Has asking for more animators publicly while in the middle an ongoing project ever happened before?

Its possible that Attack on Titan became a surprise hit and now the investors have decided to sink some more capital into it.

Question. I assume Attack on Titan is a 26 episode series, and as its already airing is it not already fully animated and ready to roll? Or is it typical to have latter season episodes still in production at this point in an ongoing season?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2