• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Minigame.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Supporting
Aqua

Hang in there, errinundra. One of these days, Aria will have its day!
Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Ryvius

Series: Infinite Ryvius
Base: space station/ship
Important Groups Zwei members
Important locations: Bridge, Robot control room
Description: When terrorists attacked the space station Liebe Delta, 486 students make their way to a smaller spaceship hidden within the core, the Ryvius. It comes equipped with its own giant robot (the Vital Guarder). There are limited supplies, lots of people, and no adults (as they all died saving the children). In addition, the world assumed the Ryvius was being controlled by the same terrorists and is constantly attacked as a result with refusal to give asylum. The Zwei are students that were elite cadets being groomed for future space ship command.
What makes it great: With 486 children suddenly being forced to live together in what was a fairly unused place from their space station, they quickly need to learn about the ship and about each other. The students start by finding a place to set up a form of housing dorms, assigning students to work in the kitchens, or on engineering, etc. They also discover a giant robot which four people need to control from a special room. The students are on the space ship for at least a good three months, during which time the Ryvius must become their home. At first this is kinda cool, like a forced extended staycation where they think help should be coming within the week. When help doesn't come, it also becomes part of the reason why a political struggle takes place and the students go a bit Lord of the Flies, quickly abandoning their morals for power, so the setting has a very big impact on the psyche of many characters. Yet by the end of the series, the Ryvius has clearly grown on a lot of the named characters as they jump at the chance to return to it.
Pictures outside view, dorm area, Vital Guarder control room, Bridge

Abenobashi Shopping Arcade

Series: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Base: modern Osaka, Japan town or any anime trope it damn well wants to be
Important locations: Pelican grill
Description: For the first episode, Abenobashi is a normal Osakan town that's been getting a lot of development recently with everything from shopping centers to apartment complexes being built. As a result, the girl main might end up moving to Hokaido. When our two mains, Saashi and Arumi, start world jumping, they're ending up in alternate versions of Abenobashi with the familiar characters of the town in new roles and the location now representing some new anime stereotype. These include: RPG world, science fiction and giant robot world, martial arts world, prehistoric world, noir world, WW2 world, dating sim world, and Hollywood.
What makes it great: For all the different worlds Abenobashi becomes, each one helps to cement why the shopping arcade is so important to Saashi and Arumi's life and why it would be a shame for it to become overdeveloped to the point where it disappears. The town is where they grew up and it's entirely possible that Saashi literally cannot go on if the town were to change.

Esperanza

Series: They Were 11(movie)
Base: Out of commission futuristic space ship
Important Group: The eleven students
Description In order for prospective students from across the galaxy of all races to get into the best school, they need to finish out their test with a practical exam. Such exams are held on one of several out of commission, old, decrepit space ships where the students must last on board and pilot the ship for 53 days. If they push the rescue button or someone dies, they all fail and have to wait 3 years for another chance. The students are supposed to go in groups of ten, but this particular group has an added eleventh person. No one will fess up to being it and no one has any idea why the extra member is there.
What makes the world great: While the spaceships have food, water, and medicine on board, that doesn't make this challenge easy, particularly when the Esperanza is on course for a sun and has temperature sensitive plants messing up half of the electronics and releasing a deadly disease. For added fun, the test committee puts bombs in there. We gradually see much of the ship as the movie goes on, showing some rather stunning locations. The main character also seems a little too familiar with the ship, though his knowledge often helps keep them alive. The ship is the test, it's also why many of the characters may start to argue, and it seems like every new thing they learn only makes the test more difficult and life threatening. At the same time, it's also their home for the next 53 days and they do take time to enjoy themselves here and there.
Pictures Part of the inside of the ship, Outside of ship

Metropolis

Series: Metropolis (movie)
Base: near future metropolis
Important locations: Ziggurat, Surface, Zones 1-3
Important groups: robots, humans
Description: Metropolis is a futuristic vast city with multiple layers, starting from the surface, going down to the poorer residential areas in lower "zones", and to the sewage and garbage facility. It is a tightly controlled society where robots are often discriminated against.
What makes the world great: The movie of Metropolis shows off each of the levels slowly in turn. We start on the surface, seeing the completion of a new building that reaches above the clouds, The Ziggurat. What at first seems like a really cool city is slowly revealed to have more going on as a reporter and his nephew discover how robots are often murdered for simply being robots, and how citizens of the lower level are barely making it by while the higher ups do nothing to help as they are too busy preparing a celebration to show off their new tower. The more of the city is show, the more disgusting it becomes to the viewer and the reporter's nephew, culminating in a showdown in the giant structure seen at the start of the movie: The Ziggurat. In addition, each zone feels unique and different and are known to have seedier areas, so each zone is practically its own city and not a single city trope for each layer.
Pictures City skyview, Ziggurat, seen from ground, surface level, a lower Zone, looking up from the lower zone
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

The Universe of the Four Gods

Series/Franchise: Fushigi Yugi

Magic/Technological Base: High Fantasy

Important Locations Konan, Kutou, Hokkan, Sairou

Important Groups/Races: the four Beast Gods (Suzaku, Seiryu, Genbu, Byakko), the Suzaku senshi/seven, the Seiryu senshi/seven

Description: The Universe of the Four Gods is a book in our world but inside it lies another world. Throughout the years, various young girls are drawn inside this book, becoming the priestesses of the four Beast Gods and starting the story anew.

What Makes The World Great: The Universe of the Four Gods is one of the more unique initial premise for a world in the “modern girl pulled into a fantasy world” sub-genre. The fact that this world is a book and that the people who live there are just characters in a book is a theme/issue that runs throughout the show and makes the stakes more challenging to define.

The world itself also pulls together Chinese mythology and history together with a dash of magic. It also creates a history for the world, as the priestesses of Genbu and Byakko have already had their stories told before the series begins.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Supporting
Universe of the 4 Gods
Aqua
World of Pandora Hearts
Sternbild
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Leaving very early tomorrow and I don't know if I'll have time or Internet to finish this later, so I cleaned this up the best I could. If there's anything I forgot or whatever, feel free to PM me, though as I said, not sure if I'll have Internet the next ten days^^; And if you think you can right a better one, you're probably right, so feel free xD

Nominating:

The Twelve Kingdoms

Series/Franchise: The Twelve Kingdoms

Magic/Technological Base: High Fantasy
Important Locations: As the name suggests, this alternate world is made up of twelve kingdoms. Though others are mentioned in passing, only a handful feature heavily in the story: Kou, Kei, En, Sai, Hou, and possibly Ryuu. The central island also features heavily, especially Mount Hou and the Koukai.
Important Groups/Races: Kirin, Kings, Kaikyaku, Sennin, Hanjuu
Description: The Twelve Kingdoms is an alternate world based on ancient China that is occasionally connected to our own by way of a strange phenomenon called a shoku. Sometimes, things and people from the two kingdoms are transferred between worlds. People can be transported from our world, like third arc heroine Suzu, and babies can be transported from 12K, like main character Youko. People in 12K are born from sacred trees called riboku. This allows for the presence of rare creatures called hanjuu, who are half human and half beast. Hanjuu, along with those from our world, are often scorned and oppressed, though this depends on the kingdom.

12K is a world ruled by its gods, but, paradoxically, most of its residents aren’t very religious. This is because the gods only intervene in very predictable and utilitarian ways. There is a system for kings to be chosen and deified and for them to rule, and if that system is broken in any way, the people, and especially the king who has lost the Way, are punished by the appearance of demons and calamities. Kings command nine provincial lords, who more directly command the people within their province. The kingdoms vary quite a bit based on the temperament of the ruler, but are united in a way because they all follow the Way laid down by the gods. Kings are chosen by heavenly beasts called kirin, unicorn-like creatures from Chinese mythology. There is one kirin for each of the twelve kingdoms. The kirin are beings of ultimate good and can bow to no one except their own king. They are raised by oracles on Mount Hou in the center of the 12K world.
What Makes The World Great: If it wasn’t obvious from my struggling to fit the description in under 400 words, this is an incredibly detailed and intricate fantasy world. I couldn’t even get into some of the fascinating customs surrounding the birth of children, or ascending Mt. Hou as a prospective king, or details of the kirin’s lifestyle and physiology. There are many little details that really help make you feel like this is a real place. More than this, however, the setting contributes greatly both to the character development (which, as was proven in the recent Most Improved Character tournament—where Youko won—is excellent) and to various political themes within the series itself. The world is so well-realized it reads like historical fiction. It’s a little hard to memorize vocabulary at the outset, but after a few episodes it’s hard not to get sucked in.

Info Link: http://12kingdoms.wikia.com/wiki/Atlas
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:

The Twelve Kingdoms, The Twelve Kingdoms
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:

Saiunkoku
Franchise: The Story of Saiunkoku
Magic/Technological Base: Historical (Ancient China.) I'm not sure if I'd call it fantasy, but if enough people disagree I'll add it.
Important Locations The Imperial Palace, Shurei's family home.
Important Groups The Hong Clan, the Shi Clan, the Ran Clan.
Description The world of Saiunkoku is loosely based on ancient China, but this is no Fushigi Yuugi. Long ago, a warrior named Sou Gen gathered the 8 Colourful Sages, and together they drove out the demons infesting the country. Saiunkoku literally means "land of the coloured clouds" and the country is divided into 8 provinces, each ruled by a noble family who are descended from the original 8 Sages.
What makes it great? The detail with which the country is depicted. From the accuracy of the civil service exams, to the oppression Shurei faces when she tries to become the first woman to pass them, and the bullying she faces when she does try and work, the country feels well thought out and portrayed. The characters are all believable, and the political aspects, although not central to the story do add a touch more realism.

I am not very good at stuff like this so if anyone wishes to suggest improvements, please do!

Supporting The 12 Kingdoms
mow123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Supporting

Twelve Kingdoms
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Universe -- should be changed to universe from galaxy. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that some of these worlds were beyond the Milky Way Galaxy
Aqua
Wolf's Rain World

Bit surprised to see no nominations for the Moribito or Erin: The Beast Player worlds yet. Nahoko Uehashi is an amazing writer, and both of these worlds translated well into the anime medium. As predicted, I am pretty much only seeing fantasy and Sci-Fi shows, but I suppose that's okay.

I would write those two myself, but I suck at writing. Expect to see some lesser entries from me.

Nominating

Pokemon World
Franchise: Pokémon
Magic/Technological Base: Fantasy World influenced by modern day Japan
Important Locations Johto, Kanto, Sinnoh, Hoenn, Distortion World
Important Groups Team Rocket, Team Plasma, Pokemon Trainers, Gym Leaders
Description According to Sinnoh legend, this world was created solely by the Pokémon, Arceus. Sporting a diverse ecosystem of sometimes magical monsters called Pokemon, the geographic setting is based directly off of real world Japan. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Regions.png). Despite always being populated by Pokémon , the arise of trainers, gym leader and researchers dedicated to this subject did not materialize until roughly 700 years before modern times. Pokemon trainers dedicate their lives to understanding Pokémon , training them, and honing their fighting skills against other trainers, gym leaders, or other opponents. Gym Leaders test the skill of Pokémon trainers and once defeated they award the victorious trainers with badges, tokens of skill and dedication. Nefarious elements such as Team Rocket and Team Plasma also exist. These groups are criminal organizations with agendas ranging from petty theft to world domination to the liberation of all Pokémon from their owners. Pokemom researchers focus on cataloging, learning the mysteries, and advising others with their knowledge on the subject of Pokemon. Many are seen as subject matter experts and advisers beyond their traditional role as scientists.

What makes it great? The diverse ecosystem of Pokémon that this world has created is truly astounding ranging from small insects and vermin to huge rock monsters and dragons with many unique variations in between. Even more impressively not all Pokémon are even living beings. In an era reminiscent to our 1990's artificially created Pokémon were created in a lab as a result of software engineering. This world's distinctiveness is amplified by the fact that the existence of Pokémon is a very defining factor. The many depictions of the world all display a popular fascination with Pokémon and their interactions with humans, including obtaining them, training them, battling them, raising them, caring for them as pets, studying them, and utilizing their varied skills proving that their existence is fundamentally important. Several myths discuss the relationship between humans and Pokémon as a very intertwined relationship, and one folk tale even says that there was a time when humans and Pokémon were considered one and the same. Lastly, the fact that the world is geographically and culturally based on Japan give the world a hint of realism in an otherwise whimsical fantasy world.

Last edited by mow123 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

The world of Slayers

Series/Franchise: Slayers

Magic/Technological Base: Fantasy
Important Groups/Races: (Mazoku) demons that can take different forms, the higher ones can take a form of a human, (Ryuozoku) take forms of dragons, but can also take different forms, for example of humans
Description: Full of magical creatures, Mazoku, whose aim is to destroy the world and Ryuozoku, who try to protect it, people who can use magic and kingdoms that are ruled by ambitious kings, Slayers offers a vivid world with its own history.
What Makes The World Great: The fact that this world has its own interesting idea for fictional creatures rather than relying on the established ones, sets it apart from more generic fantasy worlds and helps to make it more entertaining. The attractiveness of the world also lies in a good idea of how magic works.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:24 am; edited 7 times in total
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Supporting
Saiunkoku (The Story of Saiunkoku)
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
So excited for this. Though I forgot how long it takes to do these nominations.

NOMINATING:

The World of Magi

Franchise: Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Magic/Technological Base: Fantasy with some historical aspects
Important Locations: Balbadd, island Kingdom of Sindria, Kou Empire, Koga plains, dungeons (found throughout the world), the Dark Continent (implied to be Africa)
Important Groups/Races: Fog Troupe (a group of chivalrous thieves), Kou Empire royal family, Al Thamen (a secret organization that spreads chaos), Balbadd royal family, Koga Clan (nomadic people), Eight Generals of Sindria (holders of the Household vessels), djinn, Fanalis (people from the Dark Continent with superhuman strength and speed)
Description: The story follows Alibaba's and Aladdin's adventures, set in an Arabian-type world. Most countries are ruled by royalty whose vast riches are far removed from the common citizen's lifestyles, and slavery is a common practice. The presence of Dungeons gives the opportunity to anyone to rise to fame and fortune though. Dungeons are dangerous and trap-filled towers that contain vast riches and powerful items. Most people never come out alive, but the greatest treasure found in each dungeon is its resident djinn, whose power you obtain when the dungeon is 'cleared'.
Some Dungeon Capturers are supported and encouraged by a Magi. Magi are rare sorcerers with a virtually unlimited supply of power due to their connection with the essence of life (known as Rukh). Magi can access the power of Rukh all around them, but anyone else can only use the Rukh that is naturally inside them. The few Dungeon Capturers who receive guidance from a Magi are known as King's Candidates, and have the opportunity to shape and change the world.
What Makes The World-Building Great: This is a fantasy series that not only has a thoroughly developed system of magic, but of politics and culture as well. Slavery is common throughout the world, but it doesn't just concentrate on the obvious moral aspect of slavery, it actually explores some of the economics. Relationships between countries, trade routes, and even currency are established and realistically affected by alliances, political marriages, revolutions and bands of thieves.

Picture Link: Balbadd, Sindria

SUPPORTING:
Pandora Hearts
Gunslinger Girl, Italy
Aria, Aqua
Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Universe
Wolf's Rain
Princess Tutu, Gold Crown Town
Kurokami
Infinite Ryvius, Ryvius
They Were 11, Esperanza
Fushigi Yuugi, Universe of the Four Gods
Twelve Kingdoms
Pokemon- Lol, I hadn't thought of this one at all, but it might actually go pretty far in this tournament!
Slayers
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:

Pokemon World, Pokemon
Saiunkoku, Story of Saiunkoku

For the latter, I would definitely agree that historical is more accurate than fantasy. And speaking of historical ...

Nominating:

France

Series/Franchise: The Rose of Versailles

Magic/Technological Base: Historical

Important Locations Versailles, Paris

Important Groups/Races: the royal family, nobles, servants

Description: The story is set in France, between roughly 1770 and 1792, the tail end of which overlaps with the French Revolution. The world of historical France is captured in great detail, with the Palace of Versailles in particular shown in all it's glory, tradition, and seedier sides as well.

What Makes The World Great: The setting allows for a perfect blend of fact and fiction. The French Revolution is one of the most important events in modern history and this series takes full advantage of many historical aspects of the series, while also using the world to create original characters and plots. The knowledge of what will eventually happen to the lives of the main characters also maintains tension throughout the series, as even those who aren't too historical knowledgeable likely at least know the fates of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette.

If anyone has anything to add to this, please let me know. I've begun to re-watch this series but I haven't seen most of it in years and so I may be forgetting something.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

The world of Arslan Senki

Franchise: Arslan Senki
Magic/Technological Base: fantasy
Important Locations: Palse, Lusitania
Important Groups: Palse’s army, Lusitania’s army
Description: The invasion of the country of Palse by the forces of Lusitania results in capturing the King of Palse. However, his young son escapes the enemy and surrounds himself with wiser and experienced people who will help him to reclaim his kingdom. It quickly becomes apparent that not only does the young man have to be careful of the enemies from Lusitania, but also of those who may try to take advantage from the turmoils of war.
What Makes The World-Building Great: Although there are no magical creatures, no superpowers and magic plays only a small role in the world of Arslan Senki, as other famous Tanaka’s story, Legend of the Galactic Hero, the world's appeal lies mainly in a more complex presentation of the political situation than can be expected from an average fictional world.

The world of Angle’s Egg

Franchise: Angel’s Egg
Magic/Technological Base: surrealistic and desolated world
Important Locations: An abandoned town that looks like a 19th century European town, desolated space
Important Groups: fishermen
Description: Full of familiar and unfamiliar places, the desolated world is no less important than the characters, who like the world itself, are only symbols in an extraordinary vision.
What Makes The World-Building Great: Although the world remains a puzzle, it's difficult not to get mesmerized by the beautiful vision in which Mamoru Oshii uses his extensive knowledge of mythology and philosophy. Filled with mythological symbols, such as: egg, tree, etc. and drawn in a marvellous way, the world of Angel’s Egg radiates unique and unforgettable atmosphere.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
I continue to be surprised by how few of the anime mentioned so far are shows I've actually seen. It looks like it will be a very good tournament for me, as far as adding things to the to-watch list goes.

Gunsmoke

Series/Franchise: Trigun

Magic/Technological Base: Space Western

Important Locations July, Inepril, Augusta, the Project SEEDS ships

Important Groups/Races: The Gung-Ho Guns, Plants, the Bernardelli Insurance Society

Description: A more aptly named planet is hard to find. The world of Gunsmoke is a dangerous one, where guns might outnumber population. It also has a mix of low technology and the lost technology, including the great power plants, which no one living knows very much about.

Also, most of the cities are named after months, there are two suns, and multiple moons.

What Makes The World Great: Space Western is a difficult genre to tackle because typically it doesn't make much sense for the technology of the old west to still be used when space age tech is available. Gunsmoke pulls this off very well, with the actual workings of the high tech having been lost since humans first arrived on the planet.

Gunsmoke also is given an intricate history alongside our main character, Vash the Stampede. This backstory and everyone else we have come to know about the planet make how it developed to the state it's in for the present make perfect sense, a challenging task in this genre.

Still considering nominating the following: Madoka Magica, Eden of the East, Gankutsuou, Escaflowne, Sailor Moon, Serial Experiments Lain, and Vampire Knight. If anyone else is looking into these though, go right ahead (especially Gankutsuou and Lain, since I haven't seen those for awhile).

Also, another that I thought of but don't know enough about: is Paranoia Agent in enough of it's own world to warrant a nomination?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

The world of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Franchise: Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Magic/Technological Base: post-apocalyptic world
Important Locations: Alpha's café
Important Groups: (none)
Description: The full of interesting plants and submerged under water cities world is sparsely populated by both robots and people who survived whatever cataclysm, which caused the rise of the sea level, took place in the past.
What Makes The World-Building Great: Unlike most post-apocalyptic worlds which feed its readers with visions of destroyed earth in which life is a struggle for survival, the landscape in Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is picturesque and the way of living reminds one of our own world prior to the Industrial Revolution where people lead quiet lives.

Voting for:
Roanapur
Humankind Empire Abh, aka Frybaréc Glœr Gor Bari, aka Abh Empire
Aqua
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Future Version of the Milky Way Galaxy
Ikebukuro
Gold Crown Town
The World of A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun
Sternbild City (The world of Tiger and Bunny)
Metropolis
The Twelve Kingdoms
France, The Rose of Versailles
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22