• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Swedish Fansub Site Closed By Copyright Enforcement Agency

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait...what's wrong with this service? Not like it's cutting into the profit of any company that might be releasing things.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
Wait...what's wrong with this service? Not like it's cutting into the profit of any company that might be releasing things.

I won't even ask HOW FAR many anal copyright holders will take it with media :/ Movies do get official subs in other languages on DVD/blu, so maybe it was movies that had them made officially? I have no idea. If it's media related and popular, it'll get taken down :/
bradc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

I won't even ask HOW FAR many anal copyright holders will take it with media :/ Movies do get official subs in other languages on DVD/blu, so maybe it was movies that had them made officially? I have no idea. If it's media related and popular, it'll get taken down :/

Free speech... or in this case fans translations of subtitles are now copyright infringement. Copyright Law telling their people to be quiet and be good obeying citizen.... It's revolting....

Last edited by bradc on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akukame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
On the part about Poland. Since when was ignorance of the law a valid defense anywhere in the world.

zendervai wrote:

There is the issue of importation or reverse importation or what not. Some companies do view this as an issue. Intellectual property laws vary very widely from country to country. There is also the issue of whether the dialogue from a movie could be considered intellectual property of the rights holders, which it likely can be, even in the US.

Its a little less gray if you're talking about something like a book. If you translate a book and distribute the translation, that's pretty obviously illegal. So if you translate a movie and distribute the translation, that's very similar. What makes the movie translation so different?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I also fail to see how providing free text translation even remotely constitutes a crime of any kind. It's like arresting the people who make plastic sandwich bags because drug dealers sometimes sell their product in them.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
bradc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
What makes the movie translation so different?

Fan translation vs. professional. Not much different, except interpretation of the translator. Already lost in translations with freedom of speech in the language and linguistic point of view.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
Free speech... or in this case fans translations of subtitles are now copyright infringement. Copyright Law telling their people to be quiet and be good obeying citizen.... It's revolting....

Not all speech is protected. You can't, for example, go into a theater and shout "fire" when there isn't one --- it's inciting a public panic, which infringes on people's right to peace and general safety. As another example, you can't lie in an advertising campaign and claim your drug is safe, when it actually has deadly side effects. Speech is only 'free' so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others, which is basically the problem in this case. The content of those translations was originally created by someone else, and distributing it for free equates to a copyright violation. I would admit that there are more gross offenders to copyright than these text translation websites, but that doesn't make them any less subject to the law.
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
"How dare you offer subtitles for the shows we're too damn lazy to subtitle ourselves for other languages!"
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused, hasn't The Pirate Bay been dodging the law for years? Why would Sweden crack down on something this small?
mehh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
This is BS. If they were not even hosting videos files, just FANMADE Subtitle files for movies and TV series, then for this to be taken downs is just ridiculous. These companies are way too power hungry, the fact that they'd take down a site like this, that wouldn't restrict their profits, is absolutely appalling and they should be ashamed of themselves. Clear abuse pf power...
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Clearly the name of the group is what tipped off the authorities. Domestic sub groups have been skating by because watchdogs think they're big fans of sandwiches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

it has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Fan sub is always illegal even in US even if it's just text. We just don't care about it.

Those text are just like text from books. is it free speech if I post fan translate English books in Spanish, Japanese in my website? Am i'm protected or not

They clearly just go after them for no other reason to just make an example out of this website.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
So basically if the movie/TV show is not officially available in a language you know, you're screwed? That makes perfect sense.

Last edited by Pokenatic on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bradc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

it has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Fan sub is always illegal even in US even if it's just text. We just don't care about it.

Those text are just like text from books. is it free speech if I post fan translate English books in Spanish, Japanese in my website? Am i'm protected or not

They clearly just go after them for no other reason to just make an example out of this website.

Subtitles are language are that are form of speech in any language. Because it is fanmade, so fans aren't allow to sub anything and it's now consider copyright? This isn't plagiarism where words are copy word for word... Because it's translated by fans (consumers) based on interpretation on how it's been translated. This whole debate eats itself up into pointlessness.

Isn't your basic right is freedom of speech... You can say whatever you want. But not according this copyright infringement, you are not allow to make subtitles in any language you speak.

Last edited by bradc on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting from the article
Quote:
They are obviously very popular with consumers of pirated content, but even Netflix used some fansubs to add subtitles to their movies in Finland.

And this much is true:
Quote:
However they are still unpaid labors of love produced by fans of certain shows and movies, more akin to a remix than wholesale piracy, and they are very valuable in underserved markets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3