• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Creator Interviewed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
Very nice interview. I find it especially interesting that Furuba mangaka sees manga from other countries as a positive thing and not a bastardization or misrepresentation.

FB ending in a year? Oh my!
miji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Great interview. I know that Fruits Basket has been doing well in the States, but I didn't think it was doing so well to garner an interview with it's mangaka in Time magazine of all places. Then again, I haven't read Time in many years, and maybe this is something they do often.

Anyway, as much as it pains me, I'm happy that FB is coming to a close. I'd rather it end with at a good time and with conclusions for the trio, than to wander aimlessly with no end in sight. Can't wait until the final chapters are realeased in the States.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
That was a lovely article (I am also quite surprised Time took an interest in Furuba and shoujo manga in general), I just wish it hadn't said 'for girls and teens' so promenantly. I guess it can't be helped though, they probably don't know the readership extends far beyond the teen market. And who cares anyway, Takaya-sensei was in Time magazine! That's some damn fine (and very respectable) publicity for Tokyopop. *grins*

Concluding within the year...uwaaahh. I knew it had to be soon, given the latest chapters, but still...*sniffles* Smile
smoochy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing what she decides to do next. Hopefully a work as enjoyable as Fruits Basket.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
NT: I plan to conclude it within the year.

I wonder what Tokyopop will have left after that...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
For shoujo titles, not much. But they still have Samurai Deeper Kyo which seems to be fairly popular (though nowhere near Fruits Basket) and just hit the halfway point and if they continue to release volumes quarterly, will conclude in 2011.

I was suprised that Natsuki Takaya was interviewed by TIME. I didn't think manga and anime was even on their radar.

And I found it interesting that Natsuki Takaya is a CSI fan. I'm not a fan of the show myself (I prefer Law & Order and NCIS) but its an interesting tidbit of information. Perhaps her next manga will be a crime solving series? Laughing
Ghola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I suppose any time a 'comic' shows up in the top 30 on the USA Today book list someone's going to notice
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
That was a very interesting read, and I'm glad Natsuki Takaya respects that manga isn't being developed just in Japan. Truthfully, I feel that if the creator and author of a certain series of manga lives outside of Japan calls it manga, then it should be called manga. But that's just me.

Teehee, and she likes the same CSI I like, how interesting. I really should pick up the manga some time in my life, I only have the anime at the moment.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the interview. It's great to see manga gaining such a mainstream exposure.
potassium

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
NT: I plan to conclude it within the year.

I wonder what Tokyopop will have left after that...

Battle Roy-oh wait.

"Chibi Vampire"?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
TIME: How do you think that you've influenced a generation of Japanese girls?

I don't think that's the only kind of people that have been inspired (points to self)
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what she decides to do next. Hopefully a work as enjoyable as Fruits Basket.

There's no doubt that based on her work on Furuba, I'd be most keen to at least try out whatever new title she creates.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
Very nice interview. I find it especially interesting that Furuba mangaka sees manga from other countries as a positive thing and not a bastardization or misrepresentation.

FB ending in a year? Oh my!

I agree. I found it to be a very enjoyable interview. The way Ms. Takaya responded to many of the 'hot-button-questions' in my opinion, was very good. I was also happy to hear her views regarding the Nationality issues with manga, especially her enthusiasm for non-Japanese mangakas. Wink

I too was surprised to hear those dreaded-but-inevitable words; "ending of Furuba." And while this fills my heart with sadness, I'm also filled with happiness, as this series has taught me so much about life, the ways in which I see myself, and the people and world around me. Crying or Very sad Of course I'll be sad to see it end, knowing no more will come again... just as I was with other fantastic series, but I know for sure that it will be wonderful right up until the very end... And I just get the feeling that we'll all be glued to each page until the final chapter, the final words (forgive me if this sounded a bit too preachy). Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
She said that she wants to conclude the manga before the year's out. That probably means the last volume will be 22 or 23.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
That sounds about right. I saw on http://www.en.wikipedia.org that it listed the manga's volume count at 22 (currently). That's a very good run for a manga in my opinion. Very Happy

Many of the series I've read or am still reading are pretty short. Averaging at about 6-10 volumes in total, but some are even shorter than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2