• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 5 Funniest Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiei77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I was looking though the forums and i couldnt find a "Funniest Manga" topic, so i decided to make one. I know theres one out there but i cant find it and its too old to revive now (or so i think-what do you think mods?). So anyway, please just list (but no listing of titles only though) and in at least some or full detail explain your Top 5 funniest Manga. Thanks a lot!!

1. and 2. - Tie - Bobobo-bo-bobobo and Cromartie High School - I had such a hard time figuring which one i liked more, so i just paired them up for first and second. Bobobo is just the most random fun I've ever had, and is excellent. Bobobo and crew have some crazy adventures, and the tag team of Poppa Rocks, Jelly Jiggelur (sp) and Bobobo is funny every single time. They all use insane attacks, and sometimes you feel like your head is going to explode with madness, but its awesome. It really sucks that they only released one volume in english though, i would be the happiest man alive if they released the series one day.

Cromartie High School is something I've read recently, and i found it hilarious. I've only read one volume though. I almost died of laughter at some parts, such as the whole blood-type thing with Freddie. Good lord, that was one of the funniest things i ever read period. It starts out innocent enough, with the timid errand guy trying to fit in with a bunch of "badasses". It then evolves into something more, when Yamigawa starts to fit in with everybody and goes with them on adventures. Its comedic gold, and is a highly reccomended read to everyone.

3. Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) - Onizuka wants to be a great teacher and check out the high school chicks. Sounds simple, and it works. If you sit back at the end of the volume and look at some of the situations Onizuka got into, (In volume 2 like 5 crazy things happen all in a row with Onizuka - helping a sucicidal kid, stopping UFO grafittiers, looking up a girls skirt, all on the school roof, and all Onizuka wants is some sleep) you just cant help but laugh. I laughed out loud so many times during the two volumes i read, just at the way he does stuff. A really "great" series, with laughs, cool, and a good story for a comedy, GTO has everything going for it.

4. Eyeshield 21 - Most definately the funniest and best sports manga out there, Eyeshield succeds greatly on both levels. The games are exciting, and the story is good too, (even if its been used before - shy boy has hidden talent, gains courage, that kind of thing) along with one of the best casts of characters in any manga ever. There are so many crazy, hilarious, and cool characters, its insane. It never gets old to see Hiruma go shoot his guns and do crazy stuff, and the conversations between players are funny too. I believe its underrated, because i never hear anyone talk about it. If you haven't read it, your missing out, go get a couple volumes today.

5. Dragon Ball - The origanal shounen comedy, Dragon Ball is the classic. Its so funny to see Son Goku so innocent about everything he does, and how the good ol' perverted master himself Master Roshi does stuff Goku doesn't understand. So many classic parts, its just great. A lighthearted yet must-read for everyone.

And thats my Top 5. Thanks for reading and please include your own!
Webki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I've really only read one "comedy" per say, however it was extremely hilarious, even if I only own the first volume.

Yep, that's right; it's Azumanga Daioh I love the comedic timing and some of the jokes in this one. Osaka truly makes this manga (as well as the anime). However, the rest of the cast is excellent as well, especially Chiyo-chan. She's just so darn cute.

And another manga I am greatly enjoying and I find to be pretty funny is Negima, plus the story and characters are awesome as well. I'm really engrossed in it, at the moment. I just picked up volumes 1-10 and have been reading one or almost one a day.
o2983

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
My Top 5

1st & 2nd tie
Ninin Ga Shinobuden and Shin Genomu by Ryoichi Koga.
His choice of words is great. They are just really funny. When I read Shinobuden for the first time in Japanese, I was eating food at same time, and I almost choked because it was such a funny story...

3rd and 4th tie (but still, very close to 1st & 2nd)
Nangoku Shonen Papuwa-kun and PAPUWA by Ami Shibata
She is without a doubt one of the best comedy manga artists in Japan. PAPUWA anime was released by ADV, and if you watch it, you'll know her talent about jokes.

5th
Gintama by Hideaki Sorachi
The best line from this comic was said by the main character Gintoki, "Damn you!! I told you my name is Gintoki!! If my name was KINtoki, all of this week's Jump will have to be recalled from the retailers!!!" (note that Gintama was featured on the cover of Jump that week. having "Kintama" proudly on display on the magazine rack might have angered a few parents...)
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
My top Five funniest are (in no particular order, again, I hate picking favorites ^^)

Yakitate! Japan License by Viz, and set to come out at some point soon. Actually, this is just my favorite manga in general, but also one of the funniest. It uses puns, my favorite type of joke (as I'm a dork .I like puns and randomosity) and uses them in such painfully corny ways I have to stop reading for a few minutes to recover myself. It's also just a really great manga. You can't stop reading it. Not something you’d expect for manga entirely about....Bread.
Yeah. Even then Title's a pun. Awesome.

My Name is Zushio. This one will never be licensed, and when you read it, you know why. It just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. You sit there reading and it's like *blink blink*...WHAT?
Seriously , an entire team of people, not just the mangaka, must have been on some serious 'shrooms. I’ve got no idea what kinda cracked up editor and company would publish it, but I ‘m glad they did. Even though it's all completely crazy, you can't help just thinking that there's really something behind all of it though. Is the entire thing just crazy? Or is it really deep? The world may never know. Its only three volumes.

Cromartie High School It's already been mentioned but I think it warrants another one. It's crazy and random, much like Zushio, but it gives an...odd perspective on things. It’s told in a great original way, and it introduced situations you’d normally never even think about. It's quickly becoming a cult favorite, and there's a good reason for it. Also already licensed,

Great Teacher Onizuka Again already mentioned, and again, for good reason. It provides not only the second largest dork-joke reservoir (next to Yakitate!) it's also got a nice mix of different types of joke. You've got your dork jokes; your dirty jokes, your random crazy ness, and your awkward situations. A complete package for complete nutcases. At first I felt guilty for reading it, but once you pick it up, there's no stopping you. It's been licensed (and finished) by Tokyopop for ages.

Jungle wa Istumo Hale Nochi Guu (Hare+Guu) The manga's not yet licensed (unfortunately, I haven't figured out why) and is every bit as...um….special as the anime. I'm not even sure where to start with one. It's got a perfect ratio of drama and frightening craziness. I have dreams of little girls in towels eating my afro....In my dreams I have an afro. Anyway, it's a favorite in Japan, and I haven't figured why the manga hasn't caught on here yet. The back issues of it kept me company on many a typhoon-y day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hiei77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Cool, good responses guys. I've seen Azumanga Daioh in the library, so ill check out a couple volumes. And Gintama looks great, definately going to buy the first volume when it arrives. And its also good to see some Cromartie love, it seems like nobody really talks about that on here either. And last, i forgot to mention in the opener, if youve never read 5 comedy mangas, just list and detail 3, 2, or 1 volume of it. Thanks!
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
I don't read much in the way of comedy manga...The funniest (by far) I've ever read is GTO, followed by Shounan Junai Gumi. After that...well, I've always found Berserk to be hilarious at times (yet another reason why I love it), and I've found parts of Gantz to be quite amusing, though it is a decidedly demented choice. Shonen romance series (aside from being trash) are often unintentionally hilarious, given the idiotic behavior of every character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Webki wrote:

Yep, that's right; it's Azumanga Daioh I love the comedic timing and some of the jokes in this one. Osaka truly makes this manga (as well as the anime). However, the rest of the cast is excellent as well, especially Chiyo-chan. She's just so darn cute.

You should definately check out Yotsuba&! by the same manga-ka as Azumanga Daioh, Kiyohiko Azuma. The main character, Yotsuba, looks just like Chiyo-chan (probably younger) except she's much more mischievous, but still down-right adorable. It's an episodic style slice-of-life manga, but unlike Azumanga Daioh, it revolves mainly around the antics of Yotsuba as opposed to a group of friends. I believe there are 5 volumes out in Japan, and the first 3 have been translated into English (real versions, not scanlations).

I read the Chinese translation of vol. 5 yesterday and was instantly hooked. My Chinese is pretty shakey and I usually avoid reading Chinese books, but this manga has such simple, yet hilarious dialogue and characters that I found myself really enjoying it. I'm debating whether to buy the Chinese versions in Hong Kong or wait until I get back to the UK and buy the English versions (for a higher price).
MilkManX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Dont forget about Dr Slump!

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
1. Cromartie High School. Already been summarized. I have the first 7 volumes and besides volume 5 being a little weak in spots, some run-on gags getting a tad annoying, it's the funniest manga I've ever read.

2. Bobobo! Already been summed up pretty well, whacky and wild plays on shonen cliches.

3. One Piece - not just a comedy but worth a mention as almost everything has a quirky sense of humor in OP world.

4. ES21 - ALREADY been laid out

5. Excel Saga. Not a great manga by any means but inspired my favorite comedy anime next to hare and guu so it gets props.
Webki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
Webki wrote:

You should definately check out Yotsuba&! by the same manga-ka as Azumanga Daioh, Kiyohiko Azuma. The main character, Yotsuba, looks just like Chiyo-chan (probably younger) except she's much more mischievous, but still down-right adorable. It's an episodic style slice-of-life manga, but unlike Azumanga Daioh, it revolves mainly around the antics of Yotsuba as opposed to a group of friends. I believe there are 5 volumes out in Japan, and the first 3 have been translated into English (real versions, not scanlations).

I read the Chinese translation of vol. 5 yesterday and was instantly hooked. My Chinese is pretty shakey and I usually avoid reading Chinese books, but this manga has such simple, yet hilarious dialogue and characters that I found myself really enjoying it. I'm debating whether to buy the Chinese versions in Hong Kong or wait until I get back to the UK and buy the English versions (for a higher price).

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely going to head over to Barnes and Noble and see if they have it in stock there.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Although it is an OEL title (or perhaps because of it), I find Dramacon to be one of the funniest graphic novels/manga that I've read. Of course, the fact that I help run a convention (Animaritimes) probably makes the humour surrounding an anime con more amusing for me and I love the fact that cultural stuff isn't going over my head due to the fact that I'm not Japanese (hence why the OEL part might be why it's so funny). I just can't wait for volume 2 to finally come out, it's been such a long wait (just over a year, I think).
Hiei77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
1. Cromartie High School. Already been summarized. I have the first 7 volumes and besides volume 5 being a little weak in spots, some run-on gags getting a tad annoying, it's the funniest manga I've ever read.

2. Bobobo! Already been summed up pretty well, whacky and wild plays on shonen cliches.

3. One Piece - not just a comedy but worth a mention as almost everything has a quirky sense of humor in OP world.

4. ES21 - ALREADY been laid out

5. Excel Saga. Not a great manga by any means but inspired my favorite comedy anime next to hare and guu so it gets props.

Laughing Looks like we have a lot of the same likings!! I love One Piece too, probably in my Top 10. Have to get Volume 12.
DarkAnarchy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
binbougami ga!- great slapstick comedy with a good story, 16 volumes and anime

seitokai yakuindomo- 4 panel manga with a lot of sexuell jokes, don´t stop reading after a few chapters, you will miss one of the best mangas ever! the anime is also great, 2 seasons with ovas

d-frag! - i think the manga is still better as the anime, but both are great

medaka box- greatest action comedy ever, 22 volumes and 2 animeseasons

kore wa zombie desu ka! - based of a light novel serie, just watch the anime, the manga isn´t that good. it´s about a zombie boy who´s also a magical girl and lives together with vampire-ninjas, a necromancer and a magical girl, 2 seasons + ovas
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
DarkAnarchy, please observe our policy on necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1