• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Universal Pictures to Produce Live-Action Remake of Vexille CG Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Having watched Vexille, it seems to me like exactly the sort of thing that would succumb to remake drift, in that it will remain so only in name. The thematic nuts and bolts (heh) of the story are completely tied to the prevailing images of Japanese social and technological decadence; yet I doubt Hollywood will want to reproduce the setting in a Japanese context. And without that, Vexille just dissolves into a generic puddle.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. Didn't see that coming Shocked

Not looking forward to this, at all. I thought Vexille was crap. Its one of my least favorite movies ever...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen Vexille myself, but the people listed give me no nope.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Whatever other people say, I consider Vexille a vastly underrated sci-fi action film that had plenty of good, awesome things about it. Either way, I'm intrigued to see what this new take might be.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, on the bright side, the original was pretty terrible, so a remake can't really much worse.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
This will either stay in development hell or if it does get made not get a decent enough budget to actually have a chance to be any good.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Oh wow. Didn't see that coming Shocked

Not looking forward to this, at all. I thought Vexille was crap. Its one of my least favorite movies ever...

Then there is a decent chance that the Hollywood remake of it will be excellent! Or does it only work the other way around: Good amime --> Bad Hollywood Movie but not Bad anime --> Good Hollywood Movie?

LOL
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised anyone would choose Vexille for a live action remake. Its been a while since i watched it, but I recall thinking the original movie was relatively mediocre.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest here. I'm amazed that anyone in Japan would have made "Vexille" at all. In this one,it's a group of American military men and women who goes up against a Japanese company. In this anime,the Americans are the good guys. I don't have a problem with that. I'm just surprised that any Japanese animation company would have made that.
In recent years,Hollywood has often made this country the villain in a lot of it's films. They've done that with amazing frequency. For a Japanese company to do that and make Americans the good guys,was something astounding to me. Now Hollywood's going to remake "Vexille."

I hope they won't do what they have done in recent years and leave the Americans as the good guys. That's all I'm asking them to do.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
First, not many have seen Vexille. Second, it wasn't that good anyways.

So, what's there to complain about? That it won't be a good remake? That it won't be like the original? It'll ruin the original perception of the film?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
I just hope that ...

spoiler[..the kick ass female actually lives in the end in the live remake.]
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I really enjoyed Vexille, however I thought the concept of the "sandworms" they had could have been executed better. Though they looked kind of cool, all I kept thinking about them is how could they even possibly work. Despite that, I found the movie's vision of the future quite intriguing, including the look of the advances in technology. The thought that spoiler[ an entire society was affected negatively by something that was introduced through immunisation is a very real possibility, when you consider how widely flu shots and other types of vaccinations are done. Something like that could easily be subverted and abused by the powers that be.] Done right, I think it could make for a pretty decent live-action film.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Such a generic concept might actually work. Not like it will ever get made, but good luck Universal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1