• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Moon Stage Musical's New Cast Photographed in Costume

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aodmisery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
sailor moon looks like a dude, and those wigs are horibble
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Compared to the previous SeraMyu musical looks, the hair, makeup and costumes for the new cast look, by far, the best. No more bright yellow Sailor Moon wig, yay!
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the costume designs and wigs are much better than the previous Sera Myu musicals.

BTW, the actress who's gonna play Queen Serenity is cute. Smile
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Tuxedo Mask looks so dreamy!! Swoon! I just adore how they're going the Takarazuka route and using an all-lady cast. It's going to be gorgeous!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
I like this revival. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Fire up the Tony Awards!
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
I like the new costumes and wigs. I already have tickets for the musical! I think it's for the last day.

But I was unhappy to see that not only Tuxedo Mask is being played by a girl (saw that last time), but Kunzite, Jadite, and the other Shitenou are being played by women. I was really hoping for something more faithful to the original work, with a sense of realism- Like, if Sailor Moon magic really was real, this is what these characters would be like. Not a big fan of crossdressing women in plays.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
The play is made from an all female cast like the last one, and if the performance is really good, it doesn't matter. Also liked what I saw of an all female cast of the Phoenix Wright plays.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm too busy fangirl shrieking at my screen to post something coherent. I do believe I've just been turned into a takarazuka fan.
Rebochan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
But I was unhappy to see that not only Tuxedo Mask is being played by a girl (saw that last time), but Kunzite, Jadite, and the other Shitenou are being played by women. I was really hoping for something more faithful to the original work, with a sense of realism- Like, if Sailor Moon magic really was real, this is what these characters would be like. Not a big fan of crossdressing women in plays.

Naoko Takeuchi personally cast everyone, so this IS faithful to what she wanted. And while this is the first all-female cast, SeraMyu has had crossdressing actors before - Prince Demand was played by a woman, for example, and in the same musical, Petz was played by a man.

If anything, an all-female cast is probably what Takeuchi had in mind when the musicals started in the first place. She's said several times that she's a huge fan of the all-female Takarazuka Revue and both Haruka and Michiru were inspired by them (their initial concepts even had them as performers!). She must have been thrilled to be able to cast some actual Takarazuka actresses.

I was a little bummed because I do like having a mix of voices and some of the Tuxedo Masks have been awesomely sexy, but I'm also interested in how this is going to turn out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1